Most invaluable Training Courses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most invaluable Training Courses

Most invaluable Training Courses

I have been riding a couple of years now and I am absolutely obsessed with learning as much as I can and bettering myself as a rider. I am constantly reading anything I can and practicing however the only course I have taken was the Humber College Learn to Ride a Motorcycle (M1 to M2). This was a pretty standard/basic program, yet I REALLY enjoyed it and got a lot out of it back when first learning.

What courses are most highly praised in the GTA for someone in my position. I am extremely comfortable and I would say I definitely posses greater skill than the average rider with similar limited experience. I was looking at some of the other Humber courses such as the Pro-Rider Motorcycle Course and the alike. I also have read about track schools however my main concern is to take a course that will help me develop into an even more balanced rider and hopefully help keep me alive out there. A track school would be a blast however learning to navigate a sweeper curve at 150km/h I feel may not be the next best logical step in my progression.

What is everyone's feel or opinion for my next step for both myself and others in my position?

Re: Most invaluable Training Courses

http://racer5.ca/

If you want actual street riding skills. Total Control (Lee Parks)
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ing-to-Ontario
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

http://www.motoparkracing.com/motocrosscamp.html

Turn you into a much better all around rider.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

http://www.cmts.org/

Same idea as MacDoc's suggestion, but a different school. They have a huge selection of bikes to learn on.
    White 2008 CBR125R - Sold
    Special Edition 2009 Ninja 250
    2001 KLR-650

http://www.trailtour.com/

Learning on dirt will improve your street skills as well.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvch View Post
    I have been riding a couple of years now and I am absolutely obsessed with learning as much as I can and bettering myself as a rider. I am constantly reading anything I can and practicing however the only course I have taken was the Humber College Learn to Ride a Motorcycle (M1 to M2). This was a pretty standard/basic program, yet I REALLY enjoyed it and got a lot out of it back when first learning.

What courses are most highly praised in the GTA for someone in my position. I am extremely comfortable and I would say I definitely posses greater skill than the average rider with similar limited experience. I was looking at some of the other Humber courses such as the Pro-Rider Motorcycle Course and the alike. I also have read about track schools however my main concern is to take a course that will help me develop into an even more balanced rider and hopefully help keep me alive out there. A track school would be a blast however learning to navigate a sweeper curve at 150km/h I feel may not be the next best logical step in my progression.

What is everyone's feel or opinion for my next step for both myself and others in my position?
    Go ahead and take the Pro-Rider course with Pedro at Humber.
    I took it for 5 years as a warmup for the start of the season.
    Something new was learned each time.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Has anyone here taken a Lee Parks class? I'm registered for June but have have little feedback on what to expect. Either way I'm looking forward to sharpening my skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvin View Post
    Has anyone here taken a Lee Parks class? I'm registered for June but have have little feedback on what to expect. Either way I'm looking forward to sharpening my skills.
    I'm going in June too.

Here's a pretty good review.

And this is another.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

A track course will make you a better street rider as it will increase your confidence and riding skill.
    Not all corners on a track are 150 kmph sweepers. You won't be doing anything like that on FAST phase 1...at least, I don't think you will :P
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    A track course will make you a better street rider as it will increase your confidence and riding skill... :P
    How exactly?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    How exactly?
    Taking a course at the track teaches you how to properly negotiate curves which is one of the areas which many riders are very weak. Getting the chance to ride at street speeds instead of in a parking lot is a huge bonus. Plus no oncoming traffic, instructors that follow you and critique, instructors that have you follow them so that you can see what you should be doing. Learning about proper ways to apex varies types of curves...the list goes on.

There was a school out of TMP a couple of years ago that you used your own bike on the track. A street skills course...

Good luck! Keep learning!

Take a peek at Lee Park's book as well at the Twist of the Wrist 2

Celeste

The dirt courses are also a great way to improve your skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycle_Girl View Post
    Taking a course at the track teaches you how to properly negotiate curves which is one of the areas which many riders are very weak. Getting the chance to ride at street speeds instead of in a parking lot is a huge bonus. Plus no oncoming traffic, instructors that follow you and critique, instructors that have you follow them so that you can see what you should be doing. Learning about proper ways to apex varies types of curves...the list goes on.
    And how far down the list is the part that teaches you about accident avoidance manouevers? The proper way to cross railway/streetcar tracks? How to overtake a large truck? Proper lane positioning for riding on multi-lane highways? Avoiding unexpected obstacles in your lane? Proper positioning when following/leading other vehicles through intersections? What clues to look for just before a car left turns in front of you? How to approach and depart from traffic lights? Negotiate traffic roundabouts? And the list goes on.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Thanks for the info. Bike on dirt seems fun.
    * seize today as tomorrow may not come *

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    And how far down the list is the part that teaches you about accident avoidance manouevers? The proper way to cross railway/streetcar tracks? How to overtake a large truck? Proper lane positioning for riding on multi-lane highways? Avoiding unexpected obstacles in your lane? Proper positioning when following/leading other vehicles through intersections? What clues to look for just before a car left turns in front of you? How to approach and depart from traffic lights? Negotiate traffic roundabouts? And the list goes on.
    After you've learned how to take better control of your motorcycle, you can better focus on all of these things while on the road. Most new riders are not new to driving on the road, and already have an idea of what to expect when being on it. I've never ridden a bike, so those skills are more invaluable to me at this stage. You have to start somewhere, it may as well be with the bike.

Anyone else going to Lee Parks in Mississauga on June 3rd?

how long have you been riding ? i would recommend a track school after some riding time but not right away, you wouldn't get as much out of it

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

I'll be at Total Control on June 3rd.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

I'm in the June 2nd course Level 1 and then July 8th Level 2.

Was one of the first people to sign up, very excited about it. Buddy and I are signed up for both.

Blue SV1000S for me and buddy on a new Z1000.

Did I say I was excited?
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

Those training courses at TMP are happening again this year... both "Intro to Track" and "Surviving the Streets":

http://www.torontomotorsportspark.co...ool_intro.html

http://www.torontomotorsportspark.co...s_instrtn.html

Peace.
    The_Squire - Waterloo
    2003 Honda CBR1100XX
    2002 Honda VFR800
    2003 Honda CBR600RR