Question about gear for a new rider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about gear for a new rider

Question about gear for a new rider

Hey all! So im taking a Motorcycle Safety Course this weekend @ Sheridan College (Trafalgar)

I intend on buying a motorcycle within the next few months, so im committed to joining this community of riders :)

I was just trying to figure out, For the course it says I need a helmet, jacket, gloves, and shoes...

Ive got a new helmet so thats ok....

What can i do about the rest? Im trying to get money together for a bike first so cant be spending so much cash on new gear (That'll come later, and what kind of boots do they expect us to wear? should I go out buy some motorcycle boots for like 100 bucks since i got no hiking boots or anything that covers the ankle?

let me know :)

Re: Question about gear for a new rider

Quote Originally Posted by Callel View Post
    Hey all! So im taking a Motorcycle Safety Course this weekend @ Sheridan College (Trafalgar)

I intend on buying a motorcycle within the next few months, so im committed to joining this community of riders

I was just trying to figure out, For the course it says I need a helmet, jacket, gloves, and shoes...

Ive got a new helmet so thats ok....

What can i do about the rest? Im trying to get money together for a bike first so cant be spending so much cash on new gear (That'll come later, and what kind of boots do they expect us to wear? should I go out buy some motorcycle boots for like 100 bucks since i got no hiking boots or anything that covers the ankle?

let me know
    Ok, so here's the thing: as a new rider, do you really want to do the bare minimum for gear? Think it through and the implications are pretty serious.

That said, as a minimum, the gloves must be leather, the jacket must be leather or denim, and the boots must be leather and cover your ankles (leather must cover ankles, leather with stretchy material over the anlkles is not good enough).
    Jean jacket, gardening gloves and a pair of workboots from Wally-mart should have you ready to go for less than $50 or $60 bucks. Even less if you're willing to go to a thrift shop.

But before you go the minimum, consider that a lot of people go down in the training. Please consider leathers with padding.

And if you're committed to motorcycling, you will want something better very soon anyways, so why not get something decent to start?
    2000 Honda Shadow ACE 750

+1 Though if you just need something to hold you over during the course I wouldn't worry too much about falling. You'll be spending most of your time in 1st and 2nd gear and the majority of spills happen while practicing very low speed maneuvers.

I bought a pair of Boots from GP Bikes in Oshawa for $85+tax. They are black and fairly comfortable to walk in too. Gloves cost be $40 with proper knucle protection and wrist/palm padding from Royal Distributing. They have a location in Guelph too.

And as for Jacket, i'm just going to use a thick leather one I have. So it's definitely possible to get yourself going for cheap.

if u buy cheap gear, think about it first because once you start riding you're gonna want better mroe protective gear.

then all of the sudden all the cheap gear you buy first for the course becomes useless and a waste of money just sitting in ur closet.

im not saying go crazy and get the best (unless ur stinking rich lol) but a least go with something decent, i would say 100 bucks can get u a decent pair of gloves, and u can get a nice textile jacket for 150(on sale, last years models but who cares), 250ish for leather(sale price), and shoes you can get some low cut motorcycle boots as 'TheNewDude' said for 100 bucks ish.

you might want to hit up GP bikes and Royal Distrubuting, since they both have a sale going on right now and i did see a few jackes on sale.
    2004 Blue GSXR 600 (current)
    2010 red ninja 250r (Sold)

I am cheap so I always try to get by with the least cost. But, I often end up paying more in the long run and would have been better off buying decent stuff to begin with. So, I would consider that when making purchases.

On the other hand, it's possible that you may hate riding. It's possible that you may change your ideas as to what is the right gear for you once you get some experience. For example, some people buy a beanie helmet and then decide that's foolish and buy an inexpensive fullface then decide that they really want a cool looking lighter one and end up with three helmets. Or vice versa and start with a full face and then decide it doesn't look good with their pirate costume on their cruiser and end up with a beanie. It's hard to predict how you may go.

I would suggest take the course with the minimum necessary and consider borrowing if you can. Then, once you have a bit of an idea of what you want and if you haven't scared the crap out of yourself and decided never to ride again (rare but it does happen) go out and shop.

Good luck.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

See if someone you know can lend you some gear for the weekend. I wore steel toes (not ideal, the steel), a leather jacket and a pair of gardening gloves. You may have a slip at the course, but not likely. You'll be moving slowly and in a controlled environment. Keep saving for the best quality gear you can afford for when you get yourself in the road.

What size jacket are you? I've got a spare leather (either L or XL, cant remember) that I'd get rid of for cheap. Also have a few pairs of gloves.

im not sure what size I am to be honest (Lost weight from P90X :P ), probably a Medium or large

i think im going to head over to Royal Distribution check out their sale buy some cheaper shoes.

Reduce your budget for the bike by a few hundred dollars and get some reasonable stuff that will actually help you in the case of a fall.

You can get geared up for cheap on Kiji - that's my route.
    Hiking boots are good traction.
    Leather gloves you have.
    Helmet you have.
    Find a Joe Rocket jacket that fits if you want some armour - I paid $50 for my mesh. JR - best value ever.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

If you know anyone that rides, just borrowing their gear for the course.
    Or bite the bullet, spend the extra on good gear, and own it for 5+ years.
    Matte White 06 CBR1000RR
    ~Full Ti Termignoni Exhaust/Custom Carbon Ti Muffler ~PCIII ~Flapper Mod ~BMC Race Filters ~AFAM -1/+1 ~Gilles Tooling VCR Rearsets ~Gilles Tooling X-Treme Levers Short ~SpeedoHealer ~Spiegler SS Lines ~GSG Rear Brake Res ~FP Racing Caliper Relocator Bracket ~Galfer Wave Rotor ~Pro Series C/F Swingarm Protectors ~CleverWolf C/F Tank Guard ~CRG Bar end Mirror ~8000K HID ~Powder Coated Wheels ~Hotbodies Smoked Flushmounts ~CA Smoked Integrated TailLight ~Smoked Windscreen

If thinking of mostly leather, www.aliinternational.ca has a lot of stuffs. They are located in Rexdale near 401/427. I checked them at the last show and they have varieties of leather jackets with reasonable rate.

If you want used gear for learning, go to Docs Leathers on queen st w or both locations of EXILE in Kensington market. You may even find something you will wear again. Those shops are great for passenger gear, because a lot of the jackets in the market are ones a non-rider girl won't be ashamed to be seen wearing off the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Callel View Post
    im not sure what size I am to be honest (Lost weight from P90X :P ), probably a Medium or large
    I did the P90X thing too... one of the best decisions I've ever made. I also did the Sheridan course at Trafalgar and they're a good group of guys. I had an absolute blast. So here's my take on the weekend and your gear.

It's cool that you want to save money so you can buy a bike, but cutting it out of your "gear funds" is one of the last places you want to cut from. You're going to eventually spend the money on quality gear, why not do it before getting the bike (funds will be tighter AFTER you get the bike).

As for boots, you'll probably have to buy something. You don't have to get boots just for riding, anything that's comfortable, covers your ankles and isn't steel-toed shoes will work.

If the weather isn't bad this weekend, maybe I'll stop by the course at lunch time and say hi to the instructors.

Hi Callel.

you're getting really good advice on this thread.

I was in a similar situation a year ago.

I bought a textile jacket, helmet, boots, gloves and a small tank bag at the spring bike show for around $500 all told. It is possible to not break the bank, and get some gear that offers reasonable protection.

Pay attention at the course, do some reading, and practice good skills. Good luck and have fun!

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Check out the Clothing & Gear forum here.

From there today as an example:

FS: Basic Gear/Beginner (Helmets, Gloves, Boots)

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...s-Gloves-Boots)

Good luck.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

welcome!!, good to see your commitment. good luck on the course, my only advice is this. if you are really intent on committing to this sport, and wish to save money, i would suggest buying gear that will carry you over well after you pass the course. why spend, some coin on walmart gear, if you know you wont be wearing that after you pass. lets be honest, you will want to look a certain was once you r riding the streets. we all do. lol. so i say spend the minimum amount on gear that will last you some time till you can save some beans and upgrade later on. once again, good luck on the course, and ride safe!!
    Early Sunday morning rides to destinations unknown allow me for my weekly dose of Ducati Therapy.

Lots of good advice has been given. If I was in your situation, and not sure about my biking future, I would just do it on the cheap. Some work boots, cheapest jacket and gloves that I could get by with. It was mentioned already, but you don't want to put out a ton of money for quality stuff if it turns out biking isn't for you. If you buy actual biking gear that is cheap, it's still going to cost you some money. If you do end up getting into biking it will sit in your closet as you upgrade to proper quality kit that you're happy with.

Some people won't feel comfortable unless they are fully protected with the best stuff. Of course high quality gear will limit potential injuries if and when you fall at the course, it just a matter of how much risk you're willing to accept. Most of your day will be spent at relatively low speeds, even the fastest tests at the end of the weekend don't require you to break 35 kph. Yes, it's going to hurt and anything can happen if you hit the deck at that speed (or any speed for that matter), but do you wear high quality gear when you coast down a hill on your bicycle?