Sportbike Quick Shifter

Thread: Sportbike Quick Shifter

Sportbike Quick Shifter

Hey guys I saw this video on YouTube(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9peEoViUrA) and a buddy of mine said I could do the something it without that shifter. Anyone have knowledge on this and would it damage my bike? I have 2006 ZZR600 (this is my first bike)

Re: Sportbike Quick Shifter

edit: forget what i said below. you want to do this with out the actual unit....

They are nice to have.

http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/en/bluestreakracing_motorcycle_accessories/power_commander_module/quick_shifters/annitori_rl_quickshifter.html

I think what you're asking is how to do clutchless upshifts? It's simple. While accelerating, pre-load your shift lever by gently applying pressure upwards with your toe. When you're ready to shift you simply let off the throttle for a microsecond and then get back on it. Do it quickly. The upshift will happen automatically at the moment you let off the throttle (you'll feel the gear snick into place). You can downshift without the clutch too but I don't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
    I think what you're asking is how to do clutchless upshifts? It's simple. While accelerating, pre-load your shift lever by gently applying pressure upwards with your toe. When you're ready to shift you simply let off the throttle for a microsecond and then get back on it. Do it quickly. The upshift will happen automatically at the moment you let off the throttle (you'll feel the gear snick into place). You can downshift without the clutch too but I don't recommend it.
    that's all I needed to know... that it's not a recommend... won't be trying it now LOL

to downshift, you need to blip the throttle with pressure down on the shifter, I rarely use my clutch above 2nd gear, up or down. I find it easier to find neutral as well from second while rolling
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by menace009 View Post
    that's all I needed to know... that it's not a recommend... won't be trying it now LOL
    Nah don't worry, go on and try upshifting with your hand off the clutch. It feels great! I only said I don't recommend clutchless downshift because a poorly timed downshift can result in lurching and may add strain to the drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by krrakt View Post
    to downshift, you need to blip the throttle with pressure down on the shifter, I rarely use my clutch above 2nd gear, up or down. I find it easier to find neutral as well from second while rolling
    I'll try that thanks. I've only tried clutchless downshifting at sissy speeds or by accident so I'm willing to learn.

my bike (daytona 675R) came stock with the quick shifter shown in the video. but any daytona 675 (I believe 2009 +) is capable of using the triumph plug and play quick shifter. No power commands or other items needed.

Is it needed, to be honest nope and I would not have it unless it came stock. The triumph one do note you should be above 6000rpm before using it, else the biek is not happy. At the same time on the street its really not needed. I up shift with clutch in 1/2 a second or better. Unless you are racing or really pushing it at track to save that extra 1/4 second off track time, its not worth it.

Also the method of up shifting mentioned above is valid. Its even covered in the Total Control book. The reason you use clutch is to remove load from the transmission. If you do this method right, the load is removed when you release the throttle. This is actually what the quick shifter is doing for you. Its sensing the pressure of your foot pushing up and quickly cuts the engine to remove the load off the transmission to allow the up shift without breaking anything. Of course the quick shifter can do it faster then most of us probably could do it.But again we are talking fractions of a seconds here so unless racing save your cash. Personally I am more interested in a slipper clutch, even for the street.
    Last edited by GT_Hawk; 04-17-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Clutchless upshifts are no problem, as noted above.

Downshifts are more challenging and I just don't see the point.

The shift assist, which I have on my bike, provides a very different experience IMO. You can upshift without hesitation and with wide open throttle. That's a lot different than backing off the throttle to upshift.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Back in the day the quick guys all ran reverse shift pattern, (also known as GP shift). Guess what? Not that I was one of them but all my bikes have been reverse pattern. Now if you combine reverse pattern with clutchless shifting you get lower lap times. Plus, it’s just a plain cool feeling stomping through the gears faster then you can say, two, three, four, five, six.
    the Dreamer
    (a.k.a. Ducati Dreamin' Stephen)
    '98 900 Ducati SS FE silFEr For Sale
    Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    The shift assist, which I have on my bike, provides a very different experience IMO. You can upshift without hesitation and with wide open throttle. That's a lot different than backing off the throttle to upshift.
    Hmm yep, I watched a clip of this in action and the throttle was clearly wide open through the gear changes. Sounds like the system controls spark/fuel delivery in order to give adequate time to shift. This has the same effect as blipping off the throttle only much quicker. I believe this is what GT Hawk was describing.

Quote Originally Posted by rib View Post
    edit: forget what i said below. you want to do this with out the actual unit....

They are nice to have.

http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/en/bl...ckshifter.html
    Just a slight technical note on a quick shifter with the Power Commander and the Yamaha R6 (might be the same on other bikes too).

How a quick shifter works is it cuts the engine for a split second right as you kick it up a gear. The power commander normally does this by killing the fuel injectors. The problem with the R6 is it only kills the four primary injectors, so if you're over 7000rpm and go to "quick shift" it will still clunk pretty bad if you're WOT.

You can get the dynojet module to control the secondary injectors and the problem will be solved, or the ignition module to cut the spark instead of fuel, etc. I just wanted to make you aware that JUST the power commander and a quick shifter might not be the complete solution for your bike.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Hmm yep, I watched a clip of this in action and the throttle was clearly wide open through the gear changes. Sounds like the system controls spark/fuel delivery in order to give adequate time to shift. This has the same effect as blipping off the throttle only much quicker. I believe this is what GT Hawk was describing.
    Yep. It's actually the fuel injection that is interrupted for a millisecond or so.

I was watching and listening to the S1000RR's at Mosport last summer and the sound of the shifting made me smile each time. It makes a distinct mwhabb sort of sound as they kick it up.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

that is what I am describing. The Quick shifter cuts the engine in some manner. Could be fuel cut or other method, but it removed load this way form transmission allowing the up shift smoothly. It just is faster then what we can do by blipping (reducing fuel)
    Last edited by GT_Hawk; 04-18-2012 at 04:39 PM.

after reading all the post i tho i would give it a try anyways :P works just like you guys said it would, but i had a problem and im not sure what had happened. I was in 4 shifting up to 5 and the tranny and from what i could tell the chain was making a funny sound(the sound you get when your not fully in a gear and the tranny throws the gear back out) and by the time i grab the clutch and shifted up my gear indicator showed i was in 3 :S... WTF happened?!

Quote Originally Posted by menace009 View Post
    after reading all the post i tho i would give it a try anyways :P works just like you guys said it would, but i had a problem and im not sure what had happened. I was in 4 shifting up to 5 and the tranny and from what i could tell the chain was making a funny sound(the sound you get when your not fully in a gear and the tranny throws the gear back out) and by the time i grab the clutch and shifted up my gear indicator showed i was in 3 :S... WTF happened?!
    Sounds odd, never happened to me before but then I also don't have a gear indicator. Maybe you didn't fully engage 5th gear (so still in 4th), heard the rattle, clutched-in and stepped down on the shift lever thinking you were putting it back into 4th but actually downshifting to 3rd? Or maybe fiddled it down to 2nd while the clutch was in so you ended up in 3rd when you kicked it back up? I dunno...

Anyway, I hope when you restarted the bike the gear indicator reset itself. Fun though, no?