Removing paint

Thread: Removing paint

Removing paint

So I've got a piece of shiny metal here that has had paint sprayed on it nicely. The only problem is, because an adhesive promoter was not used, there's a bit of flaking going on. How do I remove that paint without abraising the underlying surface with sandpaper? I just want to get the paint off, do the adhesion promoter, and re-paint it. It will be fine if I can get that paint off the shiny bits easily.

Dip the parts in turpentine, maybe?

Advice?
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Re: Removing paint

Dot 4 brake fluid is a particularly good paint remover, especially when you wish it wasn't.

large part, small part? do you know what kind of paint is on the part? Shiney and adhesion fight each other.

Small part. A solid steel(?) frame slider puck. It's technically not "shiny", but a few stages before shiny -- like an almost abraised metallic surface type thing.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

I've heard that paint thinner works really well... I would try that first!
    Last edited by 2live&ride; 04-18-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    I've heard that pain thinner works really well... I would try that first!
    +1 Varsol or other thinner. VFR's brake fluid suggestion will probably work too.

Chemicals do seem like the best solution, I'll give that a try this weekend. Thanks.

One other option would be Langka's Blob Eliminator -- I keep a bottle around in case I botch a touch-up job on the bike or car. Essentially it will remove anything that isn't baked on by the factory, and since it doesn't affect the lustre of factory paint at all, I doubt it would do anything to a metal puck.
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

Where does one obtain this Blob Eliminator?

Two places I know of -- either directly from Langka (http://www.langka.com) or eShine carries it as well and is in Canada (http://www.eshine.ca)

I should also note it is 'time sensitive' -- the longer the paint has sat the harder it will be to remove (or may not come off at all). With that said, I did mess up on the car years ago and was able to take off the excess touch-up paint after about a week or so.
    Last edited by conundrum; 04-20-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by VFR.CBR View Post
    Dot 4 brake fluid is a particularly good paint remover, especially when you wish it wasn't.
    +1
    Ask me how I know, lol
    Resident Loudmouth