Insurance for 20 Year Old M1 Driver

Thread: Insurance for 20 Year Old M1 Driver

• Display

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Insurance for 20 Year Old M1 Driver

Hey guys,

Just to let everyone know, I am new to this forum, I have searched the forum, and have not been able to find a thread which answers this question to this exact degree. From my situation (as well as what you can tell from the title) I understand I am going to be financially raped by this, but I guess you just have to eat it for the first year or so.

Now the problem is, finding a goddamn insurance company that will even consider me without a 4-6 thousand dollar upfront fee. I will have finished the Gearing Up Humber course at the end of the May long weekend, and was looking at buying a 2006 Suzuki GZ250. I got my M1 on April 10th of this year, and will have my M2 on June 9th. I've been licensed as a driver for 3 years about now (got my G1 in Nov 2008 ). I was hoping to buy the bike the week after I finish up at Humber. Given my situation, I've looked around at like...about 10 different insurance companies, and they drop their crap about needing a minimum of 3 years experience or 5 years driving experience to even be considered. If you guys can sort of steer me in the right direction, I would be greatly appreciative of it. I am fine with paying a 3 term, 7 term, or monthly, its just that this full payment up front thing is a joke. What bothers me more, is that the company I am currently under with my car insurance (Grey Power) was going to insure me, then when I went to verify a quote I had gotten from them literally the day before, they tell me I was misinformed, and that by the time I buy the bike, the policy won't apply to me anymore since they are changing it to needing 3 years minimum experience next month. Yay!

The thing I find hilarious about these insurance companies, is that they all claim to want experienced riders, yet someone who just gets licensed has no method of gaining legitimate experience without being insured. Makes no sense to me.

PS: Driving record is spotless, I've been insured on a G2 since May 2010. No accidents, no tickets. I live in Sauga
    Last edited by sieg777; 04-17-2012 at 04:16 PM.