Nail in a rear tire

Thread: Nail in a rear tire

Angry Nail in a rear tire

Got somewhere. dammit! I have only 2000k on those tires

Is that reparable? I think it is sitting there already for a while, cause the head of the nail is kinda polished already... Well, I ride now, but have to fix it somehow...

appreciate any comments.

Re: Nail in a rear tire

I had the same problem with my last tires and I plugged it and it went strong for another 7,000 kms.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

depends on the bike/riding, personally I would throw it out regardless, not worth any risk IMO, especially if your agressive on the throttle. Not saying a plug wouldn't do the trick, but piece of mind is worth something to, I wouldn't want to be at lean knowing the tire isn't 100%. I see this as downside risk vs. upside value equation.

I'm sure others will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    I had the same problem with my last tires and I plugged it and it went strong for another 7,000 kms.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by smergy View Post
    depends on the bike/riding, personally I would throw it out regardless, not worth any risk IMO, especially if your agressive on the throttle. Not saying a plug wouldn't do the trick, but piece of mind is worth something to, I wouldn't want to be at lean knowing the tire isn't 100%. I see this as downside risk vs. upside value equation.

I'm sure others will disagree.
    Buy a brand new tire because your new tire got a nail in it, then get a nail in that 2nd new tire less than 2 weeks later, and report back on the economics/safety of plugging tires. I've taken rears down the the wear bars plugged, no probs. And I'm not talking about using the crappy tar string nonsense, proper mushroom plugs.

Had the same last year with a lot less mileage on the tire. Just bring it to a good shop to have a proper mushroom plug installed, as already mentioned. There won't be an issue.

Where there is an issue is that you're still riding the bike! There's nothing stopping it from beginning to leak around the nail while your riding or worse, the nail coming right out. Centrifugal force itself could eject it while you're riding.

Quote Originally Posted by slogan View Post
    Got somewhere. dammit! I have only 2000k on those tires

Is that reparable? I think it is sitting there already for a while, cause the head of the nail is kinda polished already... Well, I ride now, but have to fix it somehow...

appreciate any comments.

Get it fixed properly. A plug will get you home but it's best to know how big the object in the tire is. If it's long it could be scraping around inside destroying the cords.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Winston Churchill

Heres a video on how to fix it yourself..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3owqAris8

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    Heres a video on how to fix it yourself..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3owqAris8
    As the title of the video states, it's a TEMPORARY fix... although much better than the common sticky plugs.

What you're looking for is plug/patch combination like this;

This plug is installed from inside the tire after the inner surface has been scored and an adhesive applied which then looks like this from the inside when installed;

These images came from http://ajayananth.wordpress.com/tag/...-a-motorcycle/ which explains it well and has HUGE pictures although I just noticed that it doesn't mention the adhesive / cement which bonds the patch portion to the tire... very important part of the process.
    Last edited by coyo; 04-19-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Fixed.

Just got to Ted @ Rosey Toes Motorcycles Inc.
    @ seconds and I smile again! (it took much longer time to get some cash out of a bank)

Fixed.

@ seconds and I smile again! (it took much longer time to get some cash out of a bank)

What kind of patch did you get,? An internal mushroom or an outside plug?

I believe that's internal mushroom. It's still being installed from outside, is it?

Nail in a rear tire

If it only took seconds, it's an external plug. The patch/plug requires the tire to come off the wheel to prep and install from the inside.

Personally I wouldn't be happy with the external plug fix.

I believe that's internal mushroom. It's still being installed from outside, is it?
    2008 SuperDuke (current)
    2003 WR450F / SM (current)
    2005 DRZ400SM
    2003 XR50R (current, son's)
    1997 TL1000S
    1999 SV650S
    1985 GS750EF
    1983 GPz750
    1982 Nighthawk 650

Thumbs up Re: Nail in a rear tire

Fixed.

Last season got my rear tire plugged there, this spring new ones mounted at Ted's...will go there again for sure...

I put Tire Slime in mine, pulled the nail out, and drove for another 12,000km's on it and never had any issues! Worked flawless. I got another nail in it around the 7,000km mark and I didn't know, but my buddie said "hey you got a nail in it" so I grabbed the pliers out of my bikes tool kit and pulled it out right on the spot while he screamed NOOOO DON'T DO IT! lol. A little green slime oozed out, done.

I put about 2/3 of the $10 bottle in my rear: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post

I put about 2/3 of the $10 bottle in my rear

-Jamie M.
    I sure hope you used a lot of lube....
    Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

i had Ted plug a friends tire 2 seasons ago. He told me he always does it from the inside out.
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

I always have a repair kit (plugs) and tire pump under the passenger seat - never had an issue fixing my own tires and they've held up fine.
    2008 CBR125R
    1986 GS750EF
    1976 RD400 - 1st bike, long gone

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    I put Tire Slime in mine, pulled the nail out, and drove for another 12,000km's on it and never had any issues! Worked flawless. I got another nail in it around the 7,000km mark and I didn't know, but my buddie said "hey you got a nail in it" so I grabbed the pliers out of my bikes tool kit and pulled it out right on the spot while he screamed NOOOO DON'T DO IT! lol. A little green slime oozed out, done.

I put about 2/3 of the $10 bottle in my rear: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

-Jamie M.
    I use tire slime in my work trucks they seem to get 1 nail per month or so and no issues so far just pull it out and drive on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    I use tire slime in my work trucks they seem to get 1 nail per month or so and no issues so far just pull it out and drive on.
    Yeah, I was doubtful how well it'd work in a sportbike tire, especially because the carcass is totally curved! But worked no problem, even had it up to 265kph 2up. Never ever lost even 1lb of air

My tire changing guy hates it when I come in for tire changes, but he only charges an extra $20

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...