Making my own custom luggage rack - legal or illegal?

Thread: Making my own custom luggage rack - legal or illegal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Making my own custom luggage rack - legal or illegal?

Just a few pics after the first ride with the platform/tray installed. It was solid - no bouncing around of either armour or sword bag. Cornered well. Hardly knew it was there. Now working on rounding the pointy corners to make it a little more user-friendly.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tray5.jpg   tray4.jpg   tray1.jpg  

Not bad at all.. Shouldn't set off any bells and/or whistles
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Not bad at all.. Shouldn't set off any bells and/or whistles
    Or sirens, hopefully. Thanks!

I had to laugh, your "storage solution" looks much better than mine - an old shelf cut to support a large piece of luggage, secured to the small rack. Looked dumb, but it worked.

Loaded up.

Quote Originally Posted by niagara1 View Post
    Just a few pics after the first ride with the platform/tray installed. It was solid - no bouncing around of either armour or sword bag. Cornered well. Hardly knew it was there. Now working on rounding the pointy corners to make it a little more user-friendly.

It looks good and secure. If you want more stability and less cantilevering, and if you do not ride with a passenger to kendo, you could add another groove for the sissy bar and move the whole tray forward, over the pillion. You could also then add a rider backrest at the same time.

To scare off bad drivers you could ride with your kendo mask exposed and facing rearward. Drivers might assume you are also carrying a katana....

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

shouldn't be illegal. I know my brother made his own and his top box is a waerproof tool box. Hasn't gotten in any toruble yet about it.
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

As long as it's well and properly secured, and the load that it carries is also properly secured, there should be no legal issue. Some people have used large, thick plastic cutting boards, drilling holes to bolt it to the rack and for bungee hooks, to increase the size of their carriers.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde