wish I was this organized. I buy stuff for cash from stores they don't give me a receipt. I sent internet transfers for parts but don't print anything out because all it shows is I gave someone money. do you really need to keep track on every part on your bike?

I make stuff for my bikes, how do I prove that??

I sell a lot of parts from a lot of different bikes. all the bikes come from auction with irreparable titles. If I was to label every part it would take too much time and then my prices would be higher and I wouldn't sell anything. I have a box of bolts/spacers/nuts/clips/rubbers/brackets, I need to write a receipt for every little part I sell with VIN numbers on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
Figures that someone would swing the pendulum too far in the other direction.

Each vehicle gets a nice big yellow envelope with something identifying it (like the VIN) on the outside. That's the file for this vehicle. It exists as long as the vehicle exists (but is kept separately from the vehicle in case it catches fire, etc) and when the vehicle changes hands (i.e. you sell it) you give that file to the next owner. What they do with it from that point on is their problem. First thing that goes in that file is the paperwork from buying the vehicle. If you buy it at a dealer, it's the bill of sale. If you buy it used, it's a photocopy of the ownership and the UVIP and the sales agreement, which need not be typed or anything formal, but does need to identify the VIN, the identity of both the buyer and the seller, the date, the price, etc.

As things happen to the vehicle, a receipt gets shoved into that envelope for each thing that happens to it.

If you are buying something from Ebay etc, pay with a credit card and keep the receipt/statement and shove it in that envelope. Simple.

If you are buying from a physical store then keep the receipt/statement and shove it in the envelope. Equally simple.

If you get a maintenance service done at a dealer or shop then shove the receipt in that envelope.

If you buy something from an individual then write up a simple sales receipt. Need not be typed. Need not go overboard. DOES need to identify who that individual is and what the thing you are buying is, so that if a question comes up at some point in the future, there is a paper trail. Shove a copy of that into the envelope.

Common sense dictates that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is, and is best not touched. No paperwork = no deal, also.

"Due diligence". Understand the meaning of that term.