Group Insurance: how does it work?

Thread: Group Insurance: how does it work?

Question Group Insurance: how does it work?

can someone shed light on how group insurance through Employers/Alumni work?

we were looking for insurance through the regular routes, and i was quoted between $9000-11000+/yr, for two vehicles for me and my mom; this is without any at-fault accidents or tickets between the two of us

when i included my mother's School Board group insurance through RBC, we got a $5000 quote that's nearly $6000 in savings

how does that work? why are group insurance so much cheaper?

Re: Group Insurance: how does it work?

Was it $5000 cheaper than the cheapest non-group quote from RBC? The premium different between group and non-group usually isn't that significant.

Group rating usually applies the insurance company's regular rating algorithm to calculate your rate, but then determines a discount based on the favourable claims experience of the group as a whole. If the school board happens to have a large pool of drivers who are rarely at fault in collisions and cause few damages, then this will be rewarded by a good group discount.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Re: Group Insurance: how does it work?

Being a part of a group or member of an association could help you get discounted rates with certain companies but as VifferFun pointed out, the savings shouldn't be that huge. In my experience, group/association rates range from 5% to 20% off. To be honest, the quotes of 9k to 11k sound way too extreme. I would advise you to shop the "direct" companies using websites like kanetix.ca and insurancehotline.com - or contact a broker (like myself, or anyone else you know) to check the broker-based insurance companies as well.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"