dead battery in less than 24 hrs?! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dead battery in less than 24 hrs?!

Re: dead battery in less than 24 hrs?!

thanks for the replies/input/offers. i will do my basic troubleshooting, just been crazy busy lately. the bike has just been sitting in the garage. when i moved the bike yesterday to a different spot, i did try to roll start it and it started. another thing i noticed is that the lights get brighter when i rev the engine. though the electric starter still will not start the bike. it doesnt even turn over when i attempt to use the electric starter.

anyhow, i will be getting a charger and attempt to charge the battery and check the volt reading as suggested. hopefully the issue is just the battery. i wouldnt want to get a new battery and drain/kill it due to an underlying issue (ie: parasitic drain etc).

i'll keep you guys posted.

To eliminate parasitic drain charge battery then just leave. If voltage drops with nothing connected then bingo battery is shot.

hello peeps,

so i was finally able to obtain a charger and now the battery is hooked up and charging.

anyhow, before removing the battery from the bike, i measured the volts.
    1) everything off - it was reading at 9.74
    2) ignition on - went down to 8.3 something and it kept changing but it keeps getting lower
    3) attempted to start the bike with the electric starter - went down to 5 something

i didnt get measurement with the engine running. i couldnt get the bike to roll start. engine was probably too cold and i ran out of juice hahahah.

the contact points on the battery looks ok, no corrosion and so are the cables. the battery drain hose was looped up at the bottom of the frame which caused some fluid to accumulate on the bottom of the loop. not sure why the end was curved up. pointed it down now though.

hopefully tomorrow, i will reinstall the battery and check and keep you guys posted. thanks.

5:12

9.74 is much too low.

It should be reading about 12.08 when the key is on.

so far battery is still charging, almost 12 hrs now. reading while charging is 13.something.

hello everyone,

(money is on jon jones )

so the battery was fully charged (according to the charger) after about 15-17 hrs. the reading was 12.94 right after i disconnected the charger, and it remained the same for about an hour after.

i decided to let the battery sit and after about approx 6 hrs, i took another reading and this time it read 12.84. is this normal for the period it sat?

i reinstalled the battery on to the bike and here are the measurements:

engine/ignition off: 12.82
    ignition on: 11.91
    while starting: jumps to 12 and change (w/ choke: 12.38, w/o choke: 12)
    idle: 12 (no choke)
    revving: 13.7
    after all the above with engine off, ignition on: 11.84
    after all the above with engine off, ignition off: 12.3

so what's the verdict here? battery is on it's way out!?

it appears that the bike is charging the battery right (higher reading when revving)?! is this a correct analysis?! thanks.
    Last edited by 5:12; 04-22-2012 at 01:51 AM.