Room for negotiation on price of a Ducati? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Room for negotiation on price of a Ducati?

Re: Room for negotiation on price of a Ducati?

Some of you folks are amazing.

Ducati sells ALL their new bikes. Why would a dealer sell for less? Price breaks are an incentive to sell something that wouldn't otherwise sell. You don't offer a break on a model that has a line waiting to buy it. Be thankful they aren't asking a premium.

And this is not a GP Bikes or Ducati thing. When I bought my BMW there was NO DEAL offered anywhere in Canada and only a couple of rumours in the US. You pay MSRP or you don't buy.

How is this is surprise?

If you have your bike up for sale for $5,000 and the first person to look at it offers you $4500, and you have 10 other people lined up to have a look at it, what would you do? I might entertain a bidding war but I'm not gonna take less than $5000.

You people have heard of "supply and demand" right?

EDIT - Also, I'd be really interested in seeing the details of any deals that someone gets on an 1199 or an 848. I'd be willing to bet, as was the case with several people that had claimed a deal on an S1000RR a couple of years ago, that they just didn't understand the bottom line.
    Last edited by Griffin; 04-24-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by budgetracing View Post
    This is incorrect, i bought a 2012 and i got a great deal on it from GP. Maybe it depends on how you approach the topic or how you behave. I've heard of people walking in and right off the bat saying "I'm not paying that price" and the sales guy will be defensive right away. If you seem like a good guy they will be willing to help. If you are pleasant and they won't budge then buy somewhere else. My number one suggestion is get at least 3 price quotes before you buy ANY new bike.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Some of you folks are amazing.

Ducati sells ALL their new bikes. Why would a dealer sell for less? Price breaks are an incentive to sell something that wouldn't otherwise sell. You don't offer a break on a model that has a line waiting to buy it. Be thankful they aren't asking a premium.

And this is not a GP Bikes or Ducati thing. When I bought my BMW there was NO DEAL offered anywhere in Canada and only a couple of rumours in the US. You pay MSRP or you don't buy.

How is this is surprise?

If you have your bike up for sale for $5,000 and the first person to look at it offers you $4500, and you have 10 other people lined up to have a look at it, what would you do? I might entertain a bidding war but I'm not gonna take less than $5000.

You people have heard of "supply and demand" right?

EDIT - Also, I'd be really interested in seeing the details of any deals that someone gets on an 1199 or an 848. I'd be willing to bet, as was the case with several people that had claimed a deal on an S1000RR a couple of years ago, that they just didn't understand the bottom line.

Couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by locwan View Post
    Joe, which bike did you get?

So you ended up getting one from the states huh, where? How was the process?
    I actually got a Triumph Street Triple R 2012. My comment was more towards GP using the same BS excuse.

I should note that all Ontario dealers wouldn't budge on MSRP. Quebec dealers did offer some pretty good deals though.

There's a lot to know and do when importing from the US, but factoring everything including gas, fees, making a ramp for the trailer, etc... It was $2k on savings. It helps greatly when you have a dealer that is willing to work with you. The guy I bought from did all the paperwork and didn't charge for it either.

Quote Originally Posted by cycling View Post
    Totally agree.
    So come on then what did you buy!

I've gotten good deals from GP on used bikes and I'm sure you could on a non-current model. Not on a hot selling bike with a waiting list of buyers.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by topendz View Post
    So come on then what did you buy!
    Quote Originally Posted by cycling View Post
    Got the Ducati Diavel.2012.
    Will leave a message in your inbox.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Why would you want to buy a Ducati after the way they handled the plastic gas tank fiasco? For those that don't know, they switched to plastic gas tanks back in 2005 or 6 and the plastic was softened by gas or the alcohol that is in modern gas. The replacent cost in the U.S. was $1900. After a lawsuit they decided to replace the problem gas tanks with the exact same tanks so the problem is going to repeat itself. There's a sucker born every day.
    When you want something done in the worst way, that's usually the way it is implimented... in the worst way.

Quote Originally Posted by joet100r View Post
    Why would you want to buy a Ducati after the way they handled the plastic gas tank fiasco? For those that don't know, they switched to plastic gas tanks back in 2005 or 6 and the plastic was softened by gas or the alcohol that is in modern gas. The replacent cost in the U.S. was $1900. After a lawsuit they decided to replace the problem gas tanks with the exact same tanks so the problem is going to repeat itself. There's a sucker born every day.
    They're not the only manufacturer using those exact tanks... Triumph and KTM also have the same problem, just off the top of my head.
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Buy in the usa
    Add a minimum of $700 to the purchase price. And thats before you've gone to fetch it.

Ducati are notorious for making it difficult to import their bikes.

And, to the OP, if you're unhappy about GP not ofering a discount then call around. Tell them exactly what you want and how you're going to pay. If they all quote list then you knwo where you stand. There aren't too many Duc dealers around so it isn't going to take long.
    Last edited by Fiery254; 04-24-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

This may sound odd, but you can always email them before even showing up. Just politely say your in the market for XX, are completely serious and looking for a bit better of a price.

I bought my EVO, STI and GSXR this way. You save a TON of time and usually get a pretty decent price. (I just emailed the sales managers for local dealerships)

They will usually urge you to the dealership to try the whole sales pressure tactic... But just clearly explain your busy and prefer this form of communication.
    2010 GSXR600

Because I don't believe many, if any, Canadians were impacted. I certainly wasn't and I don't know anyone that has been here in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by locwan View Post
    I recently visited a Ducati dealer in Whitby. Dealt with a guy that was friendly and polite, but..
    I was told that Ducati "regulates" their new bike sale prices, and that nothing can be done AT ALL for the price. Zero.. nada..Basically, it's either pay full MSRP, or a new Ducati doesn't go out the door.
    Am I just being subjected to sales tactics here? or is this really the case???
    While I'm sure they can negotiate, why would they? If they are sure another client will walk in and pay more, they won't do you any favours. Ducati is a hot ticket item. If the bike was sitting for a long time with lingering interest, I doubt they would be so strict.
    Never to be taken seriously. Ever.

What about Honda.....CBR1000RR burning oil issue, Goldwing cracked frame issue etc
    What about Suzuki......GSXR1000 cracked frame issues etc

A little off topic.Apex has a Panigale on the showroom floor right now.Their open house for the intro is friday 8pm till11pm.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    A little off topic.Apex has a Panigale on the showroom floor right now.Their open house for the intro is friday 8pm till11pm.
    Will it be sporting the new "DUCAUDI" badges?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post
    They're not the only manufacturer using those exact tanks... Triumph and KTM also have the same problem, just off the top of my head.
    KTM uses a plastic tank, but I haven't noticed any problems especially with me spilling gas all over all the time. I haven't heard of anyone with a problem either.

That's not quite how the problem is. The tanks were originally not designed for the ethanol that we have in our gas. If you let the tank sit for long periods of time with ethanol in them the tank absorbs it and deforms (not softens) and sometimes they leak around the fuel pump outlet and sometimes they expand and look terrible. The recommended fuel is of course shell 91 which is ethanol free. How many people who buy the bike and have a problem with their tank use the recommended fuel? I'm sure none of them. The owners manual also specifically says to completely empty the tank for winter storage. A weird part about the problem is that a tank that has deformed will shrink back into shape if left empty and open long enough.

Ducati also warranties the fuel tank for 8 years in the states. I'm sure they're working on a solution.
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    KTM uses a plastic tank, but I haven't noticed any problems especially with me spilling gas all over all the time. I haven't heard of anyone with a problem either.
    KTM uses the same material tanks as Ducati, they're made by the same company... Acerbis.

The problem isn't spilling gas ON your tank. The problem is having gas with ethanol IN your tank, especially if sitting for prolonged periods. The only way to avoid having the issue is by using ethanol-free gas, I think Shell is the sole supplier. I thought I didn't have the problem either, and many folks thought the same thing, until they take their tanks off for service and then can't put them back on. Mine is also showing a small swelling near the bottom, you'd never see if until you really get a close look.

Quote Originally Posted by budgetracing View Post

Ducati also warranties the fuel tank for 8 years in the states. I'm sure they're working on a solution.
    They're required to by law according to the EPA as the tank is considered part of the emissions system. 8 years 80,000 miles mandatory for all manufacturers.

Don't know if we have such regulations in Canada.