Stand Operating Procedure for Cagers who cut you off! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stand Operating Procedure for Cagers who cut you off!

I was use to getting cut off living in Ottawa and Montreal, the land of zombie drivers from people reading kobos on the highway to people making sandwiches while driving.. I learnt fast as got a loud loud air horn and since then I managed to not get cut off any more and even ended up scaring somebody so bad they swerved into the ditch lawl. Yes they were okay I stopped to check.

Re: Stand Operating Procedure for Cagers who cut you off!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    First, I'd suggest reviewing your riding technique. It may be that you aren't optimizing your posibilities for reducing the frequency of getting cut off.

Second, I'd suggest learning some techniques for chilling out when it does happen. Believe me, I know the feeling of anger that results when you get cut off. But, the reality is, you aren't going to win any altercation with a car or truck. And you aren't going to make the driver understand that they were wrong.

No driver I know of will admit that they drive poorly. I know all other drivers drive like arseholes and I'm about the only driver out there that knows what they're doing. But these folks will not listen when I yell at them telling them that they need to learn how to drive better. They just get defensive and/or angry and blame ME for the event.

Best thing to do is prevent it, and if that doesn't work, try to laugh about it and shrug it off.
    Welcome to being on 2. Now you know why we ***** about cagers all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mimico_polak View Post
    I've not been riding too long, but typically if a car is about to cut me off I can see it coming so I back off to not even let him get close. You need to learn to read the traffic flow and anticipate it before it happens.
    90% of the time I can predict it just by watching the vehicles behind me. Once a month it happens as a total surprise. But look at it this way:

Driver: Surounded by metal and plastic designed to take an impact and air bags to cushon that impact.
    Rider: Sitting on a rocket wrapped in leather ment to protect against sliding along the pavement. No air bag no metal or plastic.

Driver: controlling a 1 ton (min) vehicle
    Rider: controlling a 600lb rocket.

Hmmmm and who did you think was going to win?

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    Get out of their blind spot..

+1000000000000000000000000000
    Best case. Go slightly faster or slower than the vehicles around you but not excessively so that you become a hazard (cars are having to break to not rear end you or get angry following you) or a shock to them. Specially to the people who do look and switch lanes but end up cutting off the biker who just jumped into that lane two seconds ago going 50km/h faster than everyone else. And of course its the cagers fault even though he looked right?

We know this **** happens. Ride like you know your going to get cut off. Theres no excuse to be surprised imo.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

I don't know if its been said here already but there is lots you can do to HELP avoid these situations, although you will never eliminate all risks.
    1. I see A LOT of riders cruising along in cars blind spots. Don't just worry about what's a head of you. If you have to keep a larger gap from yourself and the car ahead of you so your not in a cars blow nd spot do it.
    2. If you are riding along side a car ride right next to the drivers window and make eye contact.
    3. If you spidey sense is going off get ahead of the car next to you, don't ever give them an excuse to not see you as that is what they are going to tell the cops after they run you down.

4. Practice emergency braking whenever you can, it might save your life one day.
    This is my signature

Quote Originally Posted by Sushii View Post
    I've only been cut off twice in my riding career. Your doing something wrong.
    why you always setting yourself up to get made fun of....
    So you've only been cut off twice, yet you've crashed a handful of times...LOL

Ride like Russian R1.

Typical of TO but too many drivers have their side mirrors facing backward. That is they are seeing pretty much the same view in all mirrors. If you cannot see their face/eyes in the side view mirror know that you are invisible to them, either pass them or back off.
    I have been forced to hug the dotted line in traffic a lot more as its the only way to have me appear in their mirrors. I do this as I approach the car and I keep an eye on their hands and the view in their mirrors movements can telegraph intentions and give you a heads up.
    Ignorance is heading off without knowing the dangers involved.
    Stupidity is trying something without knowing what the chance of death is.
    Bravery is going into something knowing if you die its your own fault.
    Adventure is a self determined mix of all three of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom01 View Post
    I don't know if its been said here already but there is lots you can do to HELP avoid these situations, although you will never eliminate all risks.
    1. I see A LOT of riders cruising along in cars blind spots. Don't just worry about what's a head of you. If you have to keep a larger gap from yourself and the car ahead of you so your not in a cars blow nd spot do it.
    2. If you are riding along side a car ride right next to the drivers window and make eye contact.
    3. If you spidey sense is going off get ahead of the car next to you, don't ever give them an excuse to not see you as that is what they are going to tell the cops after they run you down.

4. Practice emergency braking whenever you can, it might save your life one day.
    This is my signature
    Thanks, will that in mind

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    Were you passing them on the right?
    Yup, i think that was the case 2 times, others made a turn directly from the middle to the DVP north on Eglinton. The left lane seems to be the safest.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    The left lane seems to be the safest.
    Not as a rule it isn't. Depends on your surroundings, just pay attention and make sure you are seen above anything else. My experience is that drivers are usually pretty great around bikes, they give us a lot of room... as long as they see us.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
    why you always setting yourself up to get made fun of....
    So you've only been cut off twice, yet you've crashed a handful of times...LOL
    So far the scores 2-2.

2 is a couple not a handful , your giving me too much credit.

Driving is almost a lost art in Toronto, you can see that by the increasing number of banged up cars running around and the lack of concern drivers have. Good advice given in previous posts, pay attention so you see it coming, and relax and let it go when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by NealT View Post
    Typical of TO but too many drivers have their side mirrors facing backward. That is they are seeing pretty much the same view in all mirrors. If you cannot see their face/eyes in the side view mirror know that you are invisible to them, either pass them or back off. .
    very important.. especially trucks/vans.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
    yet you've crashed a handful of times...LOL
    Probably his mad braking skillz....

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    very important.. especially trucks/vans.

Some don't care though. I locked eyes with a woman who pulled up beside me and while maintaining eye contact she completely shoved me out of my line.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Some don't care though. I locked eyes with a woman who pulled up beside me and while maintaining eye contact she completely shoved me out of my line.
    You had it coming.
    It's understanding that makes it possible for a person such as myself to tolerate a person like you.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDogDarren View Post
    You had it coming.

Wow.... douchy response.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Had the same thing happened to me at traffic lights, so I backed off. I very politely pulled up next to her and said that she could have killed me. She replied,"Young man you where in my way" The best thing i could do was laugh at her stupidity. Calling me a young man gave her points. Nothing you can do with stupid people except laugh.

work on riding in the least amount of blind spots possible. don't put yourself in those positions.

2007 Lotus Exige S ~ the grocery-getter
    2004 ZX6R ~ the daily commuter (sold)
    2005 GSXR 1000 ~ the scary thing in my garage (sold to my insurer lol)
    2007 GSXR 1000 ~ the newer scary thing in my garage

Wow.... douchy response.
    Wow, someone who doesn't understand sarcastic humour.

ie. How would I even know the situation to make an informed opinion? C'mon girl, lighten up, it's the internet.
    It's understanding that makes it possible for a person such as myself to tolerate a person like you.

Quote Originally Posted by cycling View Post
    Had the same thing happened to me at traffic lights, so I backed off. I very politely pulled up next to her and said that she could have killed me. She replied,"Young man you where in my way" The best thing i could do was laugh at her stupidity. Calling me a young man gave her points. Nothing you can do with stupid people except laugh.
    very similar situation, but on the highway, - the lady decided to change 2 lanes at once, and stepped the gas!
    she saw me, but kept moving - I was just a bug compared to her big SUV