Insure an Ontario bike for a foreign license holder.

Thread: Insure an Ontario bike for a foreign license holder.

Question Insure an Ontario bike for a foreign license holder.

I have a UK license and an IDL. I have bought a motorcycle in Ontario in order to do some touring around North America. I need insurance in order to license the motorcycle. Is there anyone who can insure me?

Re: Insure an Ontario bike for a foreign license holder.

Go get your M1 for like $17 and then you will have an Ontario license.....
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Smile Re: Insure an Ontario bike for a foreign license holder.

Just when through this when a girl a works cousin showed up on her door step from Belgium.OMG.We first got a broker who eventually got him insurance and it had to be a 6 month contract,he did get money back as he was here for only 4 months in the end(think it was JEVCO).Then to actually get insurance we had to go to the cultural center to have his license translated $80.They made him write either the M1 or a test like the m1 and TOOK his license in exchange.The restrictions were no major highways but i think he could ride at night and was restricted to 750 cc bike or less.Best bet is to go the the MTO and find out the procedure yourself first.He had a EU or international license to begin with.The MTO is the first place to go before getting a bike and insurance since you have both a UK and IDL .The UK license may help more and a dealer may not sell you a bike and you wont get insurance without a Canadian license.Photo copy your U.K and IDL first.He bought an SV and road xCanada Good luck and ride safeIt was a royal PITA to say the least but well worth it to him
    Last edited by matt123; 04-25-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Re: Insure an Ontario bike for a foreign license holder.

Get your M1 definetly but be prepared for insurance rates that might not take into consideration your out-of-North America riding experience. Most of Ontario insurance policies are also 1year contracts that assume the riding season months are the highest-risk/costliest months out of the year. Therefore, if someone quotes you $2000/yr ($167/month), don't expect to ride for 4 months and only pay $167x4. You will most likely end up paying about 60 to 90% of your annual premium - some companies will charge 100% of the yearly premium if you ride/stay on risk for more than 151days. Make sure you call around, do your research, and ask any questions you might have before signing any insurance application.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"