Oil Filter and Oil Drain Bolt - Ninja 250

Thread: Oil Filter and Oil Drain Bolt - Ninja 250

Oil Filter and Oil Drain Bolt - Ninja 250

So I was doing my oil change yesterday and I noticed that when tightening the bolts, it felt that I was going too far (manual says 14.5 ft/lbs). So I decided to check my torque wrench and its completely off.

Borrowed a friends wrench today and it looks like I went up to 21.6 ft/lbs. Anyone with experience on the 250s know if that's too much? If I might be looking at having to repair that?

Don't know if there are any leaks as of yet. Will start putting the new oil now.

Re: Oil Filter and Oil Drain Bolt - Ninja 250

What's done is done. Don't try to change it until the next oil change interval. At the next oil change interval, buy a new drain plug and a new gasket and see what happens.

What Brian said... I did something similar to my 250...but only went up to 18ft/lbs. Left it till next oil change...everything was ok... I wouldnt sweat it. Get yourself a torque wrench for next time.
    To ride or not to ride…THAT is a stupid question !!

you'll be fine...those are just guidelines, nothing is gonna happen if you over torqued a drain plug a few extra lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
    you'll be fine...those are just guidelines, nothing is gonna happen if you over torqued a drain plug a few extra lbs.
    Not really... Over tighten a "HOT" aluminum pan with a steel drain plug and stripped threads are a very good possibility. Even by just a few lbs over, ive seen this a number of times.
    Odds are op is good and like mentioned shouldnt worry about it till next oil change or unless its leaking.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

In some cases, you can consider the torque specs guidelines.. In other cases, the torque spec is very important. It's good to know when it is and when it isn't important. Rod and main bolts are extremely important..as are head bolts. Shift lever bolt..not so much..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

In 15 years of doing oil changes myself, I've never used a torque wrench. Just use a regular box wrench to the point where it's snug, then give it one extra quarter turn. Done. No leaks, no stripped threads.
    I save the torque wrench for wheels and suspension components.

Thanks for all the replies. I did have a torque wrench, but I found out it was not calibrated after I had already used.

I took it for a small ride yesterday and no leaks. Then took for a longer ride with high RPMs and also no leaks so far. So all should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by wormburner View Post
    Just use a regular box wrench to the point where it's snug, then give it one extra quarter turn. Done. No leaks, no stripped threads.
    +1 I don't bother with the torque wrench for low torque applications unless it's mechanically crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
    +1 I don't bother with the torque wrench for low torque applications unless it's mechanically crucial.
    I would only say that, based on the number of stripped drain plug fiascos, some ham-fisted people might be wise to check if what they THINK is appropriate really is appropriate. It takes a significant amount of torque to strip a drain plug..I have on idea what people think they're trying to do. There's very little pressure in the crankcase folks..you're basically sealing a hole in a bucket..it doesn't require a breaker bar!!
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

+1
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    Not really... Over tighten a "HOT" aluminum pan with a steel drain plug and stripped threads are a very good possibility. Even by just a few lbs over, ive seen this a number of times.
    Odds are op is good and like mentioned shouldnt worry about it till next oil change or unless its leaking.
    I'm curious why those manufacturers do not "hollow" out the bolt so when someone over torque it, the bolt will snap instead of busting the threads.

My car has that. I think my bike has a hollowed out bolt with a magnet in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by wormburner View Post
    On the contrary, I use my torque wrench for engine covers & drain plugs
    Resident Loudmouth

Don't why you need a torque wrench for a drain plug, I have never used one and never had a leaking problem.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

+ on that.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Don't why you need a torque wrench for a drain plug, I have never used one and never had a leaking problem.
    Because not everyone is mechanicaly inclined. Most dont know how to tighten by feel, this is the tech generation remember .
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    Most dont know how to tighten by feel, this is the tech generation remember .
    This makes me sad.
    Not passing judgement.
    Just sad.