Question about gear for a new rider - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about gear for a new rider

Re: Question about gear for a new rider

Thanks everyone for all your help! you all made some good points, but you were right, since im going to be getting a bike for sure, i might as well just get the gear i want for it and continue wearing it after the course, i ended up just spending a little more and buying a nice jacket, and some boots, and gloves from Royal Distributing. BTW they are having a sale right now, so you guys should check that out! bought the gloves, and its buy 1 get one free so AWESOME.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    I did the P90X thing too... one of the best decisions I've ever made. I also did the Sheridan course at Trafalgar and they're a good group of guys. I had an absolute blast. So here's my take on the weekend and your gear.

So your basically Future me?... who win the 2012 Stanley Cup? :P

But i must say, DEFINITELY P90X best decision of my life, I ended up losing 50lbs, and am much more athletic now

Good for you for buying all proper gear. One guy at my course broke his ankle (got caught between brake and footpeg) - he was wearing high ankle work boots. So even though lots of people ride in work boots - after seeing it happen right before my eyes I always buy boots with at least ankle protection. And price is not that different - BMW boots are great and go on sale quite often. Held boots are great quality and reasonably priced, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    One guy at my course broke his ankle (got caught between brake and footpeg)
    wow, that would suck! but hopefully no injury comes to me last time i rode a motorcyle was when i was 7 years old, for a year. so maybe ill just pick it up naturally :P

Quote Originally Posted by Callel View Post
    wow, that would suck! but hopefully no injury comes to me last time i rode a motorcyle was when i was 7 years old, for a year. so maybe ill just pick it up naturally :P
    Oh yeah - sucked big time for him. It was 4-5 years ago and it was last day of the course. In fact - it was practice right before the exam, he was doing long curve excercise. From what I remember he was some kind kind of selfemployed guy (cabinet making or something) so it also put him out of work I imagine for a while.
    So while work/hiking boots may be OK - I'd much rather use bike specific gear.
    But have no fear - just concetrate, listen to instructors and don't tense up and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Callel View Post
    So your basically Future me?... who win the 2012 Stanley Cup? :P

But i must say, DEFINITELY P90X best decision of my life, I ended up losing 50lbs, and am much more athletic now
    I went from 220+lbs to 190lbs... so a little over 30lbs. I wish I could repeat it and built more muscle, but I just can't find the motivation.

The OTHER piece of advice I can give you about the Sheridan course, get their early on both days so you can pick your bike. I grabbed a Honda Titan (red bike) on day one and CBR 125 (white bike) on day two. The Titan (the red ones) is a good bikes, but the CBR was a blast to ride on. If you're happy with the bike you rode on day one, remember the number so you grab the same bike the next day.

And I will not tell you who won the cup. I refuse to support the gambling problem we worked so hard to overcome.

This is what I bought for $85+tax from GP BIkes. And they are pretty comfy. The Puma ones were more comfy but they were $165+tax and the guy at GP Bikes said they look good but they don't offer as much protection as these ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shoe.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	28264

Incase you guys were curious what my new gear looks like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2961.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	28305