Trucks turning into other lanes - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trucks turning into other lanes

Re: Trucks turning into other lanes

Quote Originally Posted by casacrow View Post
    I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I have made that right turn a few hundred times in a tractor trailer. I used to always turn right, by travelling from center lane to center lane. Now I always turn right from the right lane to the right lane. I would love to explain myself!
    I'm genuinely happy you found this thread, cause I'm interested to hear the perspective from a Truck driver that frequents this intersection.

I have noticed that smaller vehicles tend to be in more of a hurry at this exit ramp/right turn than most in the GTA.
    Agreed! ...and as someone who works in Emergency Services in the Peel Region, I know this first hand.

As I said, I used to always make that right hand turn, from center lane to center lane. I have seen some pretty crazy moves by vehicles there, and can remember three in particular.

I was in the center lane, intending on turning right, into the center lane. Traffic was slowing, as the light had just turned red. I had several vehicles in front of me, also stopping for the light. I had two cars, accelerate past me in the left lane, then had both cut in front of me, into my lane at the stop. I was running a heavy B-Train that day... I had enough room to stop, but was less than comfortable with the situation. The two cars made a right hand turn when the light turned green. I guess they really just didn't want to be behind me.

Another time I was approaching the same intersection. I was in the center lane, intending on turning right, into the center lane, and was coming to a stop. Traffic was real light. There were no vehicles in front. There was a car approaching the stoplight, in the left lane, coming up my left side. Just right before the lights(red at the time), the car cut in front of me, and shot straight across to the far right lane. I thought they were done....there was a pick up truck approaching the stoplight on my right in the right lane, and it almost hit the car. It was real damn close.
    Those 2 examples have no bearing on a Tractor Trailer being in the middle lane wanting to go right. It's just bad drivers driving badly. The first example can easily happen while you are in the right most lane.

And the third thing has happened plenty of times. When turning right, from center lane to center lane, you will have to nose into the far left lane, to keep your trailer from entering the far right lane. This causes no problems with left lane eastbound traffic as there is none when making a right on a green light. But, what happens almost every time, when there is a lot of traffic, is that the cars in the far right lane will split and enter both the right lane and center lane. I don't know if it is a lack of patience, or the vehicles assuming that I will be turning from center lane to left lane, but it forces me to stay left and pull my trailer over to avoid contact with the vehicles. This forces me to make an illegal turn, to avoid those behind me making an illegal turn.
    This is a very tricky situation, and I sympathize....and discussing it with you is difficult because you are saying that you can make the right turn from the right lane without blocking the centre lane. That's amazing, as I have yet to see a truck do this. They always cut into the centre lane....and in some instances their front bumper even dip into the left most lane.

If a truck driver can make the right turn from the right lane without cutting into another live lane, then my point is moot. but unfortunate, from my experiences, you are a minority in truck driving skill. Just as I am a minority of motorists who stay in their appropriate lane when making a turn.

One thing that I do notice though, is vehicles turning right, from center lane to center lane, often cut into my right lane when making the their turn. Instead of travelling in a nice constant radius, often they cut across at a 45 entering my right lane....
    I think this is more of a problem with motorists today and their lack of skill, rather than this intersection in general. But I agree 100%, as I have seen it in my car/bike when turning and people come into your lane. The fact that people do it with a HUGE truck in the other lane is just ridiculous.

just curious original poster..... did the truck actually enter your lane? It is possible you cut the corner and entered his lane? Was everyone in their correct lanes and things just seemed close? I don't doubt that a truck could have entered your lane, not all truck drivers make the best decisions all the time.
    As I mentioned in my original post, I am very aware of the trucks going wide from the right lane so I am very mindful to stay out of their way. I am also very adamant on staying in my own lane when I turn and when I am turning right from the center lane I am sure to go quite wide. (even my drawing in the first post shows the "lines" that I think should be taken.

The last time this occurred the truck was very much in my lane, and I had even gone a bit wide into the left most lane as I saw that he was moving quite quickly and with no intention on slowing. That truck was in quite a hurry (as i find alot of them are) and he quickly overtook me on Queen and the last I saw him he was still going Eastbound on Queen past Bramalea rd at a good trot.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnder View Post
    In Aus the trucks have signs reading "Do not overtake turning vehicle". That means on either side of it. Makes the trucks life a LOT easier and makes it safer for everyone around them. When learning to drive, instructors teach not to get near a truck once it indicates to turn at an intersection. The cops hand out hefty fines if you dont obey the signs too.
    Sounds like the Aussies have the right idea. Though many other places in the world have better driving lessons, practices and laws then in North America.

If the law (in regards to the trucks) were to change tomorrow to be the same as it was in Australia, I would be satisfied and would drive accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post

Getting back to the OP's original question, I think that he should try to be more patient, and wait for a clear opportunity to pass the truck on the straight.
    Baggy, you're msising the point. It's not about overtaking trucks...it's about a truck T-boning the side of your vehicle when you are clearly infront of it.

You post pictures of cars being crushed on the right side of the truck, but no one is arguing you shouldn't cut inside the turning radius of a tractor trailer. This is about trucks nosing their cabs into a live lane and potentially causing an accident.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I don't think right turns should be allowed on a red from the middle lane IMO.
    I agree.

I thought it was illegal for years until I actually dug into the HTA looking for it. I'll bet there have been some tickets for it too, but only after it results in a collision.
    --
    Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I agree.

I thought it was illegal for years until I actually dug into the HTA looking for it. I'll bet there have been some tickets for it too, but only after it results in a collision.
    I've always wondered if it was. It's actually allowed?!
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    I've always wondered if it was. It's actually allowed?!
    It's not DISallowed.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde