Room for negotiation on price of a Ducati?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Room for negotiation on price of a Ducati?

Room for negotiation on price of a Ducati?

I recently visited a Ducati dealer in Whitby. Dealt with a guy that was friendly and polite, but..

I was told that Ducati "regulates" their new bike sale prices, and that nothing can be done AT ALL for the price. Zero.. nada..

Basically, it's either pay full MSRP, or a new Ducati doesn't go out the door.

Am I just being subjected to sales tactics here? or is this really the case???

Re: Room for negotiation on price of a Ducati?

Negotiate the shipping charge.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Try Colin in Waterloo. Got a good price.

http://www.apexcycle.ca/

With BS like this, now you know why they only sell 40,000 bikes a year worldwide.

Shop around, buy used, or choose another make.

And remind the sales guy that MSRP stands for Manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price.

Or get an exhaust/other accessories thrown in with the sale/discounted
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Every price is negotiable..just depends how much they're hurting to sell..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    With BS like this, now you know why they only sell 40,000 bikes a year worldwide.

Absolutely BS sales tactic, but you know that is not the reason why they sell only 40K of bikes a year.

Buy mine!
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Sorry but that’s the way it is. Non-current left overs, demonstrators and used models are all fair game. You might get a better trade in value or some goodies added into a deal at one store over another but base price will be what it is.
    It’s not just Ducati either. I looked at a Triumph 675R at Ride Motorcycles and was told there was NO movement on price. Same goes for MV Agusta.
    Which model are you looking at? Both the wife and I are good customers of GP Bikes and highly recommend the shop.

There is no BS involved and 40,000 units are about the factories production limit at the present time. Japanese manufacturers tend to over produce and then have to discount to move product. European manufactures build less then market will take and thus keep demand up.
    the Dreamer
    (a.k.a. Ducati Dreamin' Stephen)
    '98 900 Ducati SS FE silFEr For Sale
    Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Absolutely BS sales tactic, but you know that is not the reason why they sell only 40K of bikes a year.
    It's not a BS sales tactic. The dealer is not obliged to move from his price.

Buy in the usa

They (Ducati) have it pretty good. the 1199's are sold out and Delivery dates haven't even been confirmed. Why put a bike on sale when the Name sells it for them..
    Fear is my only Limitation...Fear of my Wife...lol

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post

Shop around, buy used, or choose another make.

And remind the sales guy that MSRP stands for Manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price.

Your starting to show signs of Anti-Ducati tendancies this is nothing to do with Ducati it's the dealers perogative. There are many ways a dealer can give you discounts off any new bike if they wish too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    It's not a BS sales tactic. The dealer is not obliged to move from his price.
    LOL, really? How is this not a BS sales tactic? Whether it is the dealer or Ducati sales department, I don't care .... At no point have I said that they are obligated. Would you feel obligated if you could sell every bike you could get? That's the card they are playing and if volumes they sell are satisfactory to them, not much you can do about it. Except to vote with your valet ....

I got the same bs from GP Bikes. I tried to negotiate with $1k in extras, but they wouldn't budge... Even when I said will pay cash for the full amount and will sign on the spot.

But at the end of the day, it's their choice to sell that way. I was looking for $1k off the total price, which was feasible by reducing parts of the freight, PDI, and extras while maintaining the MSRP of the bike. In the end they didn't go for it and went to the US instead... Saved a total of $2k.

Quote Originally Posted by cycling View Post
    Try Colin in Waterloo. Got a good price.

http://www.apexcycle.ca/
    Which bike did you get from them? How much if you don't mind telling?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
    Sorry but that’s the way it is. Non-current left overs, demonstrators and used models are all fair game. You might get a better trade in value or some goodies added into a deal at one store over another but base price will be what it is.
    It’s not just Ducati either. I looked at a Triumph 675R at Ride Motorcycles and was told there was NO movement on price. Same goes for MV Agusta.
    Which model are you looking at? Both the wife and I are good customers of GP Bikes and highly recommend the shop.

There is no BS involved and 40,000 units are about the factories production limit at the present time. Japanese manufacturers tend to over produce and then have to discount to move product. European manufactures build less then market will take and thus keep demand up.
    I was looking at a Monster 796. Like I said, I enjoyed my time there, and the guys in the shop were helpful especially on the parts and apparel side. The guy I dealt with in bike sales was pleasant and helpful, but I am always skeptical when I hear that there is no room for negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Buy in the usa
    I tried working out the numbers, and there's no benifit at all at the end of the day. Did some homework on it, and in order to import one from the states, I have to get a "recall clearance" letter, which has to be obtained from a local dealer. Charge is $500 for that piece of paper... factor in travel costs etc.. not worth it.

I'm also looking at a used one that's available for around $10k, but that one's been dropped, and the seller isn't very forth-coming with information through emails. The wife is convinced I should shop for a brand new one knowing that it's never been damaged...

Joe, which bike did you get?

So you ended up getting one from the states huh, where? How was the process?

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoejoe View Post
    I got the same bs from GP Bikes. I tried to negotiate with $1k in extras, but they wouldn't budge... Even when I said will pay cash for the full amount and will sign on the spot.

But at the end of the day, it's their choice to sell that way. I was looking for $1k off the total price, which was feasible by reducing parts of the freight, PDI, and extras while maintaining the MSRP of the bike. In the end they didn't go for it and went to the US instead... Saved a total of $2k.

You won't get a 'deal' on a Ducati if you're buying a current model year. There's no point in trying, the production and import numbers are low enough that dealers simply don't have to budge on pricing... they'll sell every model; and if they don't, they'll consider offering a discount the following year on it.
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

[QUOTE=locwan;1777999]Which bike did you get from them? How much if you don't mind telling?

Got the Ducati Diavel.2012.
    Will leave a message in your inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post
    You won't get a 'deal' on a Ducati if you're buying a current model year. There's no point in trying, the production and import numbers are low enough that dealers simply don't have to budge on pricing... they'll sell every model; and if they don't, they'll consider offering a discount the following year on it.
    This is incorrect, i bought a 2012 and i got a great deal on it from GP. Maybe it depends on how you approach the topic or how you behave. I've heard of people walking in and right off the bat saying "I'm not paying that price" and the sales guy will be defensive right away. If you seem like a good guy they will be willing to help. If you are pleasant and they won't budge then buy somewhere else. My number one suggestion is get at least 3 price quotes before you buy ANY new bike.
    2012 Ducati Monster 696