Parking on sidewalks!?!?!? Wtf - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parking on sidewalks!?!?!? Wtf

Re: Parking on sidewalks!?!?!? Wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    If it's a motor vehicle, then it isn't legal to park it on the sidewalk or on the "boulevard." Engine size is immaterial. Generally speaking it'll be scooter riders, who you'll hear spouting that nonsense.
    I have a 125 and used to park downtown on the sidewalk near my work. There were probably 4 or 5 motocycles & scooters that parked along the stretch of sidewalk. I never had a problem, but last summer the security guard came up to me and said "Parking enforcement is starting to clamp down on motorcycles parking on the sidewalk. The parking enforcement guy told me anything 100cc or over will get a ticket. I don't mind if you park here but wanted to give you a warning as you are 125 lol"
    Last edited by w0SS; 04-19-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    2008 CBR125

I just remember having to pay for parking for a motorbike in the city. I would buy a ticket from the machine and put it under the strap on my seat (nobody ever stole the parking stub). But now for the past bunch of years, we have it free to park and still it's not good enough for some who feel the need to park on a side walk. My only point is that I see enough things written about folks getting grumpy about motorbikes on the sidewalk. I think at some point the city will revert back to the old system where motorcycles had to pay. And then we'll all be upset about having to pay. You don't know know how good you have had it, until it's gone. not trying to bash anyone, just wanted to make people aware. There are a lot of new riders around Toronto in the last ten years or so and I guess they may not have known that we used to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by digabel View Post
    I just remember having to pay for parking for a motorbike in the city. I would buy a ticket from the machine and put it under the strap on my seat (nobody ever stole the parking stub). But now for the past bunch of years, we have it free to park and still it's not good enough for some who feel the need to park on a side walk. My only point is that I see enough things written about folks getting grumpy about motorbikes on the sidewalk. I think at some point the city will revert back to the old system where motorcycles had to pay. And then we'll all be upset about having to pay. You don't know know how good you have had it, until it's gone. not trying to bash anyone, just wanted to make people aware. There are a lot of new riders around Toronto in the last ten years or so and I guess they may not have known that we used to pay.
    and it will go back to that way with paid parking soon for EVEYONE including scooters .

See this sticky:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...orcycles-today

Love the sidewalk, favourite place to park!!

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

I was about to post a thread like this yesterday after a quick zip through the financial district...tons of BIG scooters up on the sidewalk, ticketless these days! Personally I love it, and will be popping the curb more myself!

In 3 years my bike has been knocked over by parking cars 3 times! Once within 2 weeks of buying it and 2 more this year alone. Once the car took off, but at least put it back on two wheels. Caused nearly $400 damage though. Once I walked just as the ****** was getting out of their car. Zip car rental....****** did nothing, didn't even care; zip car insurance based in Atlanta paid me lip service than just disappeared. And the last time I walked out of a building to see the bike flat and the kind lady had waited for me, to admit her guilt. She gave me $100 on the spot, luckily she just added damage to panels that were already damaged. She got off light, I was generous.

But with lax sidewalk enforcement, you can bet I'll be poppin' curbs.

If it's not in the way of pedestrians or cars, get over it, live your life and stop being so bitter. Half you guys are suburban posers who have never been outside of Canada and the States anyways.

Long live 2 wheels!

Sidewalk parking is awesome. Pull up right to where you want to go and park. Very convenient when I lived in Korea and traveled to other countries. Unfortunately, I don't have that option here.

I don't understand why people get upset about things just because they're illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
    Sidewalk parking is awesome. Pull up right to where you want to go and park. Very convenient when I lived in Korea and traveled to other countries. Unfortunately, I don't have that option here.

I don't understand why people get upset about things just because they're illegal.
    And I'm quite certain that the people who get upset about it don't understand why you do things that are illegal, just because they're convenient for you.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

People get upset at things that are illegal here, because the laws were put in place to keep this country from becoming exactly like most of the countries people like awyala left to come here...laws like "you must park in the street and not on the sidewalk" are the most basic form of control that stops society from degrading into complete chaos.

Do you really think none of the people on this board have traveled the world and witnessed the insanity of parking in places like Rome or Itsanbul? Is that what we want for ourselves here? I don't.

If we allow even a few people to begin parking on the sidewalk, you have no idea what it can become in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiider View Post
    People get upset at things that are illegal here, because the laws were put in place to keep this country from becoming exactly like most of the countries people like awyala left to come here...laws like "you must park in the street and not on the sidewalk" are the most basic form of control that stops society from degrading into complete chaos.

Do you really think none of the people on this board have traveled the world and witnessed the insanity of parking in places like Rome or Itsanbul? Is that what we want for ourselves here? I don't.

If we allow even a few people to begin parking on the sidewalk, you have no idea what it can become in a few years.
    Kind of like the "one piece of trash" thing in New York.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I'm such a rebel that I park on the sidewalks at Heartland in Mississauga
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

Quote Originally Posted by awyala View Post
    I was about to post a thread like this yesterday after a quick zip through the financial district...tons of BIG scooters up on the sidewalk, ticketless these days! Personally I love it, and will be popping the curb more myself!

In 3 years my bike has been knocked over by parking cars 3 times! Once within 2 weeks of buying it and 2 more this year alone. Once the car took off, but at least put it back on two wheels. Caused nearly $400 damage though. Once I walked just as the ****** was getting out of their car. Zip car rental....****** did nothing, didn't even care; zip car insurance based in Atlanta paid me lip service than just disappeared. And the last time I walked out of a building to see the bike flat and the kind lady had waited for me, to admit her guilt. She gave me $100 on the spot, luckily she just added damage to panels that were already damaged. She got off light, I was generous.

If it's not in the way of pedestrians or cars, get over it, live your life and stop being so bitter. Half you guys are suburban posers who have never been outside of Canada and the States anyways.

Long live 2 wheels!
    I would have called the police on the guy in the zip car. btw - have you thought about the way you park your bike? Maybe being more particular on how you park would help you out.
    Note sure about your last comment???

Half you guys are suburban posers who have never been outside of Canada and the States anyways.
    So, you traveled?? what to "Europe"? whoopee do.
    Last edited by kiwi; 04-20-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
    Oh I see, you've accustomed to the "Me First", "not my problem" attitude of Nth America.

Damn, it had to be a Ducati....

Quote Originally Posted by awyala View Post

Long live 2 wheels!
    Be happy it only cost you that much, My bike was backed into and Honda quoted me $4,400 damage and all cosmetic. Thank god I had an alarm and it went off when the bike tipped over as the driver said he didn't see/feel hitting it and would have drove away if he didn't hear the alarm.

Since then I have no problem parking on a sidewalk if it doesn't impede pedestrian traffic and would gladly pay the $20 or so dollar ticket.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Be happy it only cost you that much, My bike was backed into and Honda quoted me $4,400 damage and all cosmetic. Thank god I had an alarm and it went off when the bike tipped over as the driver said he didn't see/feel hitting it and would have drove away if he didn't hear the alarm.

Since then I have no problem parking on a sidewalk if it doesn't impede pedestrian traffic and would gladly pay the $20 or so dollar ticket.
    $30.00.

If it becomes enough of an issue then you can expect the cashed strapped Civic government to quadruple it, just like they seem to have done with every other parking fine.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Reminds me of how, in Korea, I was dodging scooters, bikes, cars, even mini cube vans driving/parking on the sidewalk and where ever the hell they please. Europe (Poland) was much more civilized in regards to where vehicles could go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    $30.00.

If it becomes enough of an issue then you can expect the cashed strapped Civic government to quadruple it, just like they seem to have done with every other parking fine.
    I got $150 worth of tickets for parking on the pavement between the road and the sidewalk once. $50 for each day. They only left one on the bike so I paid it and then two more showed up in the mail. I wish they would've stuck all of them to the bike because I paid the first one but there was no way I was going to pay $150 for one parking offense so I ended up having to go to the office to "fight" the other two anyway. Wish I could've taken back my payment on the first one. The other two disappeared in the system as they always do.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Im on the sidewalk today

Last edited by SlayerofSouls; 04-20-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Exactly like the "one piece of trash" sociology!

People should read Malcolm Gladwell's piece on New York.
    http://www.gladwell.com/1996/1996_06_03_a_tipping.htm

Higher percentages of people there ride two wheels.

I'm also not advocating that we be allowed to sidewalk park here; I'm quite pleased that we've got free parking already. I'm just still trying to wrap my head around the attitude that it's such a bad thing. If the bike is tucked out of the way and muffler is facing the street, why worry about what someone else does?

Exactly like the "one piece of trash" sociology!

People should read Malcolm Gladwell's piece on New York.
    http://www.gladwell.com/1996/1996_06_03_a_tipping.htm
    Interesting article; I never thought of things like crime as something that would be epidemic.

I don't think we have enough motorcyclists to cause a tipping point for our sidewalks to fill up with bikes. But you never know; more people might buy bikes because they're allowed to park on the sidewalk.

As I was saying before though, I'm happy with free parking.