3D content in Canada?

Thread: 3D content in Canada?

3D content in Canada?

I just bought a 3D LG television and was wondering where I can get content? Obviously, there is the buying-hollywood-movies route, but I'm not thrilled with paying 30 bucks for something I'll likely only watch once. Can anyone with a 3D tv share some insight as to the best, most-affordable, and easy-to-access content can be found? Is there an LG smart TV app that I can rent films from? Does apple TV do 3D content? Can I find 3D content "shared" online?

Thanks!

Re: 3D content in Canada?

You can find 3D content on P2P networks for the low cost of free but I don't know what the PC requirements are for that. You may need a video card and playback software that supports 3D, I'm not sure.

3D TV is a gimmick. The only real 3D source are 3D blu-ray movies, but there are very few of those and those are more expensive than regular blu-rays.

If you have Bell I believe they have one 3d channel (1933 I believe) But it is really just to see the 3d it doesn't have any TV shows on.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    3D TV is a gimmick. The only real 3D source are 3D blu-ray movies, but there are very few of those and those are more expensive than regular blu-rays.
    He has the TV already, lets not give him opinions he never asked for (although I would agree with your statement). The TV's right now are geared up for blu-rays mainly. Do you have a ps3? Lots of video games in 3d out there. Soon I hear we will get a few all 3d stations if they haven't already arrived.

This is my signature

If one was to torrent one would find all the 3D titles available in HD 3D 1080p just as easily as finding any other format.

The downside is the files are 7 -13 Gig for a full rip. less if you just want the movie and couldn't care less about subs, titles, extras.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom01 View Post
    He has the TV already, lets not give him opinions he never asked for (although I would agree with your statement). The TV's right now are geared up for blu-rays mainly. Do you have a ps3? Lots of video games in 3d out there. Soon I hear we will get a few all 3d stations if they haven't already arrived.

This is my signature
    Thank you. I went with the 3d option because of ps3. Was just hoping that maybe there was an online rental source for 3d content, given that brick and mortar options are dying quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    If one was to torrent one would find all the 3D titles available in HD 3D 1080p just as easily as finding any other format.

The downside is the files are 7 -13 Gig for a full rip. less if you just want the movie and couldn't care less about subs, titles, extras.
    Cheers, of course I do not, nor will ever torrent. but good to know that it is an option!

The cheapest? Download them from torrents like mentioned above, but depending on your connection that could take a while. If you want instant gratification on the cheap (and legal) Buy a PS3 and rent 3d movies in the Playstation Store.. I took the liberty of finding a webpage for you, that contains a list of all their 3D content.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...es-and-movies/

I have a copy of tourist trophy -closer to the edge in 3d that I downloaded a while ago... but the links are dead now.

I can't agree with 3D being a gimmick. That would be fun to watch in 3D...
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...ailable-today/

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."

Quote Originally Posted by HDRod View Post
    Thank you. I went with the 3d option because of ps3. Was just hoping that maybe there was an online rental source for 3d content, given that brick and mortar options are dying quickly.

Now this just a rumor right now, but I hear Netflix might start streaming 3D movies in the near future.
    This is my signature

Now this just a rumor right now, but I hear Netflix might start streaming 3D movies in the near future.
    This is my signature
    To stream something you need to have a good amount of content to begin with. There isn't much stuff in 3D to stream. Also I am sure that 3D stuff requires at least as much bandwidth as a regular 1080p movie. Right now Netflix only has some movies/tv series in 720p. And in Canada most people have a wonderful cap on their accounts (Rogers average cap is around 60GB).

To stream something you need to have a good amount of content to begin with. There isn't much stuff in 3D to stream. Also I am sure that 3D stuff requires at least as much bandwidth as a regular 1080p movie. Right now Netflix only has some movies/tv series in 720p. And in Canada most people have a wonderful cap on their accounts (Rogers average cap is around 60GB).
    This. Any movie or even T.V show you stream that is in HD, you are looking at 2 - 2.5 GB of streaming. You do that daily, or even watch 2 T.V shows in a row, your cap is getting eaten up FAST. I hate the internet caps, and if it's one thing the States does right, it's not limit that ****.

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
    This. Any movie or even T.V show you stream that is in HD, you are looking at 2 - 2.5 GB of streaming. You do that daily, or even watch 2 T.V shows in a row, your cap is getting eaten up FAST. I hate the internet caps, and if it's one thing the States does right, it's not limit that ****.
    I feel your pain im with rogers paying 70$ a month and still slow and got a cap of 70gb (sounds like alot but when u watch tv on the net it goes quickly). my dad has a 3d tv and he has the same problem with it no content to watch and you cant keep watching the same 5 movies that are avaible
    Last edited by kanabis; 04-23-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
    That's why I switched to Acanac long ago when Rogers introduced the cap. Rogers really should've grandfathered people into the unlimited plan because the 95GB cap (max at the time) is completely inadequate for heavy users like myself (420+ GB /mo). TekSavvy is another good option.

I thin it won't come down to the resolution. The new Nintendo 3ds streams 3d movies (although their small and short) through their e-shop. If you were using netflix it via the Xbox, it uses silverlight and I know at least through zune marketplace they have that codex streaming at 1080p with 5.1. Average movies on that network is around 7-8 gigs with silverlight. Perhaps they might be getting better with compression? IDK, Just a thought.

This is my signature

I thin it won't come down to the resolution. The new Nintendo 3ds streams 3d movies (although their small and short) through their e-shop. If you were using netflix it via the Xbox, it uses silverlight and I know at least through zune marketplace they have that codex streaming at 1080p with 5.1. Average movies on that network is around 7-8 gigs with silverlight. Perhaps they might be getting better with compression? IDK, Just a thought.

This is my signature
    IMHO, it all just boils down to the available content on the net, as there aren't many 3D channels on TV at all. I remember previous football World Cup was in 3D and it was pretty good, but that's all I saw in 3D on TV.
    Movies being 7-8GB each will eat up your bandwidth cap in no time. Considernig that average browsing takes about 10-20GB/month, if I remember correctly, you won't have much cap left for the movies at all. Of course, some of us have Acanac and TekSavvy with 300GB or unlimited plans, but average Joe in Canada still uses Bell and Rogers, which screw people over as much as they want.

I'm with Teksavvy.. love them. Unlimited. I use about 500gigs a month. No issues. If you are worried about bandwidth, just switch, there are other options for most people.

Also since the OP has a PS3, they have a section within their own application called "Playstation Store" that has all 3D movies for rent or sale. I have no idea about 3D TV channels.

IMHO, it all just boils down to the available content on the net, as there aren't many 3D channels on TV at all. I remember previous football World Cup was in 3D and it was pretty good, but that's all I saw in 3D on TV.
    Movies being 7-8GB each will eat up your bandwidth cap in no time. Considernig that average browsing takes about 10-20GB/month, if I remember correctly, you won't have much cap left for the movies at all. Of course, some of us have Acanac and TekSavvy with 300GB or unlimited plans, but average Joe in Canada still uses Bell and Rogers, which screw people over as much as they want.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."

So looks like there are ~130-160 3D blu-ray movies out there (some were filmed in the 1950s LOL).
    http://www.3dmovielist.com/list.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_films
    http://3dmovieslist.blogspot.ca/

I have hard time believing that we will get them on TV channels any time soon, although seeing world cup in 3D, nothing is impossible.

Bell offers movie rentals for 6.99 a pop: http://www.bell.ca/Bell_TV/Promotions/3D_movies but I don't see any 3D channels on their list. There was some talk of 3D channels:
    http://canadahifi.com/forum/showthre...D-Channel-1933

Rogers also seems to have 1+ channels: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=128074

Lets see how far it will get.