Motorcycle break in period.

Thread: Motorcycle break in period.

Motorcycle break in period.

So I just learned after buying a new bike that you are supposed to go easy on it the first 1000 kms. I didn't know. Now I haven't redlined my new bike but I also havent been the most forgiving. Will I have screwed up the engine going WOT off the lines at stoplights and going over the factory suggested rpm limits for the break in period?

Re: Motorcycle break in period.

Many believe that running it at WOT during break in period will help seat everything properly, ensuring good seals and compression.

Also, it's still under warranty... so if you do break something you'll be rewarded for it with a brand new motor.

I say Giv'er.

EDIT: Don't just blast a cold engine WOT, but you want to warm it up, then LOAD it up with some occasional smooth up to WOT pulls, but not to redline.
    Last edited by Kuma; 04-19-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Buy the ticket, take the ride: Hunter S Thompson

Every high reving race engine I have built has been broken in on the dyno (idle to WOT redline). IMO the key to breaking in any engine is to avoid sustained periods of the same rpm during the first 1000km.

I always break in a new machine pretty hard once its warmed up, it's still under warantee as mentioned and the best time for it to fail.

Go to factory pro's website and there is a great article about bikes that are broken in hard compared to recomended, the "properly" broken in bikes have poor performance afterwards.

The rings need to "seat under load" properly to perform well after the break in, if you break in easy then the parts do not "seat evenly according to them. I cant find the article but it is there somewhere http://www.factorypro.com/index.htm
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alex

First off, this has been beaten to death..do a search here. Second, don't listen to Mr. Mototune. Third, at this point, what are you going to do anyway?!?! Just ride it and stop worrying about it. Chances are you'll sell it in a year or two anyway.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by rbjeepthing View Post
    Every high reving race engine I have built has been broken in on the dyno (idle to WOT redline). IMO the key to breaking in any engine is to avoid sustained periods of the same rpm during the first 1000km.
    exactly, so ride the bike, and make sure you go through the RPM range etc. Dont get stuck on the 401 doing 100km.. at steady RPM for too long

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    First off, this has been beaten to death..do a search here. Second, don't listen to Mr. Mototune. Third, at this point, what are you going to do anyway?!?! Just ride it and stop worrying about it. Chances are you'll sell it in a year or two anyway.
    Sorry. If you've ever tried using the search function you know its not the best. I plan in keeping the bike for a while though, I just worry. I really just want someone to say itll be fine. You know?

Quote Originally Posted by TdotMurderer View Post
    Sorry. If you've ever tried using the search function you know its not the best. I plan in keeping the bike for a while though, I just worry. I really just want someone to say itll be fine. You know?
    You will be fine.

Change the oil and filter soon.. And enjoy. No need to over think this.