Question about dropped bikes, please.

Thread: Question about dropped bikes, please.

Question about dropped bikes, please.

I am new to the bike scene. I'm a hardcore BMW enthusiast and decided instead of going the turbo route for my E30, I can get a bike instead. I've had my M2 from RTI in October, but only now started to look for my first bike.

I have a question about bikes that have been dropped. I could imagine that it is a turn off, but is it that bad that I should not consider a bike that had been down on the ground?

Thanks folks!

-Rob

Re: Question about dropped bikes, please.

If you don't know anything about bikes, or don't have friends that know anything about bikes-- you're essentially buying something that might have more damage than it looks.

You can tell by the marks left on the fairings what kind of damage was done. If the marks go up and down, it was probably dropped from a stand still, such as being knocked over when parked or the rider lost their footing when they stopped and tipped the bike over. If the marks are front to back, then it was sliding, so dropped by riding. Rider could have low sided.

If there's damage to the top of the bike, windshield, etc, then the rider could have high sided and the bike actually flipped. It's really hard to tell from speculation, but I've dropped previous bikes at very low speeds and the damage reflects the low speed fall so they sell no problem minus some funds.
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

What jay said. IMO, a bike that's been dropped from standstill or really low speed is unlikely to sustain more than superficial damage. Sometimes I don't think the reduction in price is warranted for such minor laydowns but, like jay said, you just never know for sure. Look for the tell tale signs, ask the owner to give it a cold start and ride it around so you can watch/listen for anything out of the ordinary. Best thing is to have a friend or mechanic inspect it for you. If you still don't feel right about it walk away.

Thanks!
    I will keep that in consideration. From the looks of it, the oil cover scratches go down to up!

El Gato Liso, Welcome my maXbimmer bro!
    Follow me on Twitter: @SEVEN40iL

this question gets asked a lot by new riders. A lightly rashed bike, no big deal, a heavily rashed/crashed bike, may be ok, you just need to have a deeper look at it. The best way is to ask the owner to remove the fairings prior to your arrival. Plastics can be replaced, the key is looking for frame damage, bent forks, leaking fork seals, leaking fluids, etc. You take a chance whenever you buy used. As a new rider you don't know what questions to ask, bringing an experienced friend is a great idea, even asking someone on the forum, offer them some money/beer for their time to give you an honest opinion. You never really know until you take the motorcycle apart, you always take a chance.

I wouldn't shy away from a lightly rashed bike as a first ride, chances are high you will drop it at one point in time. You'll be much more upset erasing $1k in value rashing a mint bike than re-rashing a bike. Everyone wants pristine, but for a beginner, I actually wouldn't recommend it.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

why you want a crashed bike?? S1000rr all the way bro, it'll slap the **** outta any other BMW...

As a new rider, I am going to assume that I will at some point drop the bike. I shouldn't think that way, but I will consider it part of learning.

That is my plan. With that assumption, I am not really concerned if the bike has been dropped for that very reason. So I won't be upset when I scuff up the bike...

I will consider that advice for sure. If I can bum an experienced rider to check the motorcycle, then that is the way to go about it.

maXbimmer brooooo big black autocrossing 7series with the long hair??

Post a pic of your E30!
    "I live in my own reality, You are just a guest"

2010 GSX-R 600 (RIP - ate by a jetta)
    2011 GSX-R 600 (my 2010's evil reincarnation)

***Disclaimer: I am usually bored at work or drunk when on this forum***

Here + 2 more!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bmwsig.jpg   dirtyyyye30.jpg   at.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
    Here + 2 more!!
    Cool car.

My advice: Find some bikes you are interested in, then ask for advice on those in particular. If you're nice, maybe a more experienced rider will accompany you to check it out.
    Never to be taken seriously. Ever.

Some people use the term broadly so make sure your on the same page with the seller when it comes to the definition of "dropped". Many say dropped when IMHO the proper word would be crashed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
    maXbimmer brooooo big black autocrossing 7series with the long hair??
    Yes Sir!
    Follow me on Twitter: @SEVEN40iL