What is the advantage of using a radial master cylinder

Thread: What is the advantage of using a radial master cylinder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What is the advantage of using a radial master cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    ....ill let you try my bike with the RCS on...and let me know if your opinion changes then...
    Is that offer extended to me??
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Is that offer extended to me??
    if you wreck her...make sure you pick up all the pieces for me...

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    if you wreck her...make sure you pick up all the pieces for me...
    Why would u think so negatively
    Resident Loudmouth

I didn't realize how much difference there really was....when installed it was a great upgrade for me,then one day my brembo needed a minor repair. While I was waiting for parts i put the stock redial master back on to go for a ride.....much more noticeable when u switch back, if your doing this for the bling factor then do whatever you want but if your doing this for some serious braking then I would highly recommend it. You get a lot more feel and control of your bike while braking heavily, it comes in handy when you need it

Would there still be a benefit to using a radial master with conventional calipers?

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    Would there still be a benefit to using a radial master with conventional calipers?
    Yes radial calipers just means the mounting bolts come in parallel with the rotors face, it adds stiffness compared to the conventional style...Aftermarket radial masters do much more then just change the angle of the mounting bolts. its the angle of the piston that changes, and again if your talking aftermarket, the size of the bore and stroke can be changed and also the overall manufacturing quality and higher tolerance in maching..So yes even with conventional style mounted calipers, they still make a huge improvement in braking performance...

Back in the day before bikes were coming with radial calipers, you would still see the majority of high lever race bikes running aftermarket Brembo radial master cylinders with conventional mounted brake calipers...I ran a Brembo 19x20 on my 01 R6 and my 03 R6 both had regular mounted brake calipers, and it still improved braking drastically!

And just for comparison a aftermarket Bremo radial gp master is about $260, braided lines are another $100 or so... I have Brembo HP radial billet calipers that cost $1500 and Braking SK rotors that cost me another $900....The $260 lever makes more of a difference then the calipers and rotors did, at fraction of the cost...
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 04-25-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Best and most bang for the buck improvement for brakes would be

1. GOOD QUALITY FLUID, next would be
    2. SS or KEVLAR lines....next in line would be
    3. Good quality pads ...next would be
    4. Aftermarket or big bore radial master....next would be
    5. Calipers. (some models you can swap them over to OEM mono-blocks - people claim they are better - some models use thicker pistons and coated pistons to prevent corrosion) .

Brakes are something you build to your liking and what purpose you use your bike for. Persoanlly my RCS is setup to run 19x20 setup...which is way too much brakes for me. A setup like what Johnnyp636 has "Magura billet 20mm" --> Thats just way too much brake and master for what I do.

So OP if you are thinking about a radial master - consider your budget - there are lots of options and possibilities to improve your brakes - just built it to suit your purpose.