Big, short-notice trip - to NC via PA, Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the dragon - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big, short-notice trip - to NC via PA, Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the dragon

Re: Big, short-notice trip - to NC via PA, Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the dragon

I agree with oomis suggestions 100%. Ride at a good pace and get alot of the mileage done in the first day. I did a similar trip in Oct 2011.

I suggest you start early and aim for Winchester, Virginia for the first day. It's about 20mins north of Front Royal and Skyline Drive. Also, in Winchester, there is a really affordable Best Western with Plenty of rooms, and they give you a voucher for the Perkins restaurant located in the lobby. (great b-fast!) Rooms were less than $70 USD.
    Link to the BW:
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&...&ved=0CKoBELYD

I stayed there twice! One enroute to BRP and once on the way back.

Leaving early in the AM, I topped up my 21 litre tank in Front Royal and hit Skyline drive in a ALOT of fog.

Riding hard and stopping only 3 times (1st to pee, 2nd to eat, 3rd for Fuel again) I just made it to Fancy Gap, VA before dusk.

The BRP is an incredible road and ALOT of fun but all warnings here should be considered.
    -Dawn/Dusk rides brings out the animals.
    -Fuel is NOT marked on the BRP so go on the website and print out the lists of Fuel stops by mile marker
    -The BRP is difficult to do in a short amount of time.
    -Don't skip any of the BRP. It's all amazing.

Good luck and have fun!
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Re: Big, short-notice trip - to NC via PA, Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the dragon

Quote Originally Posted by honduhmatic View Post

We're getting off-topic, but I'm beginning to think that I'd be a good fit for a bike like an ST1100 or a BMW R_RT. We'll see.
    Oh Nonsense!

I rode to the Cabot trail and back on my old 1986 VF500. It was a 24 year old bike with about 50,000kms of neglected mileage and it was no problem.

If you're fiancee will be worried about you while you're away, get a Spot GPS tracker. My family loved it when I went out east. they followed me all the way from their computers.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by honduhmatic View Post
    My fiancee is worried about whether I'll be stranded, wrecked, whether I'll crash, get lost, etc. She knows I'm safe but she cares a lot, so she's worried. It's frustrating but I understand.
    There's an old saying "hope for the best but plan for the worst" and its really appropo for long distance travelling. When I had my accident in Vermont a few years ago, aside from my motorcycle insurance, I purchased separate travel insurance, had CAA plus and an emergency credit card. Being hauled off the side of a mountain road by ambulance isn't fun - but honestly, you can have an accident in Ontario just as easily as when you're touring - its just less expensive in terms of initial monetary outlay, and certainly a lot less complicated than being injured in a foreign country - but stuff happens. Telling your girlfriend you could get hurt on the Forks of the Credit just as easily as on the Dragon probably wouldn't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieGirl View Post
    Telling your girlfriend you could get hurt on the Forks of the Credit just as easily as on the Dragon probably wouldn't help much.
    This is a great point - but it's a point I won't make because I want to keep riding!!! (And it's fiancée, while we're tip-toeing around difficult subjects .)

Anyways guys, what's done is done and at least the house is peaceful. As I said, my fiancée loves riding 2-up and would be much more open to a trip together.

Thanks for the input everyone, and I look forward to putting it to use someday.
    Last edited by honduhmatic; 04-23-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Blue Ridge parkway is amazing...some sections are just spectacular to see...but the speed limit is WAY too slow. I couldn't stand the slow limit and took side routes / interstates after 1/2 day on the Blue Ridge.

Don't forget the troopers targeteting speeders on the blue ridege

*shrug*

Long distance touring isn't everyone's cup of tea. I hope that you get to sip from this cup eventually.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.