Leak from under rad cap - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leak from under rad cap

Re: Leak from under rad cap

There is no thermostat; Ted took it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed In Mississauga View Post
    Unless the engine gets up to operating temperature, there won't be much movement in the radiator as the thermostat will be closed, preventing and circulation.

As for the stop-leak stuff, it may or may not help. The principle of the stuff is that it will get forced into whatever slight gap there is when the system is under pressure. If it works for you, great! If not, I'd double check that the lip at the radiator cap is nice and level. Also double check that cap gets pulled down level when you screw it on.

Once you get your problems fixed up, make sure you get one put back in. Engines are designed to have an optimal operating temperature and the thermostat opens and closes to maintain that temperature. Without one in your engine will over-cool itself.

Okay guys, I am at the point where I don't know what else to do but take it to another mechanic. And I have no idea who to go to. Can someone please recommend a mechanic that would be good for this?

So I spoke to many of the mechanics/goldwing experts that had been suggested to me by folks here in my post requesting recommendations and all of them said that it does indeed sound like the begining of a head gasket failure while a few said it could also be the water pump. I brought the bike back to Ted and told him to do whatever he feels necessary and he is going to put a new thermostat in. I'll let you all know how it goes.

if it is dripping from under the cap and nowhere else, what would it take to replace what the cap screws onto, is it just the radiator? can you try the cap on another goldwing? anyone in here with a similar goldwing that uses the same cap be able to swap and go for a ride and see if the new cap leaks on the other bike?