Bad gas mileage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad gas mileage

Bad gas mileage

So I'm new to the bike world. I know my way around cars but not so much on bikes. I recently picked up an 03 R6. I got it with 50k.
    Ive gone through 2 gas tanks and I am only get getting 145km before the gas light goes on. Is this normal? I've heard that this bike should get 180km ?
    Any suggestions what I should look at first? Is there any maintenance I should do to the bike since it has high km? The bike came with a safety but Im sure the guy did it himself.
    Any help would be great.

Thanks

Depending on how you ride that sounds about rite to me.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Re: Bad gas mileage

Were the sprockets changed?? Ratio changed? If so your actual Kms might be off.

If you have GPS use that as the actual read. Use the pump as the actual amout of gas put in. Do calculation then u'll know your fuel consumption
    Resident Loudmouth

Is your bike actually boosted like your name says, Or is that just to up the Timmies Rep?
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Is your bike actually boosted like your name says, Or is that just to up the Timmies Rep?
    Point, brother
    Resident Loudmouth

Here's a crazy idea, actually note how many Litres of petrol you are using, my calculator doesn't do "tanks" of gas.

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedR6 View Post
    So I'm new to the bike world. I know my way around cars but not so much on bikes. I recently picked up an 03 R6. I got it with 50k.
    Ive gone through 2 gas tanks and I am only get getting 145km before the gas light goes on. Is this normal? I've heard that this bike should get 180km ?
    Any suggestions what I should look at first? Is there any maintenance I should do to the bike since it has high km? The bike came with a safety but Im sure the guy did it himself.
    Any help would be great.

Thanks

Check the air filter also as a start since it is new to you. Also, along with the filter housing in general and any intake tunnels from the front of the bike to ensure they are fully open and no mouse or squirrel left a nest in there from over the winter (it has been know to happen to bikes and cars).
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

Thanks, I feel like a noob.
    The previous owner said he would get 180km+ all the time. I dont know maybe he made that ***** up?
    I will do more proper calculations next time I fill up. Off the top of my head I put $15 94 octane and get 145km.
    I think its time for me to do a tune up anyway, Change air filter, spark plugs and new fluids.
    The bike is all stock except for a hindle pipe. I dont ride hard and no the bike is not boosted but my car is!

What RPM's are you cruising at?

Are you keeping the bike in lower gears, or are you cruising in 6th gear after you get up to speed?
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

The previous owner said he would get 180km+ all the time. I dont know maybe he made that ***** up?
    I will do more proper calculations next time I fill up. Off the top of my head I put $15 94 octane and get 145km.
    I think its time for me to do a tune up anyway, Change air filter, spark plugs and new fluids.
    The bike is all stock except for a hindle pipe. I dont ride hard and no the bike is not boosted but my car is!
    Well you just stated y0ur problem.
    If you put in $15 of 94 @ say $1.50 per liter, you put in 10L, You tank can hold 17L.
    It sounds like you are getting better mileage then the PO was getting.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

I recently picked up an 03 R6. Ive gone through 2 gas tanks and I am only get getting 145km before the gas light goes on.
    Before I replaced my air filter I was getting around 140 before the light came on.

With the new filter (BMC) I get about 175

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

another thing to check is your owners manual, my bike (03 cbr600rr) will get to the last fuel bar, then after a bit more riding starts to blink...then after a little more riding stay solid again.

no i haven't run out of fuel, and this has only happend once.

You're wasting your money with 94 octane.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    You're wasting your money with 94 octane.
    That's true. And with 10% ethanol people report worse gas mileage too! Fill up with Shell 91 or Ultramar 91, the only ones that contain no ethanol!

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

That mileage does not sound much better than my Mazda3. However, I would be more concerned about the poor range with a full tank. I don't like stopping for fuel that often and there are places I have ridden where the gas stations are more than 145 km apart.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

My biggest mistake in my first season of riding was putting the gas nozzle all the way into the tank when filling up. What this does is activate the automatic shut-off at the pump long before you've actually topped off your gas tank. Due to the nature of motorcycle tank designs you can put the end of the nozzle right where your tank hole is and fill 'er up until it's level. Don't rely on the automatic shut off. Just look at the gas level. You'll get an extra 5-10L out of this process depending on your tank. Give it a shot.

I use this to track my fuel efficiency: http://www.appigo.com/accufuel

Great app. You just need to take your gloves off to use your phone, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
    I use this to track my fuel efficiency: http://www.appigo.com/accufuel

Great app. You just need to take your gloves off to use your phone, of course.
    I prefer fuelly.com.
    Very graphical - many many options. I've been using it for years. It's so simple, and quite useful.

Did you check your tire pressure?
    Amen! Hallelujah! Peanut Butter!
    Current Ride - 89 Katana 600

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    I prefer fuelly.com.
    Very graphical - many many options. I've been using it for years. It's so simple, and quite useful.

U're getting better mileage with the GSXR 1000 than the Gsxr 750?

Is that because of fuel injection?
    Resident Loudmouth