Montreal Area

Thread: Montreal Area

Montreal Area

For anyone who is familiar with the area, if I am coming into the area on 20, and wanting to go east on 20 after Montreal (towards Drummondville) , what is the quickest way through/around Montreal?
    Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Presentation1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	28181
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Re: Montreal Area

Just continue on 20/720 Autoroute, I've never found it that bad, especially during non-rush hours.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Easy way, keep following highway 20 through Pont Champlain, that's it. Rush hour or not, it's probably the fastest way.
    http://www.google.ca/maps?saddr=Auto...via=1&t=m&z=11

Google map says to through 20-540-40-25-20 link:
    http://www.google.ca/maps?saddr=Autoroute+20+E&daddr=Autoroute+20+E&hl= en&ll=45.408574,-73.719635&spn=0.368772,0.891953&sll=45.384948,-73.760147&sspn=0.368926,0.891953&geocode=FVyAswId4 LCU-w%3BFQ6StwIdLZKh-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=11&t=m&z=11

Or wait until highway 30 from the 20 near Ontario border to Sorel is done
    Hercule CC130 J Support our troop by air

Pilot without technician are just walker with cool jacket and sunglasse

RACING Because football, baseball, bowling and golf only require ONE BALL

Thanks for the info guys.

I am thinking of riding to Beaumont QC. for lunch. By my calc's, that should put me at 1612 kms return, starting at Major Mac and Woodbine. If I can do it in 24 hrs, then it's an IBA run. Now I just need to determine what the smallest bike I can do it on is.

Does anybody know if there are any good places to eat in Beaumont QC?
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

You could also bail off the highway at Valleyfield and take the south shore. Slower on average, but a good way to avoid Montreal traffic. It'll be nice once the new bridge is in!!
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

I used to live in Pointe Claire (a west island community) and would almost always use the 540/40 route onto the island from the west - even though my house was closer to the 20. The 20 is a pain due to the extra traffic lights that you encounter. I was through that area on the 20 last November and it had not changed since I lived there - I was wishing I took the 40 like I used to.

The route that vince492 shared (20-540-40-25-20) looks better than the 20/Pont Champlain route. Its been a while, but I've been stuck in traffic on that bridge more times that I care to remember. The suggestion is partly based on the fact that the 25 corsses south way past the downtown core. Take it with a grain of salt - I lived on the west island and neve actually used the 25 much.

Like Toronto, Montreal has it's time of day and construction issues. So if you time Montreal to be after dinner time, it's not too bad. But, regardless, I'd just plow through what ever you encounter. The alternatives may make for less stop and go but, don't save time.

Quote Originally Posted by iav8 View Post
    I used to live in Pointe Claire (a west island community) and would almost always use the 540/40 route onto the island from the west - even though my house was closer to the 20. The 20 is a pain due to the extra traffic lights that you encounter. I was through that area on the 20 last November and it had not changed since I lived there - I was wishing I took the 40 like I used to.
    I lived off Delmar for a decade, and the past 10 years we've been going to the Brome Fair during the Labour Day long weekend.

We drag the tent trailer with us, and try to avoid as much traffic as possible, hence bailing onto the south shore at Valleyfield.
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.