My convictions: When are they gone?

Thread: My convictions: When are they gone?

My convictions: When are they gone?

Just to be 100% sure....for when I talk to my ins company. When will these convictions be not considered when the insurance companies give me my renewel?

My 2 tickets:

09FEB10 for 72 in a 50 - Demerits (i forgot how many)
    24MAR10 for 85 in a 70 - No Demerits

^^ Those dates are the conviction dates and not the offence dates.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Re: My convictions: When are they gone?

3 years after and that first one is 3 points

Quote Originally Posted by awesm-o View Post
    3 years after and that first one is 3 points
    Ok. 3 points for the first one....and 3 years till that one is gone (so next year)

But 3 years for the 2nd one that had no points? I beleive you are incorrect.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    But 3 years for the 2nd one that had no points? I beleive you are incorrect.
    Nope, 3 years is right

It is 3 years from the conviction date that the offence is removed from your driver's abstract.
    The ministry is the only one who is concerned about demerit points for the most part, as too many points and you lose your licence.

Insurance is only concerned with the conviction of an offence and the severity of that offence. When the officer says I reduced the speed on the ticket so there are no demerit points..... it does not mean jack to your insurance company.
    It is the conviction of the offence that counts for insurance purposes. You were caught doing something that adds risk to you as the driver and changes your rating on the policy,
    Most companies may allow for a single ticket but after two tickets with or without points your premium is going to see a large increase until the 3 years expires.

**Not legal advice just prior experience.

I just posted this in a similar thread -- you may find it informative

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...=1#post1772828
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Kedo View Post

Insurance is only concerned with the conviction of an offence and the severity of that offence. When the officer says I reduced the speed on the ticket so there are no demerit points..... it does not mean jack to your insurance company.
    It is the conviction of the offence that counts for insurance purposes. You were caught doing something that adds risk to you as the driver and changes your rating on the policy,
    Yeah, yeah, I know all that, and if you read my question that is NOT what I was asking.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    I just posted this in a similar thread -- you may find it informative

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...=1#post1772828
    Awww man!! Really?!? I have to wait 3 years for the surcharges to go down?!
    criminals get off easier for doing worse things then going 15 over.

...I was always under the impression that insurance only takes into consideration the minor infractions from the past 2 years.
    Even when you get an insurance quote, they ask how man tickets you've gotten in the past 2 years. Not 3.

Is this something new?
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

What about accidents? I have one from May 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    Awww man!! Really?!? I have to wait 3 years for the surcharges to go down?!
    criminals get off easier for doing worse things then going 15 over.

...I was always under the impression that insurance only takes into consideration the minor infractions from the past 2 years.
    Even when you get an insurance quote, they ask how man tickets you've gotten in the past 2 years. Not 3.

Is this something new?
    I don't know of any companies off hand that don't surcharge the full three years for minor convictions. Which company is only asking for the last two years of history?

The surcharge for a minor conviction is small. The first is usually not surcharged at all, and then you will get about a 10% surcharge for each minor after that. It shouldn't be a big deal for most people.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FitzR6 View Post
    What about accidents? I have one from May 2010.
    It varies by company, but your claim will stay on record with CGI (i.e. independent third party who tracks claims) for six years. For most companies, the claim will affect you for six years with decreasing intensity for each year that you remain claims free.

FYI, you can order a free copy of your "Auto Plus" report (one per year) from CGI to see what claims are on your record:
    http://portal.cgi-ibs.com/en-CA/iis/...lusReport.aspx

All insurance companies consider at-fault accidents within 6 years when judging the acceptability of each individual. For example, they might have in their underwriting rules something like: "No more than two At-Fault accidents in the last 6 years" - so if you have 3, they won't take you and you have to move on to a "higher-risk" insurer. They will also have different combinations that make someone ineligible such as "1at fault in last 6yrs + 3minor tickets in last 3 years and/or 1cancellation for nonpayment in last 3years". A lot of insurance companies are now rewarding clients who have been claims free for more than 6 years - in some cases going up to 10years. In some cases, certain insurance companies are also not charging extra premium for a single at-fault accident where the payout was less than $1000. For FitzR6, one At-Fault accident is not so bad - it happened and life goes on - but just don't get other things like tickets, or cancellations for nonpayment because once it all adds up, you might become a "high-risk" aka "costly premium".
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

Your convictions will be gone when I mess with your reality.

I'll get my coat now...
    There is no planet B.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    It varies by company, but your claim will stay on record with CGI (i.e. independent third party who tracks claims) for six years. For most companies, the claim will affect you for six years with decreasing intensity for each year that you remain claims free.

FYI, you can order a free copy of your "Auto Plus" report (one per year) from CGI to see what claims are on your record:
    http://portal.cgi-ibs.com/en-CA/iis/...lusReport.aspx