How do you know when to change your chain or sprockets?

Thread: How do you know when to change your chain or sprockets?

How do you know when to change your chain or sprockets?

I've heard pulling it from it's rear sprocket and if 1/2 tooth shows to change it....but what about bits of red? (I think it be rust...winter riding was bad idea? <__<).

And I have no idea about when to change sprockets; I ask this because I want to find out if my crap needs changing so I can order dem parts and bring them to Rosey Toes. Last thing I want is to go a few weeks w/o riding. Bike is 2006 GS500F @ @20,000km. As far as I know, chain and sprockets have never been changed and the last time I went to Rosey Toes (February) they didn't say anything about the chain or sprockets...but I never asked.

Re: How do you know when to change your chain or sprockets?

The proper method is to measure the distance between a fixed # of links...IIRC it's 10 and compare it to your manual. But the method you described is a good indicator. Usually it's said that when you change the chain you change the sprockets. However I've had a set of sprockets before and used 2 chains on it. The mileage of the chain wear for each was pretty close to what others indicated for the model with all changed. So, it's up to you. If however the sprockets looked hooked or broken/worn, you should/must change them. I've also had similar mileage between Xring and Oring chains.

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    I've heard pulling it from it's rear sprocket and if 1/2 tooth shows to change it....but what about bits of red? (I think it be rust...winter riding was bad idea? <__<).

And I have no idea about when to change sprockets; I ask this because I want to find out if my crap needs changing so I can order dem parts and bring them to Rosey Toes. Last thing I want is to go a few weeks w/o riding. Bike is 2006 GS500F @ @20,000km. As far as I know, chain and sprockets have never been changed and the last time I went to Rosey Toes (February) they didn't say anything about the chain or sprockets...but I never asked.
    My friend had that "red stuff" coming out of his chain, just started doing it one day, wasn't rust, I think it's the internal roller lube seeping past the o-rings. He cleaned the chain, re-lubed. Kept coming back. A few weeks later his chain snapped when he was on the highway.

If in doubt, replace it

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=602&page=1

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

ask...

20K might be a good interval if you haven't not kept your chain in good shape.

Usually OEM steel sprockets + religious maintenance = 50K + of life

Rust = BAD

You can measure links and refer to a chain guide chart to see how much your chain has stretch and if its still with in spec...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    My friend had that "red stuff" coming out of his chain, just started doing it one day, wasn't rust, I think it's the internal roller lube seeping past the o-rings. He cleaned the chain, re-lubed. Kept coming back. A few weeks later his chain snapped when he was on the highway.

If in doubt, replace it

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=602&page=1

-Jamie M.
    Son of a ***** =( That is kinda scary. Guess I'll call and order parts.

EDIT errr....I can't pull the chain off the sprocket to check lol
    Last edited by 油井緋色; 04-18-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Does anyone know if I have to buy a specific o-ring chain for a 2006 GS500F or can I just go to GPBikes or something and find a random colored o-ring chain I like? Or do I have to buy OEM =(

There is no need to use an OEM chain. There are plenty of aftermarket choices. The size has to match (probably a 520 on that bike, might be 428 )but they are standardized between brands. DO use a good-quality X-ring or O-ring chain, not a cheap non-o-ring or off-brand.

DID 520 ERV3 FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    There is no need to use an OEM chain. There are plenty of aftermarket choices. The size has to match (probably a 520 on that bike, might be 428 )but they are standardized between brands. DO use a good-quality X-ring or O-ring chain, not a cheap non-o-ring or off-brand.

DID 520 ERV3 FTW
    Ty, I was only asking cause I wanted to get a specific color...but then I realized screw it, just use whatever Ted has lol

Ty, I was only asking cause I wanted to get a specific color...but then I realized screw it, just use whatever Ted has lol
    If you're looking for bling then a dealer on here was selling a Supersprocks set of sprockets and a top level chain for a decent price. I got a gold chain and gold rear sprocket for ***** and giggles but there were other colours of sprockets available (chains were limited to gold or silver).

Does anyone know if I have to buy a specific o-ring chain for a 2006 GS500F or can I just go to GPBikes or something and find a random colored o-ring chain I like? Or do I have to buy OEM =(
    As long as you've got the right size chain and sprocket, it can be from any manufacturer (DID, Driven etc.) Do your research online before you buy. You can find some pretty good deals when you buy a chain and sprockets together. I've bought from motomummy.com a few times, they've been the best price I could find.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

What would be the result of using a worn sprocket? Slipping chain?

Quote Originally Posted by jc100 View Post
    If you're looking for bling then a dealer on here was selling a Supersprocks set of sprockets and a top level chain for a decent price. I got a gold chain and gold rear sprocket for ***** and giggles but there were other colours of sprockets available (chains were limited to gold or silver).
    Hey there, could I have that dealers name please, I'm interested as well.
    Ride it like you stole it.

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    What would be the result of using a worn sprocket? Slipping chain?
    Wears out your brand new chain prematurely.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar View Post
    Hey there, could I have that dealers name please, I'm interested as well.
    GP Spec http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-Sprocket-Kits

Great guy to deal with. These sprockets have aluminum centres and steel teeth for strength without the weight, plus they come in different colours.

Great thanks jc100. Gonna check it out.
    Ride it like you stole it.

When it falls off.
    Viva La Figa