Trucks turning into other lanes

Thread: Trucks turning into other lanes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Trucks turning into other lanes

I see the same situation at 400 north to highway 7 and 401 west to dixie, difference being there are 4 lanes, 2 per turn. I avoid being beside anything while turning with the expectation that most are going to mess it up.

Even when the ramps are paved with huge curves the trucks seem to take the lazy way, and trucks starting from the second right turn lane often end up in the third lane, even when they want to end up in the middle.

I bet some of these truckers are sticking to the middle of the lane instead of properly preparing for the turn because they know that if they are on the left line of such a wide lane some dingleberry is going to pretend there is another lane there and squeeze by them. Switching to no-right-on-red could help if that is the case.

Many people seem to be pretty horrible at planning ahead for what lane they want to be in for the next turn, in some american cities, you will find that the next interchange is signed one ramp in advance and they switch to solid lines between them, nice in theory but doesn't stop people from being in the wrong lane.
    --
    Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive.

Just go wide into the wrong lane, it's alot better than getting into an argument with a transport, you won't win. I always watch what they do and drive around them wether their right or not doesnt matter, you can't argue if your dead.

Is this a busy intersection for trucks? Would there be enough room to have a heavy flow of trucks stay in one lane?

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    Just go wide into the wrong lane, it's alot better than getting into an argument with a transport, you won't win. I always watch what they do and drive around them wether their right or not doesnt matter, you can't argue if your dead.

Is this a busy intersection for trucks? Would there be enough room to have a heavy flow of trucks stay in one lane?
    At the stated intersection, and at the 410 & Steeles ramp, I frequently see transports making turns from the right curb lane to the extreme left lane, giving people turning from the centre lane nowhere to go. at Steeles this is because some truckers want to go north on Tomken, from Steeles, and choose the wrong lane on the ramp.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    At the stated intersection, and at the 410 & Steeles ramp, I frequently see transports making turns from the right curb lane to the extreme left lane, giving people turning from the centre lane nowhere to go. at Steeles this is because some truckers want to go north on Tomken, from Steeles, and choose the wrong lane on the ramp.
    Yeah, Steeles is bad too.

....and good point. The trucks turning wide usually end up stopping the other right turning vehicles dead in their tracks.
    Quite dangerous
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Good suggestion about the sign. I agree whole heartedly. It would probably have to be one of those big arch signs that go over the road.

In the meantime, since you're aware of it, just avoid the middle lane when you see a truck to the right and inform other drivers of the potential hazard (like you're doing now).

Taking into account everyone's replies, I still think tricks are in the wrong turning from the right most lane.

If the use the middle lane the have a whole extra lane on the left to swing wide into, rather than cut off 2 lanes of traffic.

Also, another benefit of the trucks using the middle lane is a better flow of traffic turning right. The right lane can sometimes backup onto the regular lanes of the 410.

I hear what Turbodish is saying but I'm surprised at his stance on this. If I'm making a turn in my car from the middle lane and a truck goes wide into my lane and crushes my car, the trucker is at fault. So the trucker is in the wrong going wide into a live lane of traffic being used my other motorists.
    If someone were to cut INSIDE the trucks turning radius, it's the other motorists fault hence the warnings on the back of the trailers.
    A truck driver shouldn't just do as they please and endanger motorists to prevent something that "may" happen.

The point that was made that a truck might want to make the immediate right into the plaza is valid, and I can understand that reasoning. But they could always take Clark Blvd.

I can't speak for every time this has happend, but I can say the 2 trucks that did this this morning were with me all the way up to Queen/Bramalea rd.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

it can't hurt to ask =D
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.