Klr 250

Thread: Klr 250

Klr 250

Hey I am a new rider andjust got a 1988 KLR 250 from a friend of my dad’s. It is a little beat up as there is a small dent in the gas tank and scratches on the plastic but everything works on it(turn signals, break lights, Speedo, etc) expect for the horn. Also it takes forever to get it started when it’s cold and sometimes the only way it will start is with a little quick start, but when it’s warmed up its fine. So I just want to know what I can do to make the bike start better. I already drained the gas, oil, changed the spark plug, oil filter, air filter and I am pretty sure the carb just got cleaned so I don’t really know what it could be
    Last edited by Anti Hero; 04-24-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Re: Klr 250

might need a carb adjustment if someone cleaned and messed with it "imo"

Is the choke working fine?

ya i think it might be the choke, and do you guys know any way i can remove the spark plug because all my sockets are to big and dont fit in right.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero View Post
    ya i think it might be the choke, and do you guys know any way i can remove the spark plug because all my sockets are to big and dont fit in right.

thanks
    With a spark plug socket is the best way. They have a rubber insert to prevent tipping and breaking the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero View Post
    pretty sure the carb just got cleaned
    "pretty sure" huh? Unless you cleaned it yourself, you can't rule out a dirty carb (focus on the choke circuit).

I'd recommend taking that carb completely apart, cleaning all the ports and jets THOROUGHLY (ie using an air compressor and blowing out all the circuits REAL well).

Sometimes people will tell you a carb's been "cleaned", but they didn't even take it apart. Do it yourself and do it right!
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka