Insurance recommendation for vintage bikes.

Thread: Insurance recommendation for vintage bikes.

Insurance recommendation for vintage bikes.

I would appreciate any insurance experts here than can enlighten me on the process of insuring a vintage bike and who can insure such a vehicle on Ontario. Looking for an estimate. When I say vintage I mean 30+ years.

Many thanks in advance

Simon

Re: Insurance recommendation for vintage bikes.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we have such a thing here in Ontario....and if it's too old, you might not even get insurance for it...I hope what I have heard is wrong, and someone will set me straight....

I am assuming you want to insure it to ride, not insured as a collector....
    Last edited by GateKeeper; 04-16-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

One of my bikes is over 30 and the other will be 30 next year. They are insured with Jevco. Didn't really shop around. If you're using them I don't think it matters much. If you're classifying them as "Vintage" (read "show") then the rates may be lower, but you can only drive them for parades or to shows or to a mechanic, not for daily commuting.

Lyndsay summed it up pretty well. Most people with older bikes (but still rode regularly) have success with Jevco. It is is indeed a show bike for parades, shows, etc. ONLY, then an Antique policy may be for you (which is usually only $150 - $300/yr).
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsay View Post
    One of my bikes is over 30 and the other will be 30 next year. They are insured with Jevco. Didn't really shop around. If you're using them I don't think it matters much. If you're classifying them as "Vintage" (read "show") then the rates may be lower, but you can only drive them for parades or to shows or to a mechanic, not for daily commuting.
    I guess my bike will be Vintage, and be going to my mechanic a lot......
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

Quote Originally Posted by topendz View Post
    I would appreciate any insurance experts here than can enlighten me on the process of insuring a vintage bike and who can insure such a vehicle on Ontario. Looking for an estimate. When I say vintage I mean 30+ years.

Many thanks in advance

Simon
    contact Dalton Timmis Insurance at www.homeforchrome.com

Generally 30+ year old riders with M, good riding record and claims history with a classic or vintage bike for limited (<5000km/year) use for recreation (not routine transportation) can get a vintage bike plan underwritten by Aviva Insurance. Full coverage is usually required and bikes are insured under an agreed value arrangement requiring an appraisal by a qualified old bike appraiser on Dalton Timmis's approved list.

Been using this plan for the past 8 years.

AFJ

Jevco and SF is the only ones known to me ..... if your bike has a short VIN number (chances are pretty good), everybody else will pretty much walk away. They have the market for themselves as far as I am concerned. I guess it's not too big of market here ...

People use vintage term ... what does it mean anyway? If you want to ride the bike street legally, the only thing which matters is the age of the machine.
    Last edited by mxs; 04-19-2012 at 12:34 PM.

My experience exactly, mxs. My BMW has a short VIN and TD Insurance refused to quote for just that reason. I tried both Jevco and John Duffy Ins. and both appear not to have a problem with the VIN. I'll see what SF can do for me.

Update: Went with John Duffy with the lowest premium. Heads up: They needed scan of ownership, photos of VIN plate, chassis number and engine number from me for underwriter to assess.
    Last edited by robmack; 04-25-2012 at 05:59 AM.
    - Robert.
    1988 BMW K100RT
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

My vintage BMW has been with Dalton Timmins on a vintage policy (less than 5000 kms per year I think) for about $300 a year. I had it previously with TD on regular policy for more than twice that premium.

jevco, ridersplus (echelon) and dalton timmis will offer insurance but only liability. i cant remember which is which but pretty much the cut off is 20 yrs old bike for a policy with more than just liability. atleast this is what i got when i called around.

Jevco / Dalton Timmins, and it's not just for parades and stuff, you can ride around normally.