04 EX250 drilled muffler

Thread: 04 EX250 drilled muffler

04 EX250 drilled muffler

Hey everyone, new guy here with my first used bike and I have some questions. I bought the bike while it was winterized so it wasn't started until I already had it. It runs great and passed safety fine, but it seems one of the previous owners did this to the exhaust http://imgur.com/a/JfWz5#0

Now I don't know how far down they are drilled(if that matters), but it makes the bike pretty loud and a bit annoying. Any ideas on what the best way to fix this would be? Or should I just suck it up and ride with louder exhausts? Don't want to look like an a-hole with a stupid loud 250 lol.
    Yellow 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Helmet: AGV T2 Maori White/Gunmetal/Gold
    ATGATT

Re: 04 EX250 drilled muffler

Well...there isnt much you can do to fix it. You could weld those holes back in from the surface? But the past owner probably gutted the muffler too. Here is a link explaining some of this stuff:
    http://www.newninja.com/forums/f98/m...ideo-3636.html

Your options are to wear ear buds if you feel too annoyed by the loud noise or to buy a slip on exhaust (2 bros, yoshimaru, etc) that will change the noise to slightly softer. But hey, in my opinion, your exhaust probably sounds badass for a 250 and is unique! It doesnt sound like the stock sewing machine lol. Also this is safer as cars can hear you better with such an exhaust. If I were you, I'd keep it!

If you can....record a sound clip. I'm sure people would want to hear it!

See if someone with a stock silencer wants to trade.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

Smile Re: 04 EX250 drilled muffler

tap the holes, then put some nice looking chrome bolts in with lock-tite, fixed.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll get a clip of the sound sometime tomorrow. I guess it is somewhat unique and badass but if I do find 2 used mufflers I'll probably put those on. Wish it was a 2 in 1 exhaust so I only had one muffler :P

ATGATT

Quote Originally Posted by Scudworth View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll get a clip of the sound sometime tomorrow. I guess it is somewhat unique and badass but if I do find 2 used mufflers I'll probably put those on. Wish it was a 2 in 1 exhaust so I only had one muffler :P
    Self-tapping sheetmetal screws, if you can find big enough ones. A PO had drilled out the muffler (and removed the baffles) on one of my previous rides. It took forever to warm up and was on the loud side. At the time, I had nothing to compare it to, so the mystery was only solved when I had it certified for sale.

Huh I didn't know it would effect the warming up time. That would explain why mine takes forever. As for the self-tapping screws, the holes are about 1/2 inch so finding screws that size will be hard. One of the ideas I had was to get a washer the diameter of the exhaust and just cover up the holes, fastening it with muffler cement. Although that is a lot more work than wearing earplugs :P

ATGATT

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    tap the holes, then put some nice looking chrome bolts in with lock-tite, fixed.
    This is what I was going to suggest as well!
    Lets Ride

I have zzr ex 250 exhausts for sale. They don't look amazing but they arnt too bad I'll take pictures, I'd be willing to part with them for 50 bucks.
    Not sure if it's the same as ur bike but u can look at a picture. I think it's the same! If your wondering why i have extra exhausts I'm a ****** with loud 250 exhausts lol

Not sure if ur still lookin for pipes but this is what they look like. They should fit. They are abit dinged up as scratched but they are quiet chrome and only 50 bucks.