Drip Drip Drip... Culprit Found

Thread: Drip Drip Drip... Culprit Found

Drip Drip Drip... Culprit Found

So a little background first.

Bike: 2005 zx6r 636
    KM's: About 44xxxkm
    Problem: Oil dripping

Last year (at around 41xxxkm) I got my valves adjusted by a reputable mechanic, not me (turns out only two needed to be adjusted). After this, I started noticing a small, annoying amount of oil always staining my fairings. It's not a big deal as I've been checking my oil level (every time before I ride) and it's always perfect, never really have to top it off since I change my oil every 2000.

Anyhow, I wanted to find out the source so I stripped the bike apart and degreased it all, scrubbed it all with a toothbrush and some kerosene (was careful on all the rubber areas and places that needed lube). After a soft rinse and a heated dry, I think I found the culprit (see pic). The area is normally covered by some thick rubber piece (mine is ripped). I moved the rubber piece aside to take a picture and it looks like their is a thick rubber seal that isn't doing its job properly. I saw a little oil-like bubble coming out of the area surrounded by a red circle in the picture. I could be wrong as it was dark and looking at the picture their seems to be some more staining above that area. On normal riding, the oil seeps along the frame slider and than eventually flies off from the wind and smears all over the bottom fairing.

I've never done any engine work before and hence have no experience with this sort of stuff. Is it as easy as re-torquing some bolt or should the seal be replaced? I'm quite sure its not a big problem, its just really annoying having to always clean it or when a drop falls on the headers and stinks up the place with that white smoke. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Drip Drip Drip... Culprit Found

Don't be afraid to replace that gasket. Those gaskets are really well made...but you have to make sure that its in its grove.

I've adjusted a few valves on 03/04 and 05/06 kawi's and never had a oil leak issue at the gasket. I suspect there might be something lodged between the gasket or the gasket not seating properly.

Replacing that gasket will take some time, as you gotta remove a bunch of stuff to get to that cover...I wouldn't re-toque fastners unless they are loose already. I would remove the cover and inspect the gasket - clean and re-install and make sure its seating properly.
    Last edited by frekeyguy; 04-22-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    Don't be afraid to replace that gasket. Those gaskets are really well made...but you have to make sure that its in its grove.

I've adjusted a few valves on 03/04 and 05/06 kawi's and never had a oil leak issue at the gasket. I suspect there might be something lodged between the gasket or the gasket not seating properly.

Replacing that gasket will take some time, as you gotta remove a bunch of stuff to get to that cover...I wouldn't re-toque fastners unless they are loose already. I would remove the cover and inspect the gasket - clean and re-install and make sure its seating properly.
    Thanks frekeyguy.

So you're saying that when changing valves that gasket does get touched. Sounds like I need to open up my manual and have some fun over the next few rainy days. Off the top of your head, do you know how much that gasket goes for?

When replacing those gaskets, make sure u put a bead of silicone gasket maker at the Half-moon crescent part of the gasket

Put silicone bead on, partially tighten and when it becomes dry to the touch, fully torque to spec
    Resident Loudmouth

Maybe a super thin film of silicone would be ok, but in my experience people tend to way overdo it with the stuff.
    Use something recommended for Kawi. (Like Honda has Hondabond etc.)

Excess silicone can be one of the worst things for your engine. Lot's and lot's of motors have been ruined by people putting way too much silicone into a gasket area and the excess gets squeezed out inside the motor blocking oil passages etc.

I would say with a new gasket torqued properly you shouldn't need anything.
    Sure there is hot oil present, but not at a super high pressure. (The breather should be relieving pressure there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiider View Post
    Maybe a super thin film of silicone would be ok, but in my experience people tend to way overdo it with the stuff.
    Use something recommended for Kawi. (Like Honda has Hondabond etc.)

Excess silicone can be one of the worst things for your engine. Lot's and lot's of motors have been ruined by people putting way too much silicone into a gasket area and the excess gets squeezed out inside the motor blocking oil passages etc.

I would say with a new gasket torqued properly you shouldn't need anything.
    Sure there is hot oil present, but not at a super high pressure. (The breather should be relieving pressure there.)
    My previous bike had that leak and my car had that leak. Simply because no silicone was used.

If done right, I don't see how you can get silicone in the passages
    Resident Loudmouth

Key words "If done right"

Most people, when called upon to use silicone in an application like this, use waaaaaaay too much.

A "bead" of silicone does not mean a 1/4" diameter glob. It means a really thin stripe exactly where it is needed, which is at each sharp corner between each of the half-moons and the straight part of the gasket and a few millimeters (no more!) on each side.

Too much gasket will squeeze out inside the engine, then peel off and get into the oil pick-up screen or worse, get *through* the oil pick-up screen and clog the oil jet in the oil feed for the transmission, and that oil supply does NOT go through the oil filter on a good many bikes (i.e. every one I've worked on) so there's nothing stopping it until it gets to the restrictor jet, which it promptly clogs, eventually causing transmission failure from lack of lubrication to the bushings.

Seen it happen ... had to fix the aftereffects ... it was expensive.

Awesome information guys! Really helpful, thanks a lot.
    Turns out the OEM gasket is really cheap $27.18 to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by oren102 View Post
    Awesome information guys! Really helpful, thanks a lot.
    Turns out the OEM gasket is really cheap $27.18 to be exact.
    I've yet to see this gasket fail...these bike's aren't too old really.

I personally have been using a nice thin bead of Locktite RTV to use where the gasket was broken or they were expenisve or hard to find...its been working great so far.