How would you HONESTLY deal with this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you HONESTLY deal with this?

How would you HONESTLY deal with this?

O.k. here the situation. I work for my family. We own a custom kitchen company. We have a shop in a complex full of other units. Recently we got new neighbors who seem to have a habit of smoking pot whenever they are working in their shop. I don't care if they smoke but what happens is my whole shop starts to smell. We have got lucky since they moved in and never had a costumer in our shop while its reeked of pot. I have had representatives from some of my suppliers come in while it stinks in here. Twice its resulted in them calling my father (owner of our company) and tell him I'm in here getting high while he's not here. My dad is quite aware of the problem and knows its not me but it has resulted in awkwardness the next time I see these reps. The problem is we have already complained to the property managers about the way the park all over our spots and how they have even Parks in front of our bay door and left resulting in us missing out on meterial deliveries. So far the few complaints have left sort of a tension in the air between us. No words have been spoken, but you can feel it. Now what am I going to do? Start an all out war? I'm not an anti pot person, in fact I like to smoke a little here and there. However at work its just not coming off well. If they could contain the smell to their shop I would have no problems at all. It can't just be me though. They are sandwiched between two shops and one behind them. Im thinking of talking to the other shop owners and getting their opinion of what we should do or if its even bothering them. Actually as I'm typing this its starting to smell in here. Really, what's a viable option here? I'm not looking to start war here but I can tell you, with these guys even a friendly request will cause problems. They have this don't "F" with us attitude.

This is my signature

Re: How would you HONESTLY deal with this?

fans?

Quote Originally Posted by vrus View Post
    fans?
    Yeah I got fans, if it worked I'd have nothing to care about.

This is my signature

Cops?

Maybe they're growing
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

Simply tell them the issue and inform them you will have to have their vehicles towed if they block your door. Next step is to call the landlord smells should not be travelling from one unit to the other if the fire separation is done properly.

I would talk with all the other tenants about what you plan on doing then phone the police. These people are f-ing with your lively hood. Time to squash it before you lose any other business over this.
    New to me for 2012.

Cops.
    Thats what they are there for.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Simply tell them the issue and inform them you will have to have their vehicles towed if they block your door. Next step is to call the landlord smells should not be travelling from one unit to the other if the fire separation is done properly.
    I can't begin to tell you how many holes in the mortar lines I've filled in here, and eveytime I looked I find more. You can see daylight through some.

As for the parking it has got much better but I think its because they ****** of the property manager as well.
    This is my signature

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    Cops.
    Thats what they are there for.
    I would feel like such a tool calling the cops. Getting them busted for smoking pot? I smoke a bit as well but I never do it at work. I'd feel like a jerk doing that only because I use it as well. I don't believe in the prohibition of pot but I do believe in it not intruding on others with it.

This is my signature
    Last edited by Venom01; 04-25-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Mmmhmm sure it's not you lol

Kidding aside, I would've confronted them before doing anything else. Not to start a conflict but just to politely ask that they stop or confine their smoking to an area where it won't seep into your family's shop. I'd explain I'm not against it but it affects business and your family's ability to earn income. If they refuse then diplomacy has ended and it's time to prep for war. I'd have no problem taking stronger measures which includes calling the cops if need be.

talk to the neighbors (other neighbors) and see if you are alone or if they are also bothered...

i would also call the cops if the pot smoke is getting to be too much ...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Quote Originally Posted by Venom01 View Post
    I would feel like such a tool calling the cops. Getting them busted for smoking pot? I smoke a bit as well but I never do it at work. I'd feel like a jerk doing that only because I use it as well. I don't believe in the prohibition of pot but I do believe in it not intruding on others with it.

This is my signature
    You should feel more like a tool for letting a bunch of lowlives bully you into asking on a message board instead of doing what needs to be done to protect your family business.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

This is my signature
    Call the cops. When the pot smoking starts costing you and your family money, you won't feel like a tool.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

You should feel more like a tool for letting a bunch of lowlives bully you into asking on a message board instead of doing what needs to be done to protect your family business.
    Ultimately I can't take the action, its really up to the boss. We can't afford to start a war, at least not right now. I really don't know what to think of these guys. When we complained about the parking, well after that we got a knock on our door from the cops at 3 am saying someone torched our van. Did they do it? No proof, still a little weird don't you think? I'm going the route of talking to the other neighbors the then them, or rather the guy who owns the shop. If that won't work property manager. I know the smell is going to bite me in the *** if a costumer is scheduled to come in for a meeting and the shop reeks. You guys are right, doing nothing is going to accomplish anything, but I'm going to try to avoid the cops. I don't want to be a pussy about it but we lost 2 guys and I'm working overtime to keep things going. A war with neighbors is going to be VERY counter productive at this time.

This is my signature

i don't actually care. you asked for advice and you got it. Whether you take it or not is up to you.

Talk to the property manger and demand that they fix the fire separation, if they do not call the FD if this is done right there will be no smells travelling between units. This should be done regardless of what you do about the neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Talk to the property manger and demand that they fix the fire separation, if they do not call the FD if this is done right there will be no smells travelling between units. This should be done regardless of what you do about the neighbors.
    Funny you say that we get an inspection from the FD every year, they seem to think everything g is fine in here and they take a good look around. Ill ask about that.

This is my signature

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    I would talk with all the other tenants about what you plan on doing then phone the police. These people are f-ing with your lively hood. Time to squash it before you lose any other business over this.
    +100000000000000000000

This is my signature
    I am cool with pot as long as it is done responsibly. Don't impose it on others and don't smoke and drive/work. Pot is like alcohol to me so I treat it the same way. I wouldn't drink a work for example. The only thing that keeps me away from it right now is I am trying to move stateside and they are pot nazis there.

Back on point your neighbours are not being cool or responsible about it. AND to top it off it is affecting your work. Because of their ‘f it all’ attitude I say fair game with the authorities. Inform the landlord you are calling the authorities and then call the cops.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Funny you say that we get an inspection from the FD every year, they seem to think everything g is fine in here and they take a good look around. Ill ask about that.

This is my signature
    If it has holes its not ok. They must be not looking thoroughly. Requires a 1 hour fire seperation depending on the businesses in the units but thats the lowest rating required.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Sorry, but this came to mind immediately after I read the first post.

Somehow, the GTAM board is bunch of experts/consultants in all kinds of trade. Amazing skill of GTAM ... LOL