M1 Exit times for each part

Thread: M1 Exit times for each part

M1 Exit times for each part

Okay so I have read a ton of great information about each of the tests, and I have practiced quite a bit for my M1 Exit, which is next Friday, and for the record I have a Ninja 250. Anyways I have no trouble with the serpentine or any of it actually as I have measured it out and set up in the arena parking lot. I have read the hand book and the one thing I have not been able to find on any of the posts here is that it states in the book that there is a time limit for each section, so how long do we have for each part of the test. I can do the serpentine fairly quick and I can also do it at a snails pace, but I am not sure how fast I should do it. If any of you have done it recently or remember how long you have that information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Jay

Re: M1 Exit times for each part

We had the same question during the exam. They said they're not allowed to tell us. Apparently it's a secret but they do give you more than enough time. Just try to finish each section as quickly as possible. If you're confident in your abilities you shouldn't have a problem as it's designed to penalize students who are still shaky and afraid to pick up the speed.

It really depends on if you demonstrate proper control and handling of your bike...I blazed through it on my 250 and some guys failed miserably on supersports, they were literally duck walking the bike and the examiner said you have to ride it, not roll it. There was one veteran rider on a GSXR-1000 and he took all day, touched his feet down a couple times and still managed to pass, but it was horrendous watching him.
    All the other guys were asking me to borrow my bike and complaining how its impossible to do it on a SS...

Thanks, that is good to know, as I am confident, but as I said I can do it at a snails pace, which is tougher, than going a bit quicker. The little bit faster pace is much easier too.

One more question about the fast stop on the line, is it alright to stop just before the line or do you have to stop directly on it. I ask because when I have been practicing I was using the lines on the parking spots and I would get up to around 40 km/hr and stop fast, using both brakes, and I was stopping before the line, is that alright?

@LoneRonin Thanks for that reply, that is more along the lines of what I was looking for, as I said I can to it very slow, but it is no where near as smooth as a touch faster. And I hope to hell you didn't lone your bike to those guys. lol

Are you taking the test through the ministry or a course? I know the times for the course but for example the serpentine isnt part of the test for the courses.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Jay72 View Post
    One more question about the fast stop on the line, is it alright to stop just before the line or do you have to stop directly on it. I ask because when I have been practicing I was using the lines on the parking spots and I would get up to around 40 km/hr and stop fast, using both brakes, and I was stopping before the line, is that alright?
    When I did it with RTI (first week of April), for the 'stop in the box' items you had to stop in the box, not before. I lost points on the first two tests they did as the first time I stopped a few inches before the box, and the second time I stopped on the line. For those, the front tire had to be in the box. For the emergency braking, braking in a curve, etc...those you just had to stop the bike within the in box, but it didn't matter where as long as you were inside the box.

Hope this helps.
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by conundrum View Post
    When I did it with RTI (first week of April), for the 'stop in the box' items you had to stop in the box, not before. I lost points on the first two tests they did as the first time I stopped a few inches before the box, and the second time I stopped on the line. For those, the front tire had to be in the box. For the emergency braking, braking in a curve, etc...those you just had to stop the bike within the in box, but it didn't matter where as long as you were inside the box.

Hope this helps.
    Helps some, thank you but I am just taking the test at the MTO so it is somewhat different than what you do when you take the course.

Quote Originally Posted by conundrum View Post

Hope this helps.
    That scenerio is an 8 meter stop. You are timed between two sets of cones to ensure you are getting to the right speed and then expected to stop anywhere before that line safely. There are no points for being ugly in your execution but we aim for smooth.

Basically the points for a test are as follows:

Speeds, each exercise is expected to hit certain speeds. Mid second gear on a low cc bike like a cbr 125 is where we aim for. Depending on how slow you go its compounding points.

Hit a cone or go out of the exercise. These are usually how someone will rack up the points and fast.

Put a foot down - its a point for the first time 3 if done twice etc etc.

Stall. These also rack up points fast and depending on the exercise will affect your time. So if you do stall get the bike back running and going as fast and smoothly as you can. Also compounding.

Drop the bike - instant fail.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

low-mid second gear on your ninja 250 will be fine.

You don't have to go blazingly fast, but snails pace will fail you (if you go too slow on all the exercises you will fail I believe).

Be smooth, and accelerate briskly to mid second gear. Don't put your foot down and don't touch the lines.

If you drop the bike at any point during the test (either standing in line or moving), you fail.

The test is set up so that you can mess up a bit and still pass, just don't let the mess ups add up.

For instance I hit the line on the first exercise (right hander from a stop), and only got 3 points I think.

You need to get 12+ points in order to fail. Thus I could have probably stalled the bike twice, and hit another line and I still would have barely passed. But I still would have passed!

WOW cat you are one fast cookie!
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

Quote Originally Posted by wearelopey View Post
    If You need to get 12+ points in order to fail. Thus I could have probably stalled the bike twice, and hit another line and I still would have barely passed. But I still would have passed!

WOW cat you are one fast cookie!
    Yep you can def mess up and still pass. Hard part is watching students make a minor mistake and then stumble the rest of the test because that one stumble messes them up mentally and makes things worse.

12 points is the fail point. 11 pass, 12 fail.

And yep I can be fast lol.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Is it part of the test still to push the bike in a figure 8? My Dad's scooter is so big he cant do that...
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet132 View Post
    Is it part of the test still to push the bike in a figure 8? My Dad's scooter is so big he cant do that...
    If you do the test at a drivetest center you will need to push the bike, but if you take a course you will not.
    2005 Kawasaki z750s
    1980 Yamasaki ZXS650 "Lunatic Fringe"

Instructor for www.learningcurves.ca

yes it is...
    If its too big for him to push in a figure 8 its going to be a problem for sure. Look into renting something small like a Vespa...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
    yes it is...
    If its too big for him to push in a figure 8 its going to be a problem for sure. Look into renting something small like a Vespa...
    Nooooooo and then he gets a lovely 'L' slapped on to his license and can only ever ride a limited speed bike.
    Go with something that won't get an 'L'

All the same work and same test to get a restricted license. It's silly.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Or pay to take the course and test...nice light bike and no walking it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
    yes it is...
    Where could he rent a 150cc+ Vespa? With it being 150cc+ it can go over 70 which would mean no restriction. GTA Exotics no longer rents scooters so that is not an option.
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Where could he rent a 150cc+ Vespa? With it being 150cc+ it can go over 70 which would mean no restriction. GTA Exotics no longer rents scooters so that is not an option.
    +1000000000000 My advice is to take the test with something over 150 so you dont get that silly 'L'. Do you really want to go through the SAME tests again later just because you want to ride a bigger bike. Just get it once.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T