Ticket advice?

Thread: Ticket advice?

Ticket advice?

I was caught doing 70 in a 50 zone (oops) a few weeks back. $180 and three points. I don't often get tickets, but this one smarts and I'd like to fight it. Any advice? I spoke with Forch at Redline, but I'm not sure this situation justifies Redline fees. I haven't had a conviction since 2009 (and just renewed my insurance) so this will be the only conviction on my three-year record. Knock on wood...

Any advice?

Re: Ticket advice?

Depends on the amount of spare time you have. Redline will be your best bet to get off. Typically, you have a good chance of getting off on the Holy Trinity - cop no-show, lack of/incomplete disclosure, 11b. Read the big thread and check out ticketcombat.com if you wanna fight it yourself. The typical procedure is as follows:

1) Go to the court, fill out the form that you wanna dispute the charges (make sure you check off the box that says that you wanna challenge the cop's testimony)
    2) When your notice of trial arrives in the mail, fax in your disclosure request, preferably from an outside line, don't give them your phone number, use the template on ticketcombat.com [The reason you don't wanna give them your phone number is that they'll call you and tell you to come and pick up your form - that's time off work, gas money, parking money. You want for them to mail it] I also posted excerpts from my speeding disclosure request in this forum, look it over
    3) You prepare your 4F for 11b as long as your trial date is over 10 months since the offence date [10-12 months your chances are slim-none, 12-15 months is touch and go, 15+ months you're golden] - also look at the threads and the tc site
    4) If your disclosure package doesn't come in the mail about 3 months before the trial date, re-fax the request
    5) About 2 months before, you can also fax in your motion to stay your charge due to lack of disclosure [tc has info on that]
    6) Show up in court like a gunslinger - dress business-formal if you've got a monkey-suit - makes them take you more seriously. If they try to give you the disclosure package at trial say "I don't have sufficient time to review it so I refuse to accept it now"
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Thanks for the detailed response. When you say 'check off the box that says that you wanna challenge the cop's testimony'--I can't remember what I checked off, beyond the fact I wanted to dispute the ticket. Was that a separate box? Could I have disputed the ticket without doing that? (Sorry--can't remember what the form looked like.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Pete View Post
    Thanks for the detailed response. When you say 'check off the box that says that you wanna challenge the cop's testimony'--I can't remember what I checked off, beyond the fact I wanted to dispute the ticket. Was that a separate box? Could I have disputed the ticket without doing that? (Sorry--can't remember what the form looked like.)
    It is a separate box and you could have disputed the ticket without checking that off. I am not sure the procedure for reversing this if you did not select disputing the officers evidence.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by dantonios View Post
    It is a separate box and you could have disputed the ticket without checking that off. I am not sure the procedure for reversing this if you did not select disputing the officers evidence.
    That's why it's a good idea to read that.. Basically it's an out for them in case of an officer no-show. Sneaky
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Do they ever mail the disclosure out to people? Everytime I went to dispute a ticket I would hand it directly to the prosecutor with a seperate copy and they will alaways make sure there was a contact number, Is their reasonable ground to get it adjorned or dropped if they dont mail it to you but had they ready and could not contact you to pick it up because of missing contact info?

Quote Originally Posted by umesh840 View Post
    Do they ever mail the disclosure out to people? Everytime I went to dispute a ticket I would hand it directly to the prosecutor with a seperate copy and they will alaways make sure there was a contact number, Is their reasonable ground to get it adjorned or dropped if they dont mail it to you but had they ready and could not contact you to pick it up because of missing contact info?
    What about people who have no telephone service? If there is no TN, they can "contact you" by mailing it to you.

He could have dropped it to 65kmh with $55. It happens on 50 zones. Must be a weekend rookie cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag View Post
    He could have dropped it to 65kmh with $55. It happens on 50 zones. Must be a weekend rookie cop.
    Or the OP was going a bit faster than the ticket speed (not that it matters)

Further details: The fine was increased because it was a community safety zone. They popped me riding south on Scarlett Rd. just past the golf course, north of Dundas. It's a wide-open four-laner. No hospitals or schools--I think they made it a safety zone because people were ripping through there.

So--no break on the ticket. And yes, he was a rookie cop. Nice enough guy, but all of 5 ft. 5. Remember when cops were big dudes?

Further details: The fine was increased because it was a community safety zone. They popped me riding south on Scarlett Rd. just past the golf course, north of Dundas. It's a wide-open four-laner. No hospitals or schools--I think they made it a safety zone because people were ripping through there.

So--no break on the ticket. And yes, he was a rookie cop. Nice enough guy, but all of 5 ft. 5. Remember when cops were big dudes?
    Ahh yeah.. Had an unpleasant dealing with a Napoleon cop once. Ended up throwing my jacket down on the ground and stepping all over it. He was ****** at what some other people did, but took it out on me. A couple of other cops around were shaking their heads but knew better than to interfere (undermining Napoleon's authority is a no-no). I'm sure he got a talking-to away from the public.

WTF are you serious?? He threw your jacket down and curb stomped it?!?!? What a D***!!!!

My trial is next month and I have Forch looking after it. Tried to go for the right to speedy trial I think because he asked about First Attendance but I said that I opted for it...I thought we were supposed to to show that we were willing to negotiate....=S

I'm still fairly confident he'll pull through though. The cop's notes were extremely vague and short.

Just remember, money (Especially a few hundred bucks) comes and goes, but stuff that goes on your record stays there forever (insurance may not count it, but it'll still be there if anyone wanted to find out).

Quote Originally Posted by bboySushi View Post
    insurance may not count it
    Oh, they do! They just don't tell you they do. "Sorry, you don't meet the requirements for our 'premium good driver' rate..." Why the hell not, my record is squeaky clean?! "Sorry, but we choose not to give you the 'premium good driver' rate at this time."

Bastards.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Ahh yeah.. Had an unpleasant dealing with a Napoleon cop once. Ended up throwing my jacket down on the ground and stepping all over it. He was ****** at what some other people did, but took it out on me. A couple of other cops around were shaking their heads but knew better than to interfere (undermining Napoleon's authority is a no-no). I'm sure he got a talking-to away from the public.

That is pretty wack. I'll let you know what happens if i ever run into a cop like that.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

.. And yes, he was a rookie cop. Nice enough guy, but all of 5 ft. 5. Remember when cops were big dudes?
    Big dudes... dropouts.
    Last edited by Zag; 04-28-2012 at 10:32 AM.