Plate sticker ticket!!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plate sticker ticket!!!

Re: Plate sticker ticket!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    That is a VERY nitpick of a ticket. Pretty lame how the OP got one.

The officer was either looking for something to ding the OP with cause of something he did, or cause said LEO isn't very nice.
    The OP got pulled over for a reason other than this sticker; there's no way the officer knew that the sticker wasn't on the ownership prior to the traffic stop.

I asked what the OP initially got pulled over for, he hasn't answered despite just posting here minutes ago.

I suspect this MAY be a case of being pulled over for some form of moving violation and getting this ticket instead... but I'm still waiting for his answer.

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    The OP got pulled over for a reason other than this sticker; there's no way the officer knew that the sticker wasn't on the ownership prior to the traffic stop.

I asked what the OP initially got pulled over for, he hasn't answered despite just posting here minutes ago.

I suspect this MAY be a case of being pulled over for some form of moving violation and getting this ticket instead... but I'm still waiting for his answer.
    At this time of year it's quite common to be pulled over on a bike, for no reason other than a document check.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    At this time of year it's quite common to be pulled over on a bike, for no reason other than a document check.
    True, as many people pull the bike out of the garage and hit the road with no validation and / or insurance, having not yet gotten the new season sorted out. But as mentioned, I'm thinking there's more to this story especially as he hasn't answered the question, nor has he mentioned that he was on a bike.

True, as many people pull the bike out of the garage and hit the road with no validation and / or insurance, having not yet gotten the new season sorted out. But as mentioned, I'm thinking there's more to this story especially as he hasn't answered the question, nor has he mentioned that he was on a bike.
    I was on my bike. He pulled me over because he said I was speeding. He followed me for about 5 seconds and pulled me over. I kept denying it and he moved onto the sticker. We were driving the same direction. Before we started our convo he said everything is being recorded (video/mic) i said okay. I guess he did not have any grounds to give me a speedign ticket since no scanner was involved and I did not admit to it. I am 99.9% sure I was doing the speed limit.

So is it because of no evidence that he did not write me a speeding ticket?

If he didn't have mobile radar he still could have gone with pacing evidence, although 5 seconds is a little short for that, unless he was there longer than you think. Also, if he was going to pace, he'd want to have a reasonably high speed to remove any question of speedo error, despite the calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulza View Post
    I was on my bike. He pulled me over because he said I was speeding. He followed me for about 5 seconds and pulled me over. I kept denying it and he moved onto the sticker. We were driving the same direction. Before we started our convo he said everything is being recorded (video/mic) i said okay. I guess he did not have any grounds to give me a speedign ticket since no scanner was involved and I did not admit to it. I am 99.9% sure I was doing the speed limit.

So is it because of no evidence that he did not write me a speeding ticket?
    2008 SuperDuke (current)
    2003 WR450F / SM (current)
    2005 DRZ400SM
    2003 XR50R (current, son's)
    1997 TL1000S
    1999 SV650S
    1985 GS750EF
    1983 GPz750
    1982 Nighthawk 650

The officer could have technically gave you a ticket for speeding, proof or no.

Proving it in court is an entirely different story.

Its too bad you got this ticket. I can't think of why he gave it to you. ****** deal.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

If he didn't have mobile radar he still could have gone with pacing evidence, although 5 seconds is a little short for that, unless he was there longer than you think. Also, if he was going to pace, he'd want to have a reasonably high speed to remove any question of speedo error, despite the calibration.
    Or he wanted to provide something other than, "I wanted to check your license, ownership, and insurance" as a reason for pulling him over. Also quite common.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Or he wanted to provide something other than, "I wanted to check your license, ownership, and insurance" as a reason for pulling him over. Also quite common.
    I had a cop actually tell me when he pulled me over he was "just checking paperwork". I thought they needed an actual reason to initiate the stop?!

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

law is the law. Now as you said, he pulled you over because he said you were speeding.

Take the option 2, explain you didn't know that the white sticker was to go on the ownership, and the DMV didn't put it on for you when you went in for either.
    Chance's are good it will be dropped down.
    Check out the back of your ownership to see what it says. It says you are to present it for validation....
    Unless you got it in the mail, they should have asked and done it for you (or they have when I've done mine)

To waste your day and the courts time for this seems dumb to me. Its alot of petty crap that ties up the court system.
    riding a moped is like having sex with a fat chick.
    sure it may be fun, but you don't want your friends to find out

00 ZX12R

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    I had a cop actually tell me when he pulled me over he was "just checking paperwork". I thought they needed an actual reason to initiate the stop?!

-Jamie M.
    I have too. Case law says that just a document check is a valid reason.

-Jamie M.
    They can pull you over for anything they see fit.
    They can actually pull you over for a saftey check on your vehicle as well. And I wished they do more of that. Man there are some big POS's out on the roads!!!
    riding a moped is like having sex with a fat chick.
    sure it may be fun, but you don't want your friends to find out

00 ZX12R

Quote Originally Posted by SXE MX6 View Post
    Take the option 2, explain ....Chance's are good it will be dropped down.
    That's super bad advice. Fight it as if your license is on the line!

You DON'T want this conviction on your record. Don't listen to Sexy up there.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

The cop seemed in a bad mood from the start. Anyways, as toysareforboys explained, I am going to get an appointment with a prosecutor, If he doesnt drop it ill take it to court. No deals.

Thanks for all the help guys!

The sticker on your permit is evidence that you didn't just steal the plate sticker off someone else's vehicle, so it's not really a 'nitpick.' Almost got nailed for that one, myself, because the dealer I bought a new bike from didn't bother to affix the sticker to the ownership.
    No. When a plate is runned by the police the last validation date is displayed on the record check. With that information available upon a plate search why would you even come up with someone stealing the sticker off someone's plate as a scenario?

@ Bulza: Just take the ticket to court. This is a ticket issued under poor discretion.
    2006 Black Tribal Honda CBR600RR - Current
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F - SOLD
    1992 Kawasaki Ninja 500 - SOLD

2006 Acura TSX 6MT
    2002 Honda S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Carriers View Post
    No. When a plate is runned by the police the last validation date is displayed on the record check. With that information available upon a plate search why would you even come up with someone stealing the sticker off someone's plate as a scenario?

@ Bulza: Just take the ticket to court. This is a ticket issued under poor discretion.
    Because a record check is not a guaranteed event and because performing one was not always possible, so the law has not kept up with technology.

That's super bad advice. Fight it as if your license is on the line!

You DON'T want this conviction on your record. Don't listen to Sexy up there.

-Jamie M.
    No it isn't.

Have you read Moby Dick? Or do you understand the moral of the story at least? Our court system is the white whale.

i had this happen once, got pulled over from making too many lane changes and forgetting to make use of the indicator...it's one of those "exit the highway and the first light gotta make a left, so need to skip over 4 lanes"...needless to say, he let me off from the illegal lane change, spotted the license plate sticker missing and gave me a ticket for that...well, i had just bought the vehicle in the last few months, so the new ownership had it printed on instead...but in any case, paying it doesn't affect your drivers abstract, it's just a fine, like not having the ownership signed...but still, fight it if it costs less to do so...

Quote Originally Posted by Carriers View Post

Because a record check is not a guaranteed event and because performing one was not always possible, so the law has not kept up with technology.
    And technology sometimes doesn't work so that sticker is the actual evidence of validation for THAT vehicle. Further, any information that a cop gets from the computer is hearsay and not necessarily admissible in court other than it allows the officer to believe that an offense has been committed or continue in the investigation.