2006 zx10r heats up

Thread: 2006 zx10r heats up

2002 Suzuki GSX - R 600 (SOLD), 2000 Gixxer 750 , YO MAMMA

2006 zx10r heats up

hi guys
    my 2006 zx10 is heating up after a few minutes.
    I can hear the fan kicking in but still heats up

any help is appreciated.

thanks
    A bike is like a releationship, right when u get comfotable with it, U CRASH!!!!

Re: 2006 zx10r heats up

Quote Originally Posted by timmy_13 View Post
    hi guys
    my 2006 zx10 is heating up after a few minutes.
    I can hear the fan kicking in but still heats up

any help is appreciated.

thanks
    Check your thermostat, I buddy had the same problem with his 636 overheating...I swapped the thermostat and it fixed the issue

What's meant by "heats up" ... It's pretty normal for those to exceed 100 C if left idling, even if the cooling fan is on. In summer when stuck in a traffic jam, I've seen 118 C. These bikes just run hot, it's the way they are.

What's the indicated temperature when you are rolling down the road? The thermostat in those opens early, around 65 - 70 C. The running temperature if you are cruising at 80 - 100 km/h tends to be whatever the ambient temperature is plus 50 - 60 C or thereabouts, or 65 C, whichever is greater (because of the thermostat). If it acts in this manner then the thermostat is probably OK.

Make sure your radiator isn't half clogged with bugs and dirt. Make sure not too many of the fins are smashed over from bug or rock hits. BE CAREFUL when cleaning it or straightening the fins, you can do it but don't do more damage!

Look how ridiculously small that stock cooling fan is. Some people have added a second cooling fan, and I've seen replacement fan blades made of aluminum - in southern climates, these bikes have apparently run hot enough to start melting the stock fan ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    What's meant by "heats up" ... It's pretty normal for those to exceed 100 C if left idling, even if the cooling fan is on. In summer when stuck in a traffic jam, I've seen 118 C. These bikes just run hot, it's the way they are.

What's the indicated temperature when you are rolling down the road? The thermostat in those opens early, around 65 - 70 C. The running temperature if you are cruising at 80 - 100 km/h tends to be whatever the ambient temperature is plus 50 - 60 C or thereabouts, or 65 C, whichever is greater (because of the thermostat). If it acts in this manner then the thermostat is probably OK.

Make sure your radiator isn't half clogged with bugs and dirt. Make sure not too many of the fins are smashed over from bug or rock hits. BE CAREFUL when cleaning it or straightening the fins, you can do it but don't do more damage!

Look how ridiculously small that stock cooling fan is. Some people have added a second cooling fan, and I've seen replacement fan blades made of aluminum - in southern climates, these bikes have apparently run hot enough to start melting the stock fan ...
    Wow did not know that!!!

I was actually thikning about adding an extra fan as well....it was not fun sitting in NYC's tunnels overheating....with a bike will full exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post

Its a big bang theory 118+ after which uncontrolled increase and bang usually follows. 95-98 is the idle traffic temp to keep pressure under control. Its definitely the sirculation system to be looked at.

brave may die, weak never lived at all

I don't like seeing temperature over 110 C in the cooling system, either, but 95 - 98 C on this particular bike with the stock cooling fan while idling and the bike not moving is not going to happen without more air moving capacity for the cooling fan (i.e. add another one).

If the temperature when rolling down the road is around 50 or 60 C higher than the ambient temperature, then the cooling system is probably normal. If you are stuck in traffic, it's gonna get hot. If that's the underlying issue and you can't foresee solving it by not riding in traffic jams (!) then you need more cooling fan air moving capacity ... It's a well known issue with these ...

Original poster has not chimed in with a clarification of what the original situation is.