Failure to show insurance card.

Thread: Failure to show insurance card.

Failure to show insurance card.

Got pulled over before flying out of the country for 6 months. Have insurance when I got pulled over under my own vehicle but not with the vehicle I was driving (mom as car). I didn't have my moms insurance card with me at the time. Long story short, I paid the fine of $65 without realizing if it would bite me in the arse. Will this affect my insurance rates in general for renewal?

Re: Failure to show insurance card.

I doubt it. I had the same thing, didn't affect mine. I was unable to provide my license or insurance on my bike ( forgot it in my other jacket ) got 2 tickets. I got one thrown out, so one remained on my record. My rates never went up. (State Farm)

It's not a moving violation, so there's a chance that it won't affect your rates. I believe it depends on the insurer.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Failure to produce evidence of insurance (or any other way of saying the same thing) is a minor ticket that does show up on your MVR record. As far as motorcycle insurance goes, having one minor ticket doesn't really affect anything - sometimes even two minor tickets doesn't mean much. For auto insurance though, 1 minor could have a small impact on the rates - in my experience around 5 to 10% at the most. The key is to keep minor tickets below 3, and to not get other stuff on your record such as At-Fault claims, or cancellations of non-payment. Some insurers will decline to insure a driver that has 1minor, 1AF in last 6yrs, and 1non-pay cancellation.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

Good info. Thanks guys!