Part Time Work for 15yr old son

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part Time Work for 15yr old son

Part Time Work for 15yr old son

I have a 15 yr old son who is in need of a job to understand responsibility as well as the value of a buck. It'll be his first job. Anyone have any leads in the Brampton area? It is just for the summer as he is back in school in September. Maybe the job can continue even after he starts school again. A couple evenings and weekends.

PS. I'm not looking for parenting advise here. Only getting my son started in the real world. He wants to earn money too. Teens need 'stuff'

Cheers

Re: Part Time Work for 15yr old son

i think kids need to be at least 16 years old to work legally in ontario

Quote Originally Posted by cola_fiend2003 View Post
    I have a 15 yr old son who is in need of a job to understand responsibility as well as the value of a buck. It'll be his first job. Anyone have any leads in the Brampton area? It is just for the summer as he is back in school in September. Maybe the job can continue even after he starts school again. A couple evenings and weekends.

PS. I'm not looking for parenting advise here. Only getting my son started in the real world. He wants to earn money too. Teens need 'stuff'

Cheers
    Movie Theatre, they will hire him as long as you sign a letter allowing it (under 16). My buddy is the gm at the Mississauga silver city but that may be to far, have him go to the operations manager at the Brampton silver city and ask him directly for a job.

Back in the day if a kid showed up looking decent and I needed someone I would interview and hire on the spot

Best time to apply is on a Friday night in between shows at around 815pm

Its been a while since I was the GM (thank god) so I can not help
    Last edited by ZX600; 04-24-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Does he have any skills? If he's good with computers, he might get a piecework service job with a small shop. Aisle-monkey at a grocery store? (*) By the way, why parenting advice? Sounds to me that you're doing just fine.

(*) Having been one, I have the right to use the derogatory term
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Thjat link is gr8. Cheers

What will make the experience even more authentic is if he gets to enjoy a horrible commute as well.

Canada's Wonderland hires a lot of youths over the summer. From Brampton, he can take the bus to get there.

Other than that, apply at all the grocery stores in the area. That was my first legal job when I turned 15.

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

He could be a dish monkey at a restaurant. I know while I was in high school a lot of people were working at Orion Gate theater at steeles. Also see what the parks and rec have to offer. I taught skating for a few years since I was 15
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

Roger,

Both McDonalds near you should be hiring. You can also try the new DQ in your area as well.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

If he has no luck at all then perhaps you should consider paying him to do volunteer work.
    $5 per hour to do something charitable like push old people in wheelchairs around in nursing homes or something like that.
    The hospitals are another option or local food bank.
    Maybe do a search for "volunteer brampton"
    Better than playing computer games all summer.
    When you want something done in the worst way, that's usually the way it is implimented... in the worst way.

I got a job in a hot factory working for near minimum wage my first summer working. It was absolutely amazing because it made me realize that's NOT what I want to do for the rest of my life. It was great motivation to work hard and be responsible for my own future!

So in other words, if you're having issues with him being motivated, I'd suggest a factory job. (But make sure it's not one of those extremely well paying factory jobs though. That might have a negative effect.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewDude View Post
    I got a job in a hot factory working for near minimum wage my first summer working. It was absolutely amazing because it made me realize that's NOT what I want to do for the rest of my life. It was great motivation to work hard and be responsible for my own future!

So in other words, if you're having issues with him being motivated, I'd suggest a factory job. (But make sure it's not one of those extremely well paying factory jobs though. That might have a negative effect.)
    Worked at a factory once. I did 13hr shifts, the sole of my feet will feel so sore, its tender to the touch.
    At the end of the day, I feel like if someone had used a baseball bat to beat me.

But good on OP for what he is doing, I would do the same if I had a kid
    Resident Loudmouth

Mow lawns, that's what I did.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by Jlin View Post
    Thought it was ok as long as you had parent permission?!?

Lots of great ideas and OP I think that is an awesome idea. I had my own on the side business cleaning houses for real estate agents at 15 and it really helped set me up. Also my mom would let me help her pay the bills. I paid for the car insurance (its only $30 a month where she is) and I got once a week access to the car. Course had to pay my own gas also but it helped. I just gave her the money and she actually did the paying but it got the idea through AND I got something in return. For the rest of the bills she included me in the process. She would hand me the money she wanted to put towards bills each week and we would sit down and go over where the money should go and why. Let me see what running a house costs really.

Another awesome thing my dad did was make me pay rent. 25% of each pay and what I didn't know until I moved out was that money was saved for me as a moving out gift.

Two things I want to repeat with my own kids.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Farm work.
    Good solid hard work and you earn the money you make, and it'll put some muscle on to the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Mow lawns, that's what I did.
    I love mowing lawns!!!
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    Farm work.
    Good solid hard work and you earn the money you make, and it'll put some muscle on to the kid.
    Good luck finding a farm in the city
    Resident Loudmouth

Fourteen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlin View Post

Correct, he can work at 14 with parental consent.
    As much as i hate to say it, send him to the fast food chains for at least 6 months.
    It teaches valuable skills he will need in the workforce.
    I don't mean flipping burgers as much as dealing with several lame bosses, crappy customers, fast paced stress, it's a good eye opener and he will appreciate getting a real job after that.

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Good luck finding a farm in the city
    There are always places looking for seasonal help that involve staying at the farm... But then it's way more than part time and 5 am work days would make him hate it.