Clutch Problem

Thread: Clutch Problem

Clutch Problem

I'm new to motorcycles and this may be a newbie question, but I figured I'd asked anyways. When I pull my clutch in (in first gear), the rear wheel still moves. When the bike is in neutral, the wheel doesn't move and shifting gears seems to works fine. If I apply to rear brakes for 10 seconds, the wheel stops moving, but once I hit the friction point again, the same problem occurs. I was wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this? I hope my explanation is clear enough.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Clutch Problem

This is normal. I assume you mean when the bike is on a stand and not on the ground. This is something that wet clutches do, the oil between the friction plates and the clutch plates can transmit enough energy to get the wheel moving if it's in the air, but it doesn't affect much. You will notice this less when the engine has warmed up.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    This is normal. I assume you mean when the bike is on a stand and not on the ground. This is something that wet clutches do, the oil between the friction plates and the clutch plates can transmit enough energy to get the wheel moving if it's in the air, but it doesn't affect much. You will notice this less when the engine has warmed up.
    I don't believe that is the problem. Even when it's on the ground the bike still moves when the clutch is held in.

Quote Originally Posted by lol.what? View Post
    I don't believe that is the problem. Even when it's on the ground the bike still moves when the clutch is held in.
    Does your clutch lever feel very loose? It may have too much free play and is not disengaging the clutch fully.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Check your freeplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRBGiTrpp7I

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Does your clutch lever feel very loose? It may have too much free play and is not disengaging the clutch fully.
    I'll try adjusting the free play tomorrow and let you guys know the outcome. I did check it and the free play seems a little wider than a quarters width as mentioned in the video from Jamie M. To be approximate, it could probably fit another quarter in there. Does that mean there is too much free play?

I'll try adjusting the free play tomorrow and let you guys know the outcome. I did check it and the free play seems a little wider than a quarters width as mentioned in the video from Jamie M. To be approximate, it could probably fit another quarter in there. Does that mean there is too much free play?
    Nope, two quarters is fine. I can fit a whole finger in mine and it's right on the limit of not disengaging

It could be warped clutch spacers unfortunately, or worn clutch plate teeth. No way to tell cept ripping open the clutch assembly

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Nope, two quarters is fine. I can fit a whole finger in mine and it's right on the limit of not disengaging

It could be warped clutch spacers unfortunately, or worn clutch plate teeth. No way to tell cept ripping open the clutch assembly

-Jamie M.
    Any idea on how much it would cost to fix the issues that you mentioned? I just got insurance this month, and I want to check if I can afford to fix this

Any idea on how much it would cost to fix the issues that you mentioned? I just got insurance this month, and I want to check if I can afford to fix this
    If you do all the work yourself, really cheap. I don't think a clutch job is for a very beginner though. Send Johnny636 a message on here, or his company is http://www.stuntersinc.ca/ he does awesome work and if anyone knows clutches it's that guy

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    If you do all the work yourself, really cheap. I don't think a clutch job is for a very beginner though. Send Johnny636 a message on here, or his company is http://www.stuntersinc.ca/ he does awesome work and if anyone knows clutches it's that guy

-Jamie M.
    Alright, thanks for the help and referral. By the way, I've been reading some stuff online about something call "clutch drag" and "clutch slip" would you happen to know anything about that and if that is something that may be causing this problem? Also to add onto that, my friction point is at a point that is close to the clutch being released, could that have an influence on the problem?
    Last edited by lol.what?; 04-21-2012 at 11:17 PM.

I just got back in from the garage trying to solve this same issue. I had tried adjusting the freeplay and it wasn't working. In gear my bike would roll forward with the clutch lever held in even with me sitting on it.

After taking the clutch apart, I found one of the steel clutch plates was completely stuck on the clutch center that they slide on to. I'm assuming it was warped. I just put everything back together with new steel and friction plates. I'm hoping this will fix it but I won't find out until I try it tomorrow. I will let you know.

If you want a mechanic to replace the clutch plates it'll probably cost $350. Doing it yourself would save you about an hour or two of labour to the mechanic.
    Last edited by Psycho_Biker; 04-25-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    My rides:
    '93 Honda VFR400R (street)
    '92 Honda VFR400R (track)

How warm are you letting the bike get, before you have this problem? Was the bike in storage in a non heated room?

Alot of people do not realize that when your bike is stored in cold weather and not started for a while (winter storage), the clutch plates like to get stuck together...And unless you let it fully warm up, will act like its grabbing a little even when the clutch is disengaged....

My bike was doing it when it was fully warmed up on the way home from a 2-up ride.
    Last edited by Psycho_Biker; 04-25-2012 at 12:59 AM.
    My rides:

I'm new to motorcycles and this may be a newbie question, but I figured I'd asked anyways. When I pull my clutch in (in first gear), the rear wheel still moves. When the bike is in neutral, the wheel doesn't move and shifting gears seems to works fine. If I apply to rear brakes for 10 seconds, the wheel stops moving, but once I hit the friction point again, the same problem occurs. I was wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this? I hope my explanation is clear enough.

Thanks for your time.
    Are you talking about when they bike is on a stand and rear tire is in the air? If so, then this isn't a problem, most bikes behave like this. I think you are tracking down a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Replacing the clutch plates fixed my issue. I took it for a ride last night and it worked perfectly. If you can't fix it by adjusting the cable you might need to open up the clutch.
    My rides: