Halogen vs Xenon

Thread: Halogen vs Xenon

Halogen vs Xenon

I just got some aux/driving lights and converted them to 6w x 2 LEDs.
    Now my question is how better is Xenon bulbs better than Halogens on bikes?
    I'm using a 55w Halogen bulb on mine and really want to use a Xenon bulb 5000k.

Would it draw less power too?
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER
    Look for a glowing white bike

Re: Halogen vs Xenon

Quote Originally Posted by LannyNguyen View Post
    Would it draw less power too?
    Depends, what bulb is in the bike now? You can get them in either 35w or 55w kits.
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Careful with terminology ... a "xenon" bulb is not necessarily a "HID" bulb.

Halogen bulbs are filled with inert gas, of which xenon is one choice ...

If it looks exactly like a regular bulb and fits into the housing the same way and plugs in electrically the same way then it's a regular bulb, be it filled with xenon or otherwise. There are some high-performance variations such as Silverstar, etc., but I've never noticed any appreciable difference from a standard bulb (tried a set in my car ... once) and they tend to have a much shorter life. The bulbs that claim to be "HID look" generally are regular bulbs with a coloured housing which creates the bluish tinge by filtering OUT the yellow and red ... translation, they put out LESS light, then they may (or may not) run the filament hotter to compensate, which means they have a short life.

HID is a whole different ball game. HID will always require additional wiring and control modules and transformers - the kits come with this. The put out a lot more light than standard bulbs. The problem is that the light comes out of the bulb in a different way so that reflectors designed for standard bulbs don't control the light pattern as well, i.e. it MAY (and probably will) let out too much light above the low beam cutoff line, which blinds oncoming motorists. Some reflectors work tolerably with HID bulbs, others don't. The right way to do this is to use a projector-beam housing that is designed for use with an HID bulb. I've seen some that can be fitted into a standard reflector housing but you'll have to take your headlight housing apart to install them, and most of them are not designed to be taken apart, so this is not easy ...

On starting though it will draw more current till its warm but after that it of course a 35W HID would draw less power then a 55W halogen.
    If your talking about those cheap halogen that claim they are xenon and can produce a 5,000k spectrum you will be ****** when you actually use them and they produce practically the same color spectrum as stock with just less light output.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I'm talking about the Xenon bulbs, not HIDs.
    Like this.
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER

So I'm guessing those bulbs I posted will provide the same colour spectrum from a normal halogen bulb? Even though they're posted at 5000k?
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER

Quote Originally Posted by LannyNguyen View Post
    So I'm guessing those bulbs I posted will provide the same colour spectrum from a normal halogen bulb? Even though they're posted at 5000k?
    The blue coating on them just lowers light output and makes them a tad whiter then stock.

Here is my 8,000k HID's compared to those exact bulbs:

2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Sweet thanks for the comparison.
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER