Thread: Ninja 250 vs. the big bikes at Laguna Seca

Re: Ninja 250 vs. the big bikes at Laguna Seca

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    Awesome

You mean this one?

http://youtu.be/Jnyl2Riaxu0?t=5m35s
    yes that's the one. I try not to name names :P

I believe the video was of an intermediate session, no? I know that the bigger bikes are on the brakes pretty hard before the crest of the blind hill before the corkscrew, the 250, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by NP6000 View Post
    yes that's the one. I try not to name names :P
    Can't get away with that; a whole bunch of us saw it in person

Quote Originally Posted by NP6000 View Post
    Did you forget about the 125 that was running down the red Gixxer at TMP last year?

This video has caused me to shed a tear for my old 250R... I had so much fun riding a slow bike fast.
    Of course I do. It's great mixing it up with the larger bikes at TMP, I certainly don't mind doing that ...... but TMP and Laguna, that to me is like apples and oranges. I mean, whatever I make up in the slow section of TMP I of course loose on the two straights, but there's now way I could make up anything at a track like Laguna in my opinion. This is a large piece of road (long and wide) for crying out loud, the R1 guys must have been seriously slow to not make up enough time to stay ahead.

Or little Ben on the 250 was just that good ....

I have a different take on all of this. The real fast guys on small bikes can actually be a menace running around in novice or even intermediate. They pass all of us slow guys in the corners, then putt putt down the straights so we have to re-pass, but then of course they pass us again in the next corner...and so on. Obviously, there is more opportunity for a mishap during a pass, so all of this swapping positions hardly enhances anyone's safety. The fast guy would do everyone a favour by getting on a bike that would keep him out front down the straights.

Of course, the fast guys tend to be experienced and usually know how to pass safely, and even leave some room to accommodate other riders' mistakes. But that Laguna video kinda gave me the creeps. On a few of those passes he didn't seem that far away from coming together with another rider who turned in on him. A bit aggressive for a track day if you ask me. I really don't feel like anyone should be out there with the beginners, trying to prove some kind of point.

If I'd been in that group, I would have pulled off for 30 s to get that guy on the opposite side of the track from me.
    It's never too late for a happy childhood...

^ The fix is to separate the groups by skill level, rather than rigid lap-time guidelines (which some track-day organizers have tried). The disadvantage is that group separation then becomes a judgment call, but it is a needed judgment call. Ninja 250 rider should have been in the advanced group, the others should have been in the beginner group.

By the way, if there does happen to be a fast guy on a small bike out in your intermediate or beginner class ... there's no obligation to blow past on the straightaway. Try hanging back a little on the straight and WATCH what that rider is doing in the braking zone and in the corners. Might learn something!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Try hanging back a little on the straight and WATCH what that rider is doing in the braking zone and in the corners. Might learn something!
    ^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    ^ By the way, if there does happen to be a fast guy on a small bike out in your intermediate or beginner class ... there's no obligation to blow past on the straightaway. Try hanging back a little on the straight and WATCH what that rider is doing in the braking zone and in the corners. Might learn something!
    Good point. In fact I have had that experience following some of the Racer 5 instructors...

Those guys in the Laguna video didn't seem too interested in watching and figuring out why they were getting dusted in every corner. You're right - that's exactly what they should have done.
    It's never too late for a happy childhood...

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDuck View Post
    Those guys in the Laguna video didn't seem too interested in watching and figuring out why they were getting dusted in every corner. You're right - that's exactly what they should have done.
    This happens all the time, by the way.

Someone goes out on their very first track day with their brand new GSXYZKCBR1000RRRRR and gets outbraked by someone on a little old crap box. "why you little ^#$#$R$ that shouldn't happen" then they twist the throttle on the next straight and go as fast as they can and brake way too early and this time the little old crap box rides right around the outside of them while they're wobbling around all out of shape while going slowly. And again and again. Best approach for track days is to check your ego at the gate. Ride, enjoy, watch, and learn.

There is a certain SOAR rider who was riding a Honda CBX250 very well last year, and giving riders on bigger bikes fits. Fun to watch. Side note, Jordan Szoke learned to race on one of those ...

I will fully admit to having seen a Yamaha FZR400 (same model as my race bike) pass me like I was standing still while sliding both wheels through corner 9 at Shannonville. I was a little busy at the time to analyze this situation in detail at the moment, but even so, knowing whose bike it was, "doesn't look right" - awesome, but not right. "OK John, who was on your bike ..." Turns out it was Frank Trombino ...

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    Reminds me of this dude on a Versys 650 opening up a can of *** whoop. It appears in this video, the guys who are on the SS know how to ride unlike the OPs video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYz5fMST508 Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nDcOz7oOVM Part 2
    Sweet!
    New to me for 2012.