painting fairings recommend brand?

Thread: painting fairings recommend brand?

Exclamation painting fairings recommend brand?

I'm thinking of painting the white sections as they are hard to keep clean. Has anyone used a specific brand for ABS other than what's at CT?

Re: painting fairings recommend brand?

Specific brand of WHAT ... Paint?

If you want a good result with a shiny automotive-quality finish then you have to prepare the surface properly followed by primer and base-coat and clear-coat. The average person does not have either the equipment or the skills to do this SAFELY and have a good outcome. Urethane clear-coat in particular emits isocyanate fumes when sprayed and these are VERY bad for you.

If you want an automotive quality finish then this is a job best left to the professionals.

If you don't have the appropriate equipment then google "$50 paint job", the finish won't quite be as shiny (and the process is a lot more time consuming!) but I've seen some remarkably good jobs done this way. Can't do metallics, can't do pearl or mica or other such effects, won't have a deep clear-coat finish.
    Last edited by Brian P; 04-17-2012 at 12:17 PM.

thanks for the advice, may just cover the scratch with a decal!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
    thanks for the advice, may just cover the scratch with a decal!
    LoL... I thought you were painting it because the white was "hard to keep clean"?

Personally, I don't like repainting anything because the colour won't be a 100% match, it bothers me.
    I'll shop for used fairing pieces on Kijiji or Ebay and hopefully find the piece I'm looking for.
    If it bothers me too much and I can't find a used piece, I'll just go to the dealer and get an OEM replacement.
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    If it bothers me too much and I can't find a used piece, I'll just go to the dealer and get an OEM replacement.
    And here I was thinking that they never sell fairings...

Quote Originally Posted by oren102 View Post
    And here I was thinking that they never sell fairings...
    They do... They just cost an arm and a leg.
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    They do... They just cost an arm and a leg.
    Yes I know I was leaning more towards the point that I didn't believe that people like you existed. I bet you they deal a lot with insurance companies too.

Quote Originally Posted by oren102 View Post
    Yes I know I was leaning more towards the point that I didn't believe that people like you existed. I bet you they deal a lot with insurance companies too.
    lol... gotcha...
    I just bought a brand new OEM tank for an 06 Gsx-r 750... they wanted $9xx + Tax lol...
    Mina