Part Time Work for 15yr old son - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Part Time Work for 15yr old son

Re: Part Time Work for 15yr old son

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    There are always places looking for seasonal help that involve staying at the farm... But then it's way more than part time and 5 am work days would make him hate it.
    Given that his location is Brampton, there's a good chance he can find a few farms in the area, or failing that, Caledon or King.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

I swept up Machine Shops over my high school summers. It sucked ***, and pushed me out of doing a trade.
    New to me for 2012.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Yup...it's 14. It isn't hard getting a first job; it's only hard getting a good first one...just apply at a bunch of places & one of them will call him back - it'd be even better if he handed his resume to the manager, himself. & +1 to fast food. That was a good first job for me to realize that I needed to make more money.

Theatre's are a decent place to check...same for wonderland. If he doesn't mind the commute, CNE will have 12 hour shifts every day once they open up (he'll make a lot of friends there, as well).

If he's not lazy, I would suggest starting off as a busser at a restaurant...it's a great industry to put him through school + if he can manage to move up, he can be bartending at 18.

There are better jobs out there, but these ones would be your best bet for building work ethic & learning the value of money & all that stuff.

I would only pick retail as a last resort because it generally only has 2 seasons where the money's consistent (summer & winter or summer & fall), and it sort of teaches people that they don't need to work too hard; it makes for bad habits lol.

pretty sure all first jobs suck =D
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Make sure he leaves the damn cell phone at home.

too many kids spend too much time texting, instead of working.

Quote Originally Posted by cola_fiend2003 View Post
    I have a 15 yr old son who is in need of a job to understand responsibility as well as the value of a buck. It'll be his first job. Anyone have any leads in the Brampton area? It is just for the summer as he is back in school in September. Maybe the job can continue even after he starts school again. A couple evenings and weekends.

PS. I'm not looking for parenting advise here. Only getting my son started in the real world. He wants to earn money too. Teens need 'stuff'

Cheers
    My lad did a few different ones. Loblaws, local supermarket, East Side Marios kitchen, that sort of stuff. Be prepared for him to get crappy shifts though which means mum or dad going to pick him up when he's done. At 15 he's not really going to get anything too good unfortunately. Get him to draft a resume. I know most places need an application form filling in but doing his own resume helps him realise what he has to offer and what he may want to do.

I think Wonderland are done hiring, although it's always worth a phone call. My daughter starts there on May 1st. They started the hiring process in February.
    Last edited by Fiery254; 04-25-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post

Funny, I was in Canadian Tire the other day and saw one of the floor guys sitting and talking on his cell in the sporting goods section.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Good luck finding a farm in the city
    Good luck finding any job in Brampton that he will be willing to do. If he is anything like most Brampton kids McDs is out, slogging dishes is out......

Believe me I know....I have three of them.
    Sorry, Luke. I'm just doing my job. You gotta appreciate that. Nah, calling it your job don't make it right Boss.

So true, I fire most employees like that.

Grocery stores... stocking shelves.
    Or McDonalds
    Matte White 06 CBR1000RR
    ~Full Ti Termignoni Exhaust/Custom Carbon Ti Muffler ~PCIII ~Flapper Mod ~BMC Race Filters ~AFAM -1/+1 ~Gilles Tooling VCR Rearsets ~Gilles Tooling X-Treme Levers Short ~SpeedoHealer ~Spiegler SS Lines ~GSG Rear Brake Res ~FP Racing Caliper Relocator Bracket ~Galfer Wave Rotor ~Pro Series C/F Swingarm Protectors ~CleverWolf C/F Tank Guard ~CRG Bar end Mirror ~8000K HID ~Powder Coated Wheels ~Hotbodies Smoked Flushmounts ~CA Smoked Integrated TailLight ~Smoked Windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Funny, I was in Canadian Tire the other day and saw one of the floor guys sitting and talking on his cell in the sporting goods section.
    Could be on his break. With that being said, during my aisle-monkeying days, I'd get off the floor on my breaks. Didn't want them interrupted by inquiring minds of our dearest customers
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by cola_fiend2003 View Post
    Thjat link is gr8. Cheers
    Fast food is the way in. McDonald's has a great training program that teaches discipline, patience and the art of multi-tasking. Not to mention it is fun to work with people of a similar age.

Fast food joints have high turn over and are always looking. He should walk in, well-groomed and speak to the manager. Sending in a resume will get thrown in the pile.
    Last edited by Dresden; 04-26-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Never to be taken seriously. Ever.

I had my first job at tim hortons when I was 15. couldn't complain, I think I hated my job less than my friends who were in retail

Roger,

I talk to one of the my co workers, his son works at one of the Mcdonalds near by you. See if he can help you get in their for a job.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Look in to training him to be a life guard at a swimming pool. That's probably one of the coolest jobs you can get as a teen.

Also you might want to look in to Summer helper program in various trades. It would give him some insight if he would like to purse trades. There's way too much misinformation and misrepresentation floating around about them.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Mow lawns, that's what I did.
    But it would kill my lawnmower....And just another thing to clutter my garage, another mower. But it is a thought. But then again, he'd need a way to get gas and I don't want him shaving any close neighbour's grass down to the roots...lol..

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Correct, he can work at 14 with parental consent.
    As much as i hate to say it, send him to the fast food chains for at least 6 months.
    It teaches valuable skills he will need in the workforce.
    I don't mean flipping burgers as much as dealing with several lame bosses, crappy customers, fast paced stress, it's a good eye opener and he will appreciate getting a real job after that.
    I have heard good things about McD's work structures. That is definately a do'er. And he actually agreed when I mentioned McD to him.

Already took that away. For the exact same reason you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    My lad did a few different ones. Loblaws, local supermarket, East Side Marios kitchen, that sort of stuff. Be prepared for him to get crappy shifts though which means mum or dad going to pick him up when he's done. At 15 he's not really going to get anything too good unfortunately. Get him to draft a resume. I know most places need an application form filling in but doing his own resume helps him realise what he has to offer and what he may want to do.

I think Wonderland are done hiring, although it's always worth a phone call. My daughter starts there on May 1st. They started the hiring process in February.
    He has been told bluntly, 'Daddy and Mommy ain't gonna chauffer his *** around town anymore. The bus goes anywhere he needs to be. He and his friends need to grow a pair and get much more independant! Tell the other "girls" to step up too.' Straight up!!!!! (Sorry ladies. That was not meant in a bad way, but no boy wants to be called a girl...)

Quote Originally Posted by hdsomeday View Post
    Good luck finding any job in Brampton that he will be willing to do. If he is anything like most Brampton kids McDs is out, slogging dishes is out......

Believe me I know....I have three of them.
    He actually doesn't mind at all. Friends also work there I guess. Also he really wants to earn something anyway he legally can.

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    Roger,

I talk to one of the my co workers, his son works at one of the Mcdonalds near by you. See if he can help you get in their for a job.
    Lemme know Chris.