The state of Hip Hop

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The state of Hip Hop

The state of Hip Hop

Does anybody feel like all the MC's who were really made an impact on hip hop are long gone? Or is it just a generational thing where lovers of what's now "old school" just don't have the ears for newer rappers to come onto the scene. Or is it that most of what tries to masquerade as hip hop these days doesn't have any subject or substance to it?

Has hip hop lost its soul? Lots of rappers out there, it seems that MC's are becoming an endangered species. Has it gotten too popular and corporate to be even considered "from the street" anymore. Everyone is rappin to make a new dance and no one is tryin to even enhance your mind anymore. Ringtones make more money than albums. Remember when flow 93.5 first came out? Remember when they used to have the demo battles for up-and-comers in the game? Not no more, that used to be the best part of their programming in my opinion. Freestyle Fridays 106 and Park(is that even still on?) Does it always end up being about the money? Was Nas right, is hip hop really dead?
    2007 ZZR600
    Custom fairings from Nicecycle.com
    Custom projector/halo headlamps from xdcycle.com
    Yoshimura RS-3C Bolt-On Exhaust
    Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tire
    ...peace and love...

Re: The state of Hip Hop

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWyshbone View Post
    Does anybody feel like all the MC's who were really made an impact on hip hop are long gone? Or is it just a generational thing where lovers of what's now "old school" just don't have the ears for newer rappers to come onto the scene. Or is it that most of what tries to masquerade as hip hop these days doesn't have any subject or substance to it?

Has hip hop lost its soul? Lots of rappers out there, it seems that MC's are becoming an endangered species. Has it gotten too popular and corporate to be even considered "from the street" anymore. Everyone is rappin to make a new dance and no one is tryin to even enhance your mind anymore. Ringtones make more money than albums. Remember when flow 93.5 first came out? Remember when they used to have the demo battles for up-and-comers in the game? Not no more, that used to be the best part of their programming in my opinion. Freestyle Fridays 106 and Park(is that even still on?) Does it always end up being about the money? Was Nas right, is hip hop really dead?
    I think this happened 20 years ago..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Hip Hop died years ago... All this new garbage is called Hip Pop.
    Souja boy, waka flaka, and all that other crap that's out now is brutal. I don't even listen to the radio anymore
    Matte White 06 CBR1000RR
    ~Full Ti Termignoni Exhaust/Custom Carbon Ti Muffler ~PCIII ~Flapper Mod ~BMC Race Filters ~AFAM -1/+1 ~Gilles Tooling VCR Rearsets ~Gilles Tooling X-Treme Levers Short ~SpeedoHealer ~Spiegler SS Lines ~GSG Rear Brake Res ~FP Racing Caliper Relocator Bracket ~Galfer Wave Rotor ~Pro Series C/F Swingarm Protectors ~CleverWolf C/F Tank Guard ~CRG Bar end Mirror ~8000K HID ~Powder Coated Wheels ~Hotbodies Smoked Flushmounts ~CA Smoked Integrated TailLight ~Smoked Windscreen

It is out of style now. That's all. Rap is gone (for now)
    Haven't you noticed the "new music" sounds like 80's pop all over again?
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Kinda like Omni said... music has to have an audience.

Where does Hip Hop fit in this generation of trend sucking limp wrists?

The problem isn't hip hop, there's so much great hip hop out there; it's just not main stream.

You have to really dig for the artists that have a message. I'll name a few and you can check them out.

People Under The Stairs (very old school vibe, check out the song California -- it's a new take on Tupac and Dre's track)
    CunninLynguists (very chill, laid back hip hop, one of my favourite groups)
    Tonedeff
    Tech N9ne
    Atmosphere
    Classified (He's Canadian! Writes and produces everything on his own)
    B.o.B
    Common (Doing a collabo album with Nas called Nas.Com)
    Immortal Technique (probably the most hip hop artist out now and a lot of his music is free)
    Talid Kweli
    Childish Gambino (amazing lyricist)
    K'Naan (very positive artist - Canadian too!)
    Nas (still very hip hop! Recently did an album with Damien Marley called Distant Relatives)
    9th Wonder (he's a producer but this latest album is reminiscent of old school hip hop)
    Fort Minor
    Ice Cube (still has very gangster hard core albums coming out)
    Hilltop Hoods (Aussie band, very unique sound)
    Chali 2na (From Jurassic 5 - probably has the most unique voice ever)

That should get you started
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

There are still lots of high quality emcees out there and plenty of quality hip hop made.... Just don't expect to hear it on mainstream radio or see it on TV (as if they even play music videos on TV anymore).

Lots of artists that made an impact are still doing their thing... I mean De La Soul (minus Maseo) just put out another album - First Serve. Common put out an album, The Roots put out an album not long ago, Pete Rock & Smif n Wessun put out an album not long ago. Ghostface is still doing it. Raekwon's got a label and signed Toronto's own JD Era. The list can go on and on. A lot of the producers that painted the beatscape of the 90's are still producing. Guys like Pete Rock, DJ Premier, Diamond D, Large Professor, Pycho LES etc...

You have lots of quality music from J-Live, 9th Wonder, Nottz, MED, Elzhi, Kev Brown, Blu etc etc... Lots of great stuff out there. Even look locally - Did you get that New North album featurng some of Toronto's finest?

I think the problem is not that good hip hop no longer exists, it's just that pop culture is so in your face that maybe its hard to see past it.

To a degree, it is a generational thing... That late 80's, early 90's golden era sound is what I will always go back to but there have been some great artists to come out since then, you just got to look for it and understand that the music has evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by jay-d View Post
    Ice Cube (still has very gangster hard core albums coming out)
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    hahah nice...you are right about the money and greed but look at Nas and my favorite DMX he is mainstream and still stayed true to the streets imo...

The problem isn't hip hop, there's so much great hip hop out there; it's just not main stream.
    This +1.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    You must have missed the part where I said albums, not movies.

He even said it himself that there's so much money in movies, especially family movies that it's all about the money but his music? My god, he still the same crazy Ice Cube from NWA.

I'm confused.

Does this thread like Drake?
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    I'm confused.

Does this thread like Drake?
    Hell no! He sucks.

Hip hop used to be about a message. (good or bad) The best messengers have been killed or died (somehow).. the only ones left cared less about the message and more about the money, so the tune of all their music changed.. It stopped being about real events or events that the masses can relate to and became a bragging contest on who got more money (through album sales) which no one who isn't in the music industry can relate to. Who the hell wants to watch a guy on T.V telling you repeatedly that you have no money, and you will never be as rich as me, you can't buy these $400 bottles of alcohol to pour on a hot women. No body.. except maybe kids who actually think that kind of crap is worth something. He is using the money he gets from his fans, to make fun of them in one way or another. That does not make for good music.

Yeah I miss the old 93.5 as well.. even CIUT 89.5 used to put out a sick show from 12-5am.. which just vanished. I don't even bother with CDQ releases anymore.. I just stick to the mixtape circuit and hear whatever they are going to release months before mainstream **** is released.

I like this track right now..

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."

You must have missed the part where I said albums, not movies.

He even said it himself that there's so much money in movies, especially family movies that it's all about the money but his music? My god, he still the same crazy Ice Cube from NWA.
    A lot happens in 20 years so I don't think today's Ice Cube is the same man as the Ice Cube from 20+ years ago. Just like most of us aren't the same people we were 20 years ago, you learn, you experience and you mature. He's a successful guy and far removed from any kind of rough environment that makes one "hard". Can he still write lyrics and rap? Yeah sure I guess, but he really can't sell "gangsta" anymore so trying to put on a hard persona when he does kiddie comedies just aint workin..

Quote Originally Posted by IRONLUNG View Post
    Yeah I miss the old 93.5 as well.. even CIUT 89.5 used to put out a sick show from 12-5am.. which just vanished. I don't even bother with CDQ releases anymore.. I just stick to the mixtape circuit and hear whatever they are going to release months before mainstream **** is released.
    I like this track right now..
    There are still quality hip hop shows on 89.5 and there are a bunch on 105.5. RIP 88.1.

I haven't listened to the radio in what seems like ages. All the new rappers are garbage and only sing what they're told to in order to sell albums. No one cares about the art and that's why hip hop isn't what it used to be.

All I have on my computer/iPod are "old school" tracks and underground hip hop.
    Someone already mentioned a good bunch, Immortal Technique, Ransom, Styles ****ing P (LOX), Big L, Biggie, Tupac, Big Pun, *old* Jay-Z, Nas, Cormega, Common, Talib Kweli, Wu-Tang, KRS-One, etc...

BTW, Hip Hop ain't dead, it lives in the North!
    A lot of Toronto hip hop freestyle/beatbox battles!!!
    I've been on a binge lately, check out the Dizaster VS DNA battle!
    Last edited by 2live&ride; 04-19-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Mina

Classic.
    Mina

One of my favorite Nas classics, the beat is just ****ing sick... Too bad they don't make 'em like this anymore!
    Mina

This thread makes me feel old..

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."