94 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 troubles

Thread: 94 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 troubles

94 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 troubles

Hello riders,

So I have a 94 kawasaki Vulcan VN 750. I seem to be having battery or electrical issues. I am new to bikes, and trying to figure out what I can from the manual and online sources, but I am a bit confused.

I gave my battery a charge since I had left the key on and stalled a bunch of times learning how to get started. I went out on a tour for a few hours and stalled it a few times. At most 7 times over the course of 3 hours. It got a bit chilly so i pulled over, killed the engine and put on a sweater. I left the key on and the bike would not start anymore. She turned over a couple times but would not run. I am thinking that a few stalls and 5 minutes of sitting should not kill a battery. I was able to bump start it, then she died at again about 30 minutes down the road. I bump started again and then I lost all engine power, the engine started making a huffing sound, power came back momentarily then completely died. Would not turn over, not even the clicking sound when there is not enough power.

I tossed it on the trailer and got it home. I gave the battery 24hrs of slow trickle charge at 2amps. She starts fine, there is plenty of oil.

I tried starting the bike and disconnecting the Positive from the battery to see if the Stater or Rectfier/regulator (my dad says magneto? I have never heard of such a thing) is keeping the bike running, and the engine dies immediately. I am not sure if this even works on a bike as it does on cars.

Now I did foolishly add a small bottle of Fuel injector and carb cleaner to my full tank of gas, but of course those are designed for a full tank of gas on a car. I do not know if this would be a factor at all.

The plugs have threaded caps but I know that is not completely uncommon on bikes.

Previous owner says the battery was new at the end of last season and it certainly looks new in terms of dirt build up and such. I am concerned there may be a wiring issue, or the battery may be no good, but I am leaning towards a bad stater or rectifier/regulator.

The Idle is also really low. There is a knob on the left of the bike beside the fuel switch, Turning it does seem to affect the idle, but not nearly enough. She does not like to sit and run at all. This could be a completely separate issue.

Any expert opinions out there?
    '94 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
    www.underworldlarp.ca

You have to simplify this process - you are looking at way too many problems.

Sounds to me like it's not running right coupled with a electrical issue.

So I would start slow and figure out the following things......

1. Is it charging at idle and at 2k and 4k? What do those figures look like?

2. How old are the plugs ? How clean and adjusted are the carbs?

3. Is the fuel flowing at a good rate? There will be a flow per min test in the manual.

I would start with the basics first. Charging system first then get it running properly.

If you need help pm me .

Re: 94 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 troubles

I feel for you. Vulcan 750, worst bike I've ever owned.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40