Convictions on insurance record

Thread: Convictions on insurance record

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Convictions on insurance record

Hi guys,

I always thought that tickets stay on your driving record for 3 years from the date of the conviction. My broker says that it stays 3 years from when your insurance renews and they start charging you for it. So if you get a ticket in may but insurance doesn't renew until September... you ill be charged 3 years until September?

Can anyone confirm this, seems fishy to me.
    Last edited by KrazyBones; 04-17-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Re: Convictions on insurance record

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyBones View Post
    Hi guys,

I always thought that tickets stay on your driving record for 3 years from the date of the conviction. My broker says that it stays 3 years from when your insurance renews and they start charging you for it. So if you get a ticket in may but insurance doesn't renew until September... you ill be charged 3 years until September?

They only pull your record when they renew your policy. If your ticket comes off mid year you'll be paying the higher price for the entire year. But on the next renewal you'll be golden.

If your insurance renews after the ticket has came off (3 years from the date of the conviction) there is absolutely no way they will charge you for the ticket as it's no longer on your abstract.

What company you with?

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Hi guys,

The conviction remains on your abstract for three years from the date of conviction (not offence date).
    Last edited by Kedo; 04-18-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Your MTO abstract updates in real time, but your convictions history used by the insurer for rating doesn't change until renewal. Your MTO abstract will clear you conviction three years after the date of conviction OR the date you were proven guilty in court (whichever comes latest).
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

3 years from date of conviction. I know because for the last 5 years or so I've consistently maxed out my 2 minor-tickets allowance and juggled a third in the court system. By the time renewal comes around, one ticket has fallen off my abstract while another has been added, once again giving me room to juggle a third ticket. If you're not sure when your tickets fall off your record just call up your insurer and ask.

I will get my abstract and make sure everything is legit.

I will get my abstract and make sure everything is legit.
    When you get it post it (edit out your info) and we can compare abstracts I have one that's 8 pages long from way back when

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...