Comin' in bored from Jokeville

Thread: Comin' in bored from Jokeville

Comin' in bored from Jokeville

'allo. The names Brandon, but I go by Brad or Sabex and I'm 19 years old. I live in Oakville, but am barely there as I'm usually a few towns out with friends.

To starts: I ride a Suzuki GS500F (first bike, got it in November.)
    I had this really crazy idea to drive it on a 3000km round trip into the states, starting December 3rd and staying in Washington DC and then southeast North Carolina for 1-2 weeks a pop.

On that trip I encountered the horrors of Pennsylvania. The fog that was so thick I couldn't see, which also felt like shards of glass piercing my skin whenever I flipped my visor a crack to defog/deice it. The same fog that I could only keep riding in because of a local riding in front of me knowing the roads; his taillights made for a great visual aid for turns/etc.

I encountered the nice hail and freezing rain and ice, combined with rather pushy winds. And the transport trucks, oh god the transport trucks...
    After that I returned home December 22nd, put the bike away for awhile. On that trip I dropped the bike turning into a gas station in Pennsylvania (really, I hate that place...) because I was trying to avoid these hug pot holes filled with muddy water, and struck some black ice.

It was completely my fault, I was driving in weather I should not have been, was inexperience, and just generally made a very stupid, very bad and very poor choice.
    Nothing bad happened, the mirror and fairings got a little rash (they were already rashed from previous owners anyways: so i wasn't too concerned.) The clutch lever was already bent (my idiot stepdad, a day before I left, backed into the bike into the drive way and it landed on that side. it was the only damage, and after a thorough check: the bike was still working fine so I kept my plans to travel.) And the previous owner had installed flush mount turn signals, so not much damage was done to that: the casing just broke off (which I need to replace: because as of now water and other things can get access to the LEDs, they'll probably break soon or get fried)

I checked the bike over on spot, nothing seriously looked damaged, so I kept on heading back home. I got home, and put the bike away for awhile, as I realized how stupid I was for driving it.

Then, one of my step siblings decides to tip the bike over in the garage, breaking the front break lever off (its still broken: and I don't plan on getting a new one yet it still works fine.) Also rashed up the right side a little more (again, it was rashed from previous owners: so I wasn't too concerned about that.)

I expect to drop this bike a few more times as I continue to learn on it (I am by no means good, I still have a lot to learn and practice (like low peed maneuvers, and keeping my damn head up >>) I also plan on having this bike for a few more years (due to insurance and the fact that it's a wonderful and amazing bike.) So I plan to slowly modify it as time goes on.

So then my m1 expired (yes, i know. really stupid of me to travel to the states on an M1 on a bike I had only gotten a few weeks prior...), and I rewrote it February 17th. I took the m1x course at Sheridan last week, Brampton campus (Oakville was booked up when I registered) and Just got my m2 a few days ago. The instructors were awesome, helpful, and really friendly. I'd recommend the course to anyone looking to get their M2 (I also learnt a few things, not as much as someone brand new to biking, but quite a bit. Most of the things they taught I already learnt/was practicing: but it always helps to get more practice and some actual feedback on how well you're doing as opposed to just thinking.)

I hope to continue learning, and practicing my skills (especially low speed maneuvers.) Along with not being so crazy and riding in conditions that would pose too much of a risk (I'm somewhat of a daredevil, I 'spose: typical teenager thing) Although one thing I do pride myself on is I will never drive ANYTHING while intoxicated. If I do get intoxicated I either toss my keys to a sober buddy, or stay the heck away from a machine. Which usually ends up with me staying late after parties until I'm good enough to drive, or walking home :<

Wow this is getting really long. I'll just make the ending short ><
    I've had countless hours of dirt riding as I grew up in a small Newfoundland town (west coast), combined with about 6000kms of street riding. I've still got lots to learn, and lots to master (which comes with practice, practice and more practice.)
    I plan to have my '05 GS500F roll over (its at 25300kms on the odo right now, hopin' to have it strike 99999+ before I upgrade to a new bike in a few years [[due to insurance and the fact this beauty still has a lot to teach me]] with lots of proper maintenance and being well taken care of. I'm also doing all of the labor/work on the bike myself with the help of the internet and service manuals, so it's a nice learning experience for wrench turning)

AAAANNNNNDDDDD does anyone know a place in the GTA that distributes JTSPROCKETS? I want to switch from the 16/39 stock to a 15/41 set up to try it out and since my chain is rather old/needs to be replaced really soon: it's a perfect time to switch out sprockets also!
    I also need to find a place that sells LED's that'll fit in my gauges/cluster, my high beam indicator is broken so I need to swap that anyways: and wanna make the rest brighter/change the gauge color. I checked superbrightleds but they require an order over $25 to ship it international: and my order would come out to $20 or so (it may be 20 to ship international: and 16 m6 order comes out to, I forget), for all the LEDs I need. I do have a box on the border I can get access to, but with no other reason to go to Niagara, the amount i'd save wouldn't be worth the amount i'd spend on gas.

ps: if anyone wishes to slap me upside the head for being so stupid, feel free to do so in the event that we ever meet. (just don't hit the helmet: I'd quite like it to save my head in a crash thank you very much)

Re: Comin' in bored from Jokeville

Welcome. I took my first bike (roughly the same age as yourself) from Kitchener to Key West Florida with only two weeks riding experience...
    Enjoy your bike and ride safe.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

Welcome!!

Welcome to the forum and ride safe. Cheers