Making my own custom luggage rack - legal or illegal?

Thread: Making my own custom luggage rack - legal or illegal?

Making my own custom luggage rack - legal or illegal?

Hi folks,

I'm new to motorcycles and new to the forum. I've looked for a similar question to this but haven't found one. Sorry if I'm duplicating.

I'm a student of Kendo - Japanese Fencing. The equipment consists of armour and bamboo swords. The armour bag's not that heavy (22 lbs or so) but it's kind of bulky and awkward to carry.

My bike has a very small sissy bar/rack on it. There are bolt holes in it and it looks like the previous owner had bolted on a luggage box of some sort. I was thinking to make a platform that could be bolted to the rack (material not yet decided, but could be as simple as plywood) which would provide a wider base to support the armour bag. The bag would be tied/bungeed down so it wouldn't fall off.

I was hoping someone could let me know if this would be considered legal or not. Would a home-made accessory be legal? There's no other way I can think of to carry the armour bag safely. I haven't seen luggage boxes big enough for this. It's too big to sit on the back seat without removing the sissy bar and even then, there's not enough room for it on the seat to even consider strapping it down. The bag's base dimensions are around 18" wide and 22" long and it's around 16" tall.

Your feedback and expertise is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Making my own custom luggage rack - legal or illegal?

I've come up with quite a few crazy looking things in order to carry things on the bike, never had an issue with them being illegal, as long as they are safe. I guess you can always be charged with "unsafe load" if a cop decides it's not safe. I pull a trailer with my bike now so I have no more worries as far as cargo.

How floppy is your intended cargo going to be? Aside from the unsafe load part, a shifting load going around a corner or in a panic turn / stop could make the difference between a safe stop or a wreck. Not being familiar with Kendo I am picturing hockey goalie equipment. Maybe someone with hockey experience can help.
    As far as the legality goes, I've seen some pretty dumb things on car roofs and the police don't seem to care. It's more likely to be a charge after the fact if you have a collision / wreck.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by niagara1 View Post
    Your feedback and expertise is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    As long as it's securely attached to the bike, there is no problem with a homemade carrier of those dimensions. If add-ons were illegals, Givi would be out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    How floppy is your intended cargo going to be? Aside from the unsafe load part, a shifting load going around a corner or in a panic turn / stop could make the difference between a safe stop or a wreck. Not being familiar with Kendo I am picturing hockey goalie equipment. Maybe someone with hockey experience can help.
    As far as the legality goes, I've seen some pretty dumb things on car roofs and the police don't seem to care. It's more likely to be a charge after the fact if you have a collision / wreck.
    I have built a prototype platform (heck, might be the final product) using 3/4" plywood. It weighs 8 lbs. The armour weighs 22 lbs, so I'd be holding 30 lbs on the sissy bar/rack. The armour bag doesn't "flop" once everything's in. The platform has raised sides (around 4") and is made to measure so the bag fits in firmly. While I haven't had a test ride yet, I don't think it would be possible for the armour bag to shift once it's secured with a cargo strap.

The platform actually fits over the back rest of the sissy bar and then bolts onto the rack so it's quite firmly attached. I can imagine its looks might draw some attention from the police (it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb) but perhaps once I've painted it and added some reflective stickers it might not look so home-made.

Any other suggestions on how to avoid any issues police might raise would be welcome. Unsafe load, indeed...

Thanks folks!

To reduce the "ghetto" look of the wood, you can either just paint it and leave it as such or create something similar with diamond plate and u-bolts. The only tools required would be an angle grinder, a socket wrench and a drill. If you go that route, make sure you protect the edges as they could cut someone.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    To reduce the "ghetto" look of the wood, you can either just paint it and leave it as such or create something similar with diamond plate and u-bolts. The only tools required would be an angle grinder, a socket wrench and a drill. If you go that route, make sure you protect the edges as they could cut someone.
    Thanks for that idea. I'd thought about making it out of metal, but two problems came to mind. 1) I have no experience with metal work and 2) the edges could be a challenge safety-wise.

I don't care about the looks of the platform so much. I think it's safe. Paint will make it look okay but I don't think I'd keep the platform on if I wasn't going to Kendo practice. Practically speaking though, if I keep getting pulled over by police when I'm on my way to a practice carrying my stuff, I'll be constantly late. Even if I never got charged with anything, it would be a hassle.

Ideally, you wanna cut diamond plate on a band-saw and use a drill press (even though you can get away with using a regular drill, but it's time-consuming). Typically, if you have access to those tools, you'd have access to the tools needed to bend the edges and even a stick-welder, so you could pimp it out quite nicely and then spray with Tremclad. As long as it secures the load properly, wood will be OK, but paint it - the less ghettoish it looks, the less likely you're gonna get hassled by the popo.
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Maybe trace your plywood template onto some plastic cutting board material. Router out slots around the platform's perimeter all the way around, maybe an inch from the endge. That will give you a number of spots to loop straps thru. The outer wals will be unnecessary.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Also...in the past when I used racks I would also use that rubber, dollar store matting to help the luggage stay in place. It's amazing stuff especially if you carry one bag on top of another and put that stuff in between the 2 bags and between the 1st bag and the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by m.breen View Post
    Also...in the past when I used racks I would also use that rubber, dollar store matting to help the luggage stay in place.
    Good idea. Probably won't be necessary with the armour bag but might be with other things if I decide to use it to carry other things. Never say never...

I'll send pics when I have something to show.

Just a few pics after the first ride with the platform/tray installed. It was solid - no bouncing around of either armour or sword bag. Cornered well. Hardly knew it was there. Now working on rounding the pointy corners to make it a little more user-friendly.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tray5.jpg   tray4.jpg   tray1.jpg  

Not bad at all.. Shouldn't set off any bells and/or whistles

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Not bad at all.. Shouldn't set off any bells and/or whistles
    Or sirens, hopefully. Thanks!

I had to laugh, your "storage solution" looks much better than mine - an old shelf cut to support a large piece of luggage, secured to the small rack. Looked dumb, but it worked.

Loaded up.

Quote Originally Posted by niagara1 View Post
    Just a few pics after the first ride with the platform/tray installed. It was solid - no bouncing around of either armour or sword bag. Cornered well. Hardly knew it was there. Now working on rounding the pointy corners to make it a little more user-friendly.

It looks good and secure. If you want more stability and less cantilevering, and if you do not ride with a passenger to kendo, you could add another groove for the sissy bar and move the whole tray forward, over the pillion. You could also then add a rider backrest at the same time.

To scare off bad drivers you could ride with your kendo mask exposed and facing rearward. Drivers might assume you are also carrying a katana....

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

shouldn't be illegal. I know my brother made his own and his top box is a waerproof tool box. Hasn't gotten in any toruble yet about it.
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

As long as it's well and properly secured, and the load that it carries is also properly secured, there should be no legal issue. Some people have used large, thick plastic cutting boards, drilling holes to bolt it to the rack and for bungee hooks, to increase the size of their carriers.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde